Red Bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DOLMARatOs said:
I believe you about bar oil being "leftovers" but I have seen some consistent 'crappiness' in certain brands of bar oil. They must be buying cheaper base oil and not adding the same extra agents to make it tacky and also keep it from separating. I've actually seen some of the Mag 1 stuff pour out of the jug in 2 different colors.

This should be a lively post. I'd suggest buying whatever you are comfortable with. If you want the cheap stuff go ahead...me, I prefer to think that I get what I pay for. If I didn't, I'd be offering some cheapo bar oil in my store because I know I could make more $$$ on a gallon jug.

I have gallons and quarts of both Redmax and Dolmar oil in the store partly because the customers want it that way, partly because the distributors want it that way and partly because it's easy. I don't pay retail so isn't an issue, if it were I'd use super tech from wal mart.

bwalker said:
Thats rubbish. I have used the stuff for years without issue.
sedan is quit right in that bar lube is composed of the dregs of the refining industry. Its all about the same.
Paul, go choke on a rib.

All in fun Ben, BTW, How's Chloe? (did I spell it right?)

sedanman said:
I have gallons and quarts of both Redmax and Dolmar oil in the store partly because the customers want it that way, partly because the distributors want it that way and partly because it's easy. I don't pay retail so isn't an issue, if it were I'd use super tech from wal mart.

You pegged it exactly. Keep it in stock because that's exactly what the customer wants. Although I do get pro-cutters in buying bar oil too. I'm not very far from the closest wal-mart (2 miles). Then again, bar oil in my shop is $2.00 per qt. or $6.00 per gallon (DOLMAR). Stihl oil seems pricey but most people are talking about 5 bux for a gallon. Not much of a difference between the cheap stuff and "expensive" stuff. Just convenient I guess.

Too bad people couldn't get along this well with 2-cycle oils. Everyone's oil is better than everyone else. I stock RedMax, DOLMAR and OPTI oils. They cost about the same, retail about the same and if used in correct measurement work the same. But people ask for specific brands. Weird people.

She is doing pretty darn good, with the exception of keeping us up all night.
Where you at the GTG. I heard KF placed fourth with my 346...didnt push hard enough.

BTW all, last time I checked the same company that produced Husky bar oil also made Supertech. This may have changed as the last half dozen jugs of supertech I have bought have appeared to be a differant oil. Thicker and darker, like Stihl oil .

DOLMARatOs said:
But people ask for specific brands. Weird people.
No, not wierd. People tend to just go with what has worked for them in the past. I'm that way too. And every now and then I stop and think about what's going on and then it changes, and becomes the "new normal."

bwalker said:
Thats rubbish. I have used the stuff for years without issue.
sedan is quit right in that bar lube is composed of the dregs of the refining industry. Its all about the same.
Paul, go choke on a rib.

I think I have just witnessed two firsts!!! Ben agreed with somebody, and agreed with somebody on oils!!!! WOW!!!
Thanks Ben, that makes me feel beter (thank you also seddanman) about my cheapness on ba oil, I figure most of it ends up on the ground by the end of the day!
Glad to hear you're daughter is doing well :clap: You will get used to no sleep after a while the first couple of months are hard as hell though!!!
Andy

I should go and buy a truck load of Black gallons of bar oil and a label maker. If i get rid of the factory labels, no one would know who made it originally because it's all the same.

O's bar Oil....and have a picture of a non-descript saw on it. Back says "specially blended and bottled in beautiful france" Evian bar oil fellas!

I use the red dyed POULAN bar oil and it cost me $3.69 a gallon before tax. Works great and no problems even out to 32" bar worth.
I like the red dye for telling whats going on if I find a leak, between a fuel leak or not.

The Poulan bar oil is at Wally world. The non-dyed in the lime green bottles is in the chainsaw section, the red dyed black bottled bar oil is with the garden section where the weed trimmers are. At least at my Wally world.

Last edited:
5 gallon pail of canola oil, around $30 CDN, 1 gallon of LUCAS heavy duty oil stabilizer $10 - 14 CDN, mixing the two together and saving money, wear and tear, always having a nice oiled chain= PRICELESS!

:D

bwalker said:
BTW in Canada all bar oil is red.

whaaaaaat? never seen any red oil up here :monkey: all ive seen/used has been homedepot sludge, a dark green color, or Stihl, a greenish color, or some generic oil that was clearish yellow.

:D :D

5 gallon pail of canola oil, around $30 CDN, 1 gallon of LUCAS heavy duty oil stabilizer $10 - 14 CDN, mixing the two together and saving money, wear and tear, always having a nice oiled chain= PRICELESS!
Adding the oil stabilizer eliminates the environmental adavntages of using Canola oil. Have fun inhalling a mist of canola, zinc, phosphourus and other heavy metals.:dizzy:

whaaaaaat? never seen any red oil up here all ive seen/used has been homedepot sludge, a dark green color, or Stihl, a greenish color, or some generic oil that was clearish yellow.
I dont know about where your located, but in NW ontarioi have never seen undyed bar oil. Even Stihl and husky oil are dyed red.

bwalker said:
Adding the oil stabilizer eliminates the environmental adavntages of using Canola oil. Have fun inhalling a mist of canola, zinc, phosphourus and other heavy metals.:dizzy:

true, there still is pure petroleum in the mix, BUT it is a LOT less in the amount i'm using than if i was using reg bar oil.

BWALKER, i'm in BC

seems to be working fine, have used over 12 gallons of the mix, chain is always oiled and the spray off the tip is no more no less that reg bar oil. The bar guide is always filled with an oil film. :pumpkin2:

Latest posts

Back