regular chain or full skip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
curtismace

curtismace

ArboristSite Lurker
I usually run a full skip on a 20" bar on all my saws. most people ask me why. I thank they cut the same as a regular chain with much less sharping time. plus the saw dosn't lose as many rpms. Just wandering what you guys thank??????

jefeVTtreeman

jefeVTtreeman

ArboristSite Operative
quick question, you stated that you usually run full skip chains on your saws which seems like you have run them for some time yet you just started a new thread asking about break in times. newbie? or just new saw? anyway sorry to come off harsh i like rsc chains what leth bar? Stihl says full skips or for longer bars but it my just be personal preference. what are you cutting? use?

:bang:

fishhuntcutwood

fishhuntcutwood

Full wraps and long bars!!!!!!!!!
From IN, stationed in Port Angeles, WA, but AK is
Not to blow you off, but try a search on here. Skip chain has been discussed at length. Full comp will cut faster, but on longer bars, say 28"+ the full skip comes into it's own for chip clearance and the saw's powerband. It all depends. 20" sounds a bit short to run skip, but it's up to you.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I salvage about any chain that isn't stretched or filed to nothing and have used skip on 20" bars. I haven't noticed any less cutting speed and like less teeth to sharpen also. It may not be as smooth on small branches and brush in my opinion but in a log where several teeth are in contact with the wood I would think there would be little difference other then it should be easier to keep up the rpms. Just my thought about it.

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Skip

So I know ya'll have discussed the skip, rsk, yada yada yada. For brands, what chain do you find to hold up best? Which one is the easiest to sharpen? I just bought my first Stihl and Husky brand chains the other day. Of course, right on cue, I hit a stone today. I've been using Oregon's chains. I went to sharpen the Stihl chain, omg, what a ????? it was. It seems alot harder than the other chains I'd been sharpening, and by that I mean the metal itself. Unfortunately I don't know alot about the different types of chains out there, i.e. what makes one a certain type. But I am interested in brand. Thanks for the info ya'll. Any links to chain comparison charts would be good if you could swing it too.

fishhuntcutwood

fishhuntcutwood

ciscoguy01 said:
So I know ya'll have discussed the skip, rsk, yada yada yada. For brands, what chain do you find to hold up best? Which one is the easiest to sharpen? I just bought my first Stihl and Husky brand chains the other day. Of course, right on cue, I hit a stone today. I've been using Oregon's chains. I went to sharpen the Stihl chain, omg, what a ????? it was. It seems alot harder than the other chains I'd been sharpening, and by that I mean the metal itself. Unfortunately I don't know alot about the different types of chains out there, i.e. what makes one a certain type. But I am interested in brand. Thanks for the info ya'll. Any links to chain comparison charts would be good if you could swing it too.

Stihl chain is a harder chain. Husqvarna chain is I believe actually Oregon or Carlton. One of the two for sure, just can't remember which one. You can check their respective web sites for specifics.

tek9tim

tek9tim

ArboristSite Guru
Yeah, husky's chain is made by oregon. I don't mind running oregon, it is quicker to sharpen. Most of my loops are stihl. Yeah, I'd get into the full comp/skip conversation but I'd just be :deadhorse:

Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I hate hitting stones or cement. Really screws up the chain. Takes a ton of sharpening and sometimes it seems almost impossible to get the chain to cut straight again. Usually it messes up many cutters and one side is more severe then the other. Id rather hit nails.
I think Windsor chain is or was softer then Oregon chain. I always thought it did ok holding an edge and was very easy to hand file. I also remember it was easier to break then Stihl or Oregon when I made chains in the 1990's.Back then Oregon was about as hard as far as breaking to make loops as Stihl.

Indiana John

Indiana John

ArboristSite Operative
I haven't been here long, but I've noticed that chain questions seem to be a recurring theme. Maybe there should be a "chain FAQ" or "chain primer" somewhere that explains all the different chain terminology tossed about here. Things like: full chisel, semi-chisel, full skip , full comp, RS, etc. I think many folks who come here looking for info would find it much easier to follow what's being discussed if they understood the terms used.

fishhuntcutwood

fishhuntcutwood

Indiana John said:
I haven't been here long, but I've noticed that chain questions seem to be a recurring theme. Maybe there should be a "chain FAQ" or "chain primer" somewhere that explains all the different chain terminology tossed about here. Things like: full chisel, semi-chisel, full skip , full comp, RS, etc. I think many folks who come here looking for info would find it much easier to follow what's being discussed if they understood the terms used.

That is a good idea John. ;) Really. It's been recommended before. But you'd have to add-

Proper oil ratio, proper PPE, longest bar for the 290, who files their own chains, best firewood saw for under $300, whether or not you should buy from your dealer, best all-around saw, who likes Stihl or Husky, why Stihl's don't oil well, whether or not you can use the 55 gallon drum of XXXXX lube you have in your garage as bar oil, and whether or not you should do a muffler mod...just to name a few.

Many of the same topics get hashed weekly. Some due to genuine curiosity, some because a search didn't yeild the answer the wanted, and some out of just plain laziness ("I didn't try a search, but......"). That's fine. We're here for discussion and you could fill an entire forum with nothing but sticky threads about the things listed above.

And that's why they made this smiley- :deadhorse:

And this one-:notrolls2:

Tek9tim used the :deadhorse: properly.

No harm done. Hopefully curtismace tried a search and/or got the answers he was looking for. ;)

Jeff

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Linky

Indiana John said:

If you go here, this link has a pretty good explanation of the chain types etc...

http://baileys-online.com/how-to-buy-sawchain.htm

:)

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
fishhuntcutwood said:
That is a good idea John. ;) Really. It's been recommended before. But you'd have to add-

Proper oil ratio, proper PPE, longest bar for the 290, who files their own chains, best firewood saw for under $300, whether or not you should buy from your dealer, best all-around saw, who likes Stihl or Husky, why Stihl's don't oil well, whether or not you can use the 55 gallon drum of XXXXX lube you have in your garage as bar oil, and whether or not you should do a muffler mod...just to name a few.

Yup, it would be nice and would save us all a lot of re-typing!

I'm working on just such a thing, as an intro to intermediate level chainsaw FAQ website. It should have been done already since I started it in August, but with this whole going back to school with a full courseload thing...well, it ain't close to done yet. It will probably be my project for winter break.

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nah

Indiana John said:
That's a good page. Is it mentioned in the "Links" thread? If not, it should be. Covers most of the basics, but I noticed it doesn't mention the "R" designations.

I reckon I didn't put it there, lol. :biggrinbounce2:

curtismace

curtismace

ArboristSite Lurker
skip tooth

thanks you all I"ve asked about breaking in a saw because I just bought a new one and is not running right,just can't figure out why been cutting trees for a long time though. sorry I didn't do a search,still kind've new to this site didn't thank about it. thanks for the help.....

Latest posts