Remanufactured 455's ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgamble

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would you buy one?

The local Huskvarna dealer is selling them for $290.

I ask as I have a 15 year old Model 55 I'm thinking about moving to backup status.

Would you buy one?

I ask as I have a 15 year old Model 55 I'm thinking about moving to backup status.

nahh theyre the wrong color:hmm3grin2orange:

Seems like a good deal. For $290 I don't think you could find a better saw. If you want to spend more double the $$ you could get a lot more saw and wonder why you didn't do it 15 years ago.

When I decided I was going to heat with wood I bought a remanufactured 455 off ebay for around 300 shipped if I remember right. We'll that was 5 years and about 60 full cord ago saw is still running great. One thing I would recommend is switching the sprocket drum to a rim/drum combo for some reason I threw chains like crazy with the stock sprocket drum. Only happened once since I switched to the rim drum combo.

Would you buy one?

Sounds like a good deal to me. I don't like them quite as much as a 55, but they are pretty good saws. You could clean up the carbon and re ring your 55 if it feels like it is getting a little weak. It will only set you back about 12 bucks if you do it yourself.

What part of Maryland are you in?

If you are buying it from a dealer in your area, I wouln't have to think twice about buying it. I picked one up this spring as a back up saw. That's the one I'll use first... The older 55 is up there in age so I have the old one as a back up.. I use it mostly for bucking logs. I average about 4 cords per gallon and ran 8 gallons through it this year.

Would you buy one?

You can't go wrong with a 455 Rancher. It's a great saw. You may also want to hit up a few of the site sponsors on here to see what they have to offer in a 455 for you. I don't see anything wrong with recond. esp if you have dealer support on it.

+1 on the chain throwing problems.. i was constantly tightening the chain on that thing...buy a 346 used from this site

When I decided I was going to heat with wood I bought a remanufactured 455 off ebay for around 300 shipped if I remember right. We'll that was 5 years and about 60 full cord ago saw is still running great. One thing I would recommend is switching the sprocket drum to a rim/drum combo for some reason I threw chains like crazy with the stock sprocket drum. Only happened once since I switched to the rim drum combo.

I bought a new 455 and u are right about throwing the chain....my dealer gave me the rim/drum combo....all is good.

As long as it comes from a dealer, you should be fine. The reason I stress that point is that every now and then we'd find one that was junk, yet had squeeked through the inspection process. Couple even had wiped top ends.

Grab 'em while you can because Husky has bagged the refurb program and we can't even get them anymore.

As long as it comes from a dealer, you should be fine. The reason I stress that point is that every now and then we'd find one that was junk, yet had squeeked through the inspection process. Couple even had wiped top ends.

Grab 'em while you can because Husky has bagged the refurb program and we can't even get them anymore.

What are they doing with the returned saws then?

I did buy one, ~1.5 yrs back, for $307 f.o.b. my door from VMInnovations dot com. Husqvarna factory refurb. Only tossed chain once, when, at full song, cut suddenly released red oak limb and grabbed chain. :msp_ohmy:

This saw's still favorite local heavy artillery for felling/bucking the larger stuff I see. Really like the strato-scavenging: great fuel endurance and local air-quality. Adjustable, clutch-driven chain oiler is a "plus." (Now, if it didn't have to mark its spot with oil droppings ... :msp_unsure:)

I paid more for a new 40 cc RedMax, but that's a different story- you can run it all day. It's become my GoTo saw, so I'm trying to keep the other saws from getting jealous- running a tankful through them occasionally. :msp_rolleyes:

I did buy one, ~1.5 yrs back, for $307 f.o.b. my door from VMInnovations dot com. Husqvarna factory refurb. Only tossed chain once, when, at full song, cut suddenly released red oak limb and grabbed chain. :msp_ohmy:

This saw's still favorite local heavy artillery for felling/bucking the larger stuff I see. Really like the strato-scavenging: great fuel endurance and local air-quality. Adjustable, clutch-driven chain oiler is a "plus." (Now, if it didn't have to mark its spot with oil droppings ... :msp_unsure:)

I paid more for a new 40 cc RedMax, but that's a different story- you can run it all day. It's become my GoTo saw, so I'm trying to keep the other saws from getting jealous- running a tankful through them occasionally. :msp_rolleyes:

Try opening the oil cap, or atleast cracking it loose before you put the saw away. I've got a 450 here, if I don't crack the cap loose and let the pressure bleed off, it will be sitting in a puddle of oil when you come back to it. Had a 55 here that was the same way. Easy enough to try anyway.

Back