Recommended A/M Top End?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That may have been me....yeah. it really depends on what you are doing. I like lots of oem stuff...it just tends to be more consistent. Some of the am stuff is ok....but I tend to not expect as much from the am stuff. I expect to have to port and or machine or clean up every am head... I expect oem heads to be nice enough to just slap on and go.

Trying to help a friend who straight gassed his 562 (2018 model year). I tried to bring the cylinder back but I'm not satisfied with the result so I'm looking for a piston and cylinder. What is your recommendation for an AM supplier of a piston and cylinder for a 562 that ships to Canada. Not having much luck with eBay / amazon.

Thanks!
2018?
Seems kinda soon for an AM "Hail Mary" for that saw.

From what little I understand, other than Pistons and Rings, even Meteor as one of the better AM's has hit or miss Cylinders.

Guy puts out the kind of $ a new 562 cost and then straight gasses it? Well he did not read the owners manual that's for sure. Now he wants to cheap out with AM junk? I think if he fixes it with new Husqvarna parts he will be a little more careful as these lessons cost money! Mike

Generally speaking I agree 2018 is early to go aftermarket. However, given the overall poor condition of the saw when it was straight gassed I stared looking for aftermarket components to keep the cost down.
The saw was replaced my a new 562 right away so this 2018 is a back up. I have a couple good dealers in town thar are putting a new oem P/C At around 375 CAN.
That seems fair to me but as I said I'd like to find a supplier selling meter or other reputable top end for comparison. Any suggestions?

Guy puts out the kind of $ a new 562 cost and then straight gasses it? Well he did not read the owners manual that's for sure. Now he wants to cheap out with AM junk? I think if he fixes it with new Husqvarna parts he will be a little more careful as these lessons cost money! Mike
In the grand scheme $150 is a really cheap lesson.
If

Generally speaking I agree 2018 is early to go aftermarket. However, given the overall poor condition of the saw when it was straight gassed I stared looking for aftermarket components to keep the cost down.
The saw was replaced my a new 562 right away so this 2018 is a back up. I have a couple good dealers in town thar are putting a new oem P/C At around 375 CAN.
That seems fair to me but as I said I'd like to find a supplier selling meter or other reputable top end for comparison. Any suggestions?
A meteor piston and cylinder is usually in the $120 neighborhood. Not worth it IMO for a $30 savings. So far nobody has recommended aftermarket...

from HL
https://www.hlsproparts.com/product-p/575-35-58-05.htm

I bought an after market P/C for a 359 husky (Farmertec) a month or so before husky started the price war (My way of phrasing the competitive pricing) on am cylinders. If it was my 359 I would swap the AM with OEM and set the AM on a back shelf. This is an old saw I find it hard to fathom wanting AM for a new(er) saw.
Then again I have a few brothers and that changes my perspective on things (I will refrain bringing my sisters into this).
I do wonder how Husqvarna is going fare in the long haul with OEM P/C's lower pricing. Saw owners can't ignore the difference in maintenance costs from Stihl vs. Husqvarna..
I am thinking market strategy like the Chrysler and Lee Iacocca scenario. Time will tell

Tom is in Australia, maybe his prices included shipping or he priced them local, chainsaw stuff is scary pricey in Aus.
You’re spot on mate, everything is more expensive out here. I think it’s a combination of less competition between dealers, greater distances the parts need to travel to get to the country and then to the distributors and many other factors I’m sure! I just use USD currency because most understand USD value over AUD value.

Right. But the professor ain't...

That is 2019 stihl list price for P/C set for 026. 2018 price was $225 USD

Don't blame the messenger, Stihl made the price not me.

P.S. I've not purchased a P/C set from a stihl dealer since the 1980s, but all my stihls have OEM cylinders, except a 038S > 038M conversion with an Italian Tecomec.

That is 2019 stihl list price for P/C set for 026. 2018 price was $225 USD

Don't blame the messenger, Stihl made the price not me.

P.S. I've not purchased a P/C set from a stihl dealer since the 1980s, but all my stihls have OEM cylinders, except a 038S > 038M conversion with an Italian Tecomec.
No blames here. I am in the "f'n ridiculous" boat right with ya. $225 top end for a $200 saw...

No blames here. I am in the "f'n ridiculous" boat right with ya. $225 top end for a $200 saw...

Stihl is very "proud" of their pistons too. A few years back they came back to earth and I should have stocked up on pistons. They are doubled now.

A member here had 026 OEM P/C sets for, I think, $90 years back. I wish I had got more than 1.

I've found both 064 and 038M NOS/OEM sets on ebay for ~ $120, but I was lucky.

The Tecomec Italian kits were OEM quality, but are now Chinesium. If you can find Italian ones, buy them.

Is it possible to tell the quality difference between a meteor piston and an OEM Stihl piston? I have heard such good things about meteor pistons and caber rings and they are so much cheaper of course.

What separates the two in real world application?

Is it possible to tell the quality difference between a meteor piston and an OEM Stihl piston? I have heard such good things about meteor pistons and caber rings and they are so much cheaper of course.

Name on the box. I use Meteor interchangeably with OEM.

I use my saws to make a living. YES, I have multiple saws with me at work so if one goes down production doesn't stop. With that said, I rebuilt some 562 xps back in the winter and Ive been using one of them every day since. Ive probably cut a million ft or so with it by now with ZERO issues. It had been ran lean and toasted the piston, bearings, etc.... I cleaned the factory cylinder up, put all new bearings and seals in it and a meteor piston and shes still running fine today. unless your cylinder is scored beyond repair I wouldn't hesitate at all to use a meteor piston!

Great quality, use them all the time on my rebuilds, I believe their company has been making parts since 1952, was stuck one time about a year ago and was forced to buy a oem piston for a 441 from a dealer-223$ can.- Meteor about 50$ on average

Back