Red Maple with bad crotch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Red Maple that is about 20 years old and approximately 12" DBH. I have neglected it and let two questionable branches grow out of the crotch. Here are two pictures from opposite sides of the tree:

47b4d909b3127cceb367a3a1541a0000001610

47b4d909b3127cceb367a0c414e60000001610

Referencing the second picture, the branch in the middle of the crotch is almost exactly in the center and goes almost directly straight up. It's obvious this branch has to go, but I'm not sure how close to the tree to cut it to minimize the risk of the wound rotting and causing the crotch to fail eventually.

As for the other branch, I'm not sure if I should cut it. It is coming out of the side of the crotch, but is partially in the crotch also. Any suggestions? I can post more pictures if needed. Thanks!

The larger the diameter that these branches achieve, the greater larger the wounds will be when removed. Unfortunately, the branch structure of your tree is obviously not great. However, through proper pruning / training, you should be able to improve the structure and aid in the longevity of the tree.

When the area of branch attachment is as tight as seen in your pictures, it is difficult to prune off the limbs in the 'correct' location. Try to prune as close to the crotch as possible, without flush cutting. A small stub is better than cutting too close!

This would be one of those rare occasions I advocate treating a pruning cut instead of leaving it alone.

In this case, I'd apply beeswax.

Interesting recommendation Eric. I once saw a study from tthe period betwen the World Wars that showed a slight benefit from a wound dressing composed of beeswax, lanolin and turpentine. The benefits were small but documented. -Unlike the asphalt dressings that are demostrably detrimental. I expect that tree to close up nicely.

Leaving it alone would certainly help it callous fast, but it's in a very bad spot if any decay develops.

Petroleum based pruning sprays increase the closure time (mostly because petroleum is phytotoxic)... increasing the opportunity for decay to present.

Beeswax dressings, while not necessarily decreasing wound closure times, don't increase it... all the while preventing/deterring insects and stagnating water.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Stumper
-Unlike the asphalt dressings that are demostrably detrimental.
Not the hollow cavity thing again. :dizzy:

These types of arguments have to be confusing to the original poster in a homeowner forum.

That said, I'd be interested in seeing a study that shows the harm paint causes.

Just for clarification, a healthy tree will compartmentalize wounds. When a limb is removed correctly, the tree will set up barriers to stop decay from moving through the tree.

One thing most people don't think of is disease, when making wounds. With Oaks, for example, cutting during the growing season can be deadly. In Maples, Verticilium Wilt can kill a tree. So we have to consider the tree species and prevalent diseases in the area, when deciding about dressings. Whether or not a small, harmless decay pocket exists within a compartmentalized area of a tree is of little consequence compared to a fatal tree disease.

To my knowledge there are no studies to confirm beeswax does anything to prevent decay, although I did “hear” that the idea was tested and was found to not work. I heard an expert speaker quote results from a study, but can’t remember the study. Erik, do you cover all wounds with wax?

And finally, without seeing a picture of the whole tree, I couldn’t make an intelligent recommendation as to which limb, if any, should be cut.

Mike, We're just talking about wound closure rates and decay incidences. Asphalt has a place as insect vector blocker.(But I wonder if we copuld get those results from one of the old formulas that reportedly did not damage tissues around the wound site.)

Have't the 'spurts decided that Verticilium is almost purely soil borne?

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and cut out both branches. I started with a chainsaw and pruner (nicked the trunk a little) and cleaned them up with a small hand saw. The one that concerns me is a smaller one that was in the middle of the crotch. It had a lot of tear off and the only way I could remove it required several cuts in limited space that resulted in a pointy stump. Will this be alright? I doubt I could make any more cuts without a lot of tearing.

There is currently no decay in the crotch, but a lot of dead bark that is starting to become included. Should I try to scrape some of this off?

Any change in opinion on treating the wounds?

The bottom picture is taken directly from above the crotch looking down.

47b4d624b3127cceb3e569a97d4a0000001610

47b4d624b3127cceb3e569aefc7d0000001610

cuts look ok. don't scrape bark. What you have left now is a tree with 2 codominant leaders. That will have to be dealt with at some point. I'd reduce the smaller, less vertical one.

Experimenting with sealant seems warranted. Eric's idea of beeswax, or shellac may help. Trouble is, now that the cuts have been exposed, spores are on them. Disinfect first?

I don't think I'll remove the smaller leader, it makes up about half the canopy and would make the tree look horrible if it wasn't there. It faces away from the house and if it were to fail would just fall into the lawn. At the rate this tree is growing failure probably won't happen for another 10-15 years, which is acceptable.

Should the bees wax be applied to just the face of the wounds or should it also fill the crevices in the crotch to prevent water from pooling?

What would be a safe disinfectant? Thanks again.

I'm with Guy... don't scrape.

I would apply wax only to the face of the wounds. Any water that would pool in such a small area is sure to evaporate relatively quickly.

Disinfectant- 5% bleach/water solution should do, applied with a spray bottle. Let it evaporate before waxing.

Guy?

I'd reduce the smaller, less vertical one.
I don't think I'll remove the smaller leader

"Reduce" does not mean "Remove" Search thi ssite for Reduction pruning if you ar eno tclear on this. If you read every pos ton it you wi9ll be totally convinced. of something. or nothing.

Back