Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remington PL-5 Powerlite

This one come in to me to fix and get running. Was bought by owners grandad for his dad as his first saw. The recoil fairbanks morse type friction didnt work and wore out and pulley was useless.

When his dad passed on the saw was left to him. He wants me to go ahead and finish getting it running for old time sake and memories. Today she runs and cuts.

Special Thanks to Mweba on locating parts for me. :clap:

Also weirdest fuel filter I have seen molded into the fuel line itself.

remingtonPL5003_zps06c01964.jpg

remingtonPL5007_zpsb3f50abc.jpg

remingtonPL5006_zps94f4123f.jpg

remingtonPL5004_zpsa42880be.jpg

remingtonPL5005_zpsf031ab81.jpg

remingtonPL5001_zps29958b6c.jpg

This one come in to me to fix and get running. Was bought by owners grandad for his dad as his first saw. The recoil fairbanks morse type friction didnt work and wore out and pulley was useless.

When his dad passed on the saw was left to him. He wants me to go ahead and finish getting it running for old time sake and memories. Today she runs and cuts.

Special Thanks to Mweba on locating parts for me. :clap:

Also weirdest fuel filter I have seen molded into the fuel line itself.

Yup, Kotex tampon type. I have found them at a local OPE repair shop.

That one has retained more of its' original paint than usual.

Super 754 bearing replacement

I finally got my 754 apart. I thought I had a seized piston/cyl, but it turns out that one of the rod bolts had come loose. This happened at low RPM, so there's not too much damage to anything other than the bearings. I might replace the connecting rod just to be safe. My question is....how do you replace those little roller bearings? I haven't been able to locate a service manual......

I finally got my 754 apart. I thought I had a seized piston/cyl, but it turns out that one of the rod bolts had come loose. This happened at low RPM, so there's not too much damage to anything other than the bearings. I might replace the connecting rod just to be safe. My question is....how do you replace those little roller bearings? I haven't been able to locate a service manual......

If the rollers are still in place along with the two screws, I would Locktite the screws one at a time and button him back up. Otherwise, you hold the rollers in the rod and the cap with wheel bearing grease and assemble. Again, useing Locktite.

If the rollers are still in place along with the two screws, I would Locktite the screws one at a time and button him back up. Otherwise, you hold the rollers in the rod and the cap with wheel bearing grease and assemble. Again, useing Locktite.

No, they're not in place. They came out when I took it apart, and they don't look to great, either. The bolt, that came loose, is also bent and has thread damage. So, I'll replace the rod....just to be sure. Thanks for the reply.

No, they're not in place. They came out when I took it apart, and they don't look to great, either. The bolt, that came loose, is also bent and has thread damage. So, I'll replace the rod....just to be sure. Thanks for the reply.

You may also be looking for a crank. If it has no dings and is as smooth as a baby's butt, OK, ortherwise......................................................

I have a PL/SL-55 carcass in the same situation. :bang:

You may also be looking for a crank. If it has no dings and is as smooth as a baby's butt, OK, ortherwise......................................................

I have a PL/SL-55 carcass in the same situation. :bang:

Yeah, I have to finish cleaning it and check it out. Does anyone have a COMPLETE IPL for the 754? I downloaded one, from the net, but it's missing pages.:msp_ohmy:

You can buy Torrington bearing rollers separate/loose at an industrial bearing supply house. Expect to buy them in quantity like 25, 50 or 100 at a wack.

Carl, I didn't forget about your PL-5 piston. I should be tearing into that parts saw within the next two weeks. What is the diameter of a PL-5 piston? My parts saw is a un-marked monkey wards. I'm using it for a few parts for my PL-4. Want to make sure it is what you need

Dustin

Carl, I didn't forget about your PL-5 piston. I should be tearing into that parts saw within the next two weeks. What is the diameter of a PL-5 piston? My parts saw is a un-marked monkey wards. I'm using it for a few parts for my PL-4. Want to make sure it is what you need

Dustin

48.5 mm or 1.910"

I have rings on hand for it but the piston looks so bad I didn't want to start the project.

Been amusing myself with some Poulan 306 types.

Carl.

Logmaster SL-5 find

Hellow, there is a trash truck that comes around once a week in my part of the county for everyone to bring their trash to and i got to talking to the fellow that drives the truck about any saws that show up awhile back. We got to talking again last week and he thought i only wanted Homelites and i said again anything old and loud and he said he had a Remington, well a week later he pulled out a total complete SL-5 that has now come home with me. Turns over nice and the roller tip chain can be moved in the bar and the tanks are spotless but no spark. Before i wreck anything i want to ask how the flywheel comes off so i can get to the points since this is my first Remington. I got the starter off but now there is a starter catch thing on the flywheel that needs to come off and that is where i stopped. Is the nut right handed normal threads that holds the flywheel down and will that let the starter catch thing come off so i can get a puller on. I hate doing anything the first time for fear of mucking things up. I figure i can take my Dremil and shine the points up and get spark again if i can get in there.

Latest posts

Back