Red Oak Anyone.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just the wood i have cut so far. there is a whole lot more blowed down. probably ten more trees down, two of them are sweetgum though. Three will be easy to get at and the rest is gonna be tough. They are kinda in some bottoms and might be next summer before they can get cut. Probably am through for a little while. need to burn that little bit before i can stack any more wood up. Guess i could go cut it and let it sit untill it's burnt up.

Heck yeah if he is good with letting it sit that long you wont have to find wood for a while.
I would leave it whole for two reasons: 1 if you cut it up someone might be more apt to cart off your wood. 2 being whole it is probably propped of the ground some so it should not rot jmo.

i hope your area is not like ours.. you leave a tree down for a year or more.. and it will rot quickly on you... the only down side to red oak is the smell... but sure burns nice.

Heck yeah if he is good with letting it sit that long you wont have to find wood for a while.
I would leave it whole for two reasons: 1 if you cut it up someone might be more apt to cart off your wood. 2 being whole it is probably propped of the ground some so it should not rot jmo.
he don't mind, it's not going anywhere, Probably will let it set for a while at least untill them two rows are gone.

i hope your area is not like ours.. you leave a tree down for a year or more.. and it will rot quickly on you... the only down side to red oak is the smell... but sure burns nice.
big trees here will last a couple of years on the ground, And as rope mentioned if the limbs have it proped up some it will last even longer. I like the smell of red oak, But i'm weird too.lol

he don't mind, it's not going anywhere, Probably will let it set for a while at least untill them two rows are gone.

big trees here will last a couple of years on the ground, And as rope mentioned if the limbs have it proped up some it will last even longer. I like the smell of red oak, But i'm weird too.lol

Yup smells like heat or money either is good to me lmao:cheers:

It's a speeco model at tsc. i love it. i split wood for many years with a monster maul. Hurt my wrist one year and couldn't use it so i bought the huskee. Never looked back. They will spoil ya if you start using one. You can bust some huge rounds without beating on them all day with a wedge and mallet. We split six truckloadfs of oak in nine hours, it would have took me a long time with the maul.

Seen anything on a 4 way wedge for it? Can it take one?

Seen anything on a 4 way wedge for it? Can it take one?

Laird, I just mentioned on another thread that Speeco was working on a 4 way, as lf last year. Dunno what they've done about it, though.

There's a decent discussion on the Speeco over at http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=107363

I sure do like mine, and would not hesitate to buy another, if I ever needed to replace it. There are better units, but I don't think you can beat the bang for the buck. Those better units run way over 2 grand for a similar size unit.

That must be some dried out hard stuff, I know you ain't got no green chain on it. Was that the ported 372.

Yes yes and yes lol the chain has little cutters left I hit tramp metal two years ago when taking this water oak down by a home, I remembered hitting it and threw on an old 24 inch chain. The log I am cutting on is 40" or right at. The butt is 56" at the widest point.

Yes yes and yes lol the chain has little cutters left I hit tramp metal two years ago when taking this water oak down by a home, I remembered hitting it and threw on an old 24 inch chain. The log I am cutting on is 40" or right at. The butt is 56" at the widest point.
Definitely don't want to bugger up a good chain. I noticed the one on the right is a nice size.

I take smaller round and set it on end as a step. (Cut one to size as needed.) Then I tip the larger rounds up onto the smaller round, then tip them into the truck. I can move some pretty big stuff that way without doing any dead lifting.

That's the way i do it...you can move some pretty big rounds with the right number of steps.

This is the new stove that's gonna burn all that oak.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The old one.

attachment.php

Man they're both beautiful stoves. I'd like to have one in my living room someday. Maybe an old pot-belly!
Thanks, The old one has a leak somewhere. I can't control the heat. It will overfire even with the dampner shut all the way off. Think it's got a crack or hole in the firebox. The reason for the new stove. I really didn't want to spend that much for a new one but i was afraid the house was gonna burn down with the old one. BTW, Does anybody know what cleans the glass, When it cooled off i tried just water and then glass cleaner. Neither did a good job.

Back