Red Bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbvfd592

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok so we had a tornado ravage a part of own and one of my firehouse Buddy's property's got blowen to bits 45 pine spruce and sassafras trees came down but anyway, we worked o a sunday as did many other tree company's did but I ran out of bar oil today and the company down the road filled me with a bar oil i have no clue what it was but it worked great. i used stihl oil but f any of you guys know of good red oil please share the name so i can geta jug or 5

thanks

Poulan Pro bar oil is red and works great . About $4. a gallon . I like the RED too because it is easy to see when you are working . Also as i understand ECHO bar oil is the same stuff .

Rspike said:
Poulan Pro bar oil is red and works great . About $4. a gallon . I like the RED too because it is easy to see when you are working . Also as i understand ECHO bar oil is the same stuff .
Four bucks a gallon!!! I just paid $7.29 for a gallon of stihl. Where is this stuff,no echo or polan dealers around me.

I get the Poulan pro bar oil at TSC farm store . It comes in a black gallon jug . I know Home depot has Echo saws but unsure if they have the Echo bar oil. The poulan bar oil is nice and thick . The only time i have cut it to thin it was under 30 °

That red stuff sucks!

If you spray a wall or goes in the pool it turns it coffee coloured .... Stihl is nice and clear, no worries.

And it stinks like some old Hypoid90 diff oil, bloody regurgitated garbage.

You can take that red crap and shove it up the manufacturers ..... :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Yeah, but where you work it dont matter, people have heaters and fires not pools. haha

And looking at that last job with the pines the house could do with a paint job. lol

im not getting anymore the smell is getting to me,not many pools here ekka!

That redstuf could have been Cling Tuff out of ME. We use it at our shop and love the stuff we get it in 55 gallon drums.

what about when the nutter groundy doesn't do the oil cap up right and you start the saw ... everyone is looking at you a bit wierd like ....

.... then you look down and you copped a load of that ponging red crap all over ya ... stink the whole day like a wrecking yard.

But it is cheap.

Around here, the Poulan does cost $4/gal but comes in a bright green jug [Walmart, etc.] and is colored the same as regular auto motor oil. This stuff I've found to be bad news...it does not remain on the chain/bar around the tip. The Echo and Stihl are colored slightly reddish and are sticky and work great, the Echo $6, Stihl $7.50 or so. They look identical in appearance and may well be the same stuff.

I suppose there must be more than one "Poulan" out there from what people are saying. I won't go near it again. Gave mine away.

Pic of the Poulan pro bar oil i am talking about . Also, i would stay away from the green jug of Poulan. I wouldnt use WalMart oil , it not good stuff . There are no "swiming pools" or "houses" out in the woods where i cut trees so the red bar oil is not an issue .

Rspike, your jugs are the same shape as the green ones. Perhaps there are two different qualities marketed of Poulan oils, don't remember if the green jug I got rid of said "Pro." Perhaps "Pro" is the better version.

I bet Poulan is marketing a cheap version to places like Walmart. They sure wouldn't be the only suppliers to do that sort of thing. I only picked it up because I didn't want to drive 20 miles to my usual Stihl/Echo source and happened to see it on the shelf as I walked by. I suppose one could say I got what I paid for. Lesson learned: I get extra now when I buy some good stuff.
Buyer beware.

I'm nearly finished with a gallon jug of the Poulan green stuff which I got from Walmart. The Stihl dealer was closed the day I needed it and walmart is practically next door so I bought it. I don't notice any difference between it and the Stihl bar oil I used prior. I DID, however, see on the container, next to the date code, "30 WT" stamped on it. So I think we know what it is now.

I just found in the garage a few unopened quarts of Castrol 20W/50 that I used to run in my Honda Civic in the summer, been sitting there for ages... think I'll mix them with the poulan and put them to good use.

Last edited:
Bar oil is one of the least technical things to come out of a refinery. There is NO difference in the quality of bar oil from any particular manufacturer. THere are 2 basic types 10 weight for winter use and 30 weightt for anything above freezing. THe dye is the ONLY option a manufacturer (Stihl , Husky, Poulan etc) has. The exception to this is vegetable based bar oil. I get this info from a retired lubrication engineer from Texaco. Buy the cheapest bar oil you can find and be done with it.

I'm not sure about that information concerning bar oil. I've seen a lot of different types of "summer" bar and chain oil and they differ a lot. Most aren't dyed any particular color but some have a chemical smell while others do not. I've used many types, including the MAG1 stuff from Farm and Barn to Stihl and Echo oil.

I've noticed that some oils have a greater ability to cling to the bar and chain. This is just my impression of the oil. I haven't done any scientific tests other than using the oil while cutting wood. I'll stick with either Stihl or Dolmar oil. Price per gallon isn't much considering the cost of a new bar and chain.

Also, some saws don't like motor oil due to the detergent properties of the oil degrading the oil lines and pump seals.

Bar oil is not a consistent product. All that matters is viscosity (and it's not TOO important here) and the addition of a tackifier agent. There can be VAST difference between batches but not none of these differences are brand specific. Bar oil is mostly end runs and batches of motor oil that have defects, they can't be made to pass a certain spec, turn it into bar oil. I am waiting for Ben Walker to pipe up and tell me I'm wrong too but my info comes from someone in the oil industry not a fishing guide.

I believe you about bar oil being "leftovers" but I have seen some consistent 'crappiness' in certain brands of bar oil. They must be buying cheaper base oil and not adding the same extra agents to make it tacky and also keep it from separating. I've actually seen some of the Mag 1 stuff pour out of the jug in 2 different colors.

This should be a lively post. I'd suggest buying whatever you are comfortable with. If you want the cheap stuff go ahead...me, I prefer to think that I get what I pay for. If I didn't, I'd be offering some cheapo bar oil in my store because I know I could make more $$$ on a gallon jug.

Rspike said:
Pic of the Poulan pro bar oil i am talking about . Also, i would stay away from the green jug of Poulan. I wouldnt use WalMart oil , it not good stuff . There are no "swiming pools" or "houses" out in the woods where i cut trees so the red bar oil is not an issue .
Ive used both types of poulan oil on my ripping bars and chains and honestly cant tell any difference between the two. Both cling and lubricate very well under the hell that I put the equipment through. JMO.

Back