Recommendations on best 16 or 18in bar and chain combo.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ever you want mate, 261 does a 16" good, it does not do a 20" good. That's a 60cc or 70cc realm to do good.

There are so many variables. If all he has is the 261, I'd save my money and run the 20. I have an MS 290 with a 20, and I'd run it all day in 20" Oak, and brother, I have saws bigger. I have 50 or more saws and most are over 70CC's. 70CC's is my cut off of what I collect. From the time I was about 20 till I was 45 I used nothing but a Homelite Super 1050. I had two then, one 24" and one 36". Then I started getting old and bought a few smaller saws. I run my little MS170 much more than I ever expected I would. I much prefer to cut from one side. I've got the equipment to lift logs off the ground so I don't run the chain in the dirt. Every one isn't old and have more equipment than they could use like me. If short is a home owner with one saw, save your money, there is not enough difference in the two to justify spending the money. Save the money till a bigger saw goes on sale and get that one. When ever I need more bar, I just buy a bigger saw. But, now I'm at the point I just buy bigger saws, because I like big saws.

Are you saying to eliminate any guess work?

70cc's to pull a 20" bar!?!?! lmao

261 will pull 20" in hard wood all day long. I've done it.

Unless you're trying to be at a super high production rate to make money, a 261 is plenty for cutting firewood.

Yes, it's the most famous chainsaw in the world, very potent. But if you're entering the 20" realm you're going to loose.

Yes, it's the most famous chainsaw in the world, very potent. But if you're entering the 20" realm you're going to loose.

Yeah...I'm not going to go race 70cc saws with my 50cc saw no matter how long the bar or how big the wood it's going to be slower. I don't care that a 70cc is faster because the 261 is fast enough.

I have 462...I use it when it's necessary. I got along with 50cc saws without issue for a long time.

Don’t forget there is the real world and the chainsaw forum world, where bigger is always better.
I change my vote.

@OP you need an 880 OR a 3120 and nothing smaller will suffice. Might want to even look into a custom built hot saw if you're really serious about 20" of hard wood.

I change my vote.

@OP you need an 880 OR a 3120 and nothing smaller will suffice. Might want to even look into a custom built hot saw if you're really serious about 20" of hard wood.

I'm not saying you cant do with a 260 at 20", just that the 380 magnum was recommended with a 15" to a 20" bar. That's 72cc of good old fashion low end torque.

I vote for 18" standard .325 with RM or Oregon BPX chain. I haven't had the pleasure of running a 261 but I'm sure it's every bit as capable as my 346 or 545. Both of those are 50 cc. I've cut logs around 16"-18" with both without issue. Firewood seems to be a very loose definition these days. To some people its 8-12" with an occasional big 20" and to others its 20" regularly.

I vote for 18" standard .325 with RM or Oregon BPX chain. I haven't had the pleasure of running a 261 but I'm sure it's every bit as capable as my 346 or 545. Both of those are 50 cc. I've cut logs around 16"-18" with both without issue. Firewood seems to be a very loose definition these days. To some people its 8-12" with an occasional big 20" and to others its 20" regularly.

That's a good 16" or a poor 18" in my mind, whatever you're cup of tea.

Latest posts

Back