Red Wasps in the chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unclez

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time lurker here and finally joined today.

A question I have is every winter when I start using the fireplace there is always a nest of Red Wasps that starts coming in the house through the opening. I'm assuming they set up camp in the chimney during the summer and in the winter when I start burning wood they get Hot (no pun intended) and come down into the house through the opening. Some get fried but some do make it in.

Any advice on how to keep them out of the chimney? I talked to a Sweeper and asked about screening the openings up top but he said that wouldn't allow the ashes to escape. And had no other ideas.

use glass doors on the fireplace. that way, when you start a fire, just close the doors, open one of the vents on them and you shouldn't get any in the house.

Thats what we usually do but some always finds a little opening to get through.

Was hopeing to prevent them from getting in the chimney somehow. I still may use a screen of some sort to go around the openings up top.

We get yellow jackets and bald face hornets in ours. The first fire of the season is a super hot one with extra dry cedar. Getter screamin hot then lay some damp green moss on the fire the super heat from the cedar will create a draft that they can't fly against, and the damp moss on the hot cedar creates a huge bellow of nasty smoke that also pushes them up and out the chimney. Keep the cedar buring hot as you can and keep adding moss. Do your best to keep the smoke thick and nastey for an hour or so. Then just burn a super hot cedar fire for another hour or so. After the moss smoke drives them out or kills them the hot cedar will dispose of anything left in the pipe. Since the neighbor told us about this we haven't had another flyer make it's way into the house.

Owl

Long time lurker here and finally joined today.

A question I have is every winter when I start using the fireplace there is always a nest of Red Wasps that starts coming in the house through the opening. I'm assuming they set up camp in the chimney during the summer and in the winter when I start burning wood they get Hot (no pun intended) and come down into the house through the opening. Some get fried but some do make it in.

Any advice on how to keep them out of the chimney? I talked to a Sweeper and asked about screening the openings up top but he said that wouldn't allow the ashes to escape. And had no other ideas.

Just a thought and Maybe too far outside the box.

What about using a couple of 34" plastic zip tie straps and a large garbage bag. Use the tie straps to hold the garbage bag in placeover the end of the chimney. This could easily be installed in the spring, removed in the winter and cost about $ 1.50 each year.

The only thing is, you would definitely not want to forget about it when it's time to light that first fire!

Latest posts

Back