Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hellow, there is a trash truck that comes around once a week in my part of the county for everyone to bring their trash to and i got to talking to the fellow that drives the truck about any saws that show up awhile back. We got to talking again last week and he thought i only wanted Homelites and i said again anything old and loud and he said he had a Remington, well a week later he pulled out a total complete SL-5 that has now come home with me. Turns over nice and the roller tip chain can be moved in the bar and the tanks are spotless but no spark. Before i wreck anything i want to ask how the flywheel comes off so i can get to the points since this is my first Remington. I got the starter off but now there is a starter catch thing on the flywheel that needs to come off and that is where i stopped. Is the nut right handed normal threads that holds the flywheel down and will that let the starter catch thing come off so i can get a puller on. I hate doing anything the first time for fear of mucking things up. I figure i can take my Dremil and shine the points up and get spark again if i can get in there.

The 'starter catch thing' stays in place. Just push the 'wings' aside when you engage the socket on your impact or ratchet wrench. The flange nut butts up against the 'wings' and actually is a built in puller. The flywheel/fanwheel slides off as the nut is removed.

Pay attention to the crankshaft key. The tapered end of the key matches the tapered hole in the flywheel. Reverse the ends and you will ruin the crank and flywheel.

I have posted a fix for the Bendix-Scintilla magneto a while back. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/202230.htm?highlight=coil

You need to find a Wico coil with a 3/8" square hole.

Last edited:
07068df15c7853dcb42a6e58e79451c9.jpg

ea886d9331eb684895dca36b728b7430.jpg

Any ideas?

Talkin' about the sunroof modification Ted?:D

Edit:

After seeing that ad, it looks like the sunroof was standard equipment.:jester:

Yeah ... LOL

I just would have thought that the sunroof would have a more 'finished' look to it.

Not the first time I've been wrong today ..... going down the toilet inna hurry. :help:

Yeah ... LOL

I just would have thought that the sunroof would have a more 'finished' look to it.

Not the first time I've been wrong today ..... going down the toilet inna hurry. :help:

Well, since we're picking on you.

Both of your links for the Mac bars point to the last page of the Mac sticky, not the actual posts. :D

Both of your links for the Mac bars point to the last page of the Mac sticky, not the actual posts. :D

Is it wrong that I noticed that the day Ted put those in his sig and never remembered to say anything to him about it?:help:

Shows how good my memory is at times................since I believe the Mac bar posts that Ted attempted to post links to are MINE......:bang:

Edit (again):

Looks like Ted fixed the links...

Last edited:
Is it wrong that I noticed that the day Ted put those in his sig and never remembered to say anything to him about it?:help:

Shows how good my memory is at times................since I believe the Mac bar posts that Ted attempted to post links to are MINE......:bang:

I noticed a while back also, but I already gave him a hard time about some links in the Craigslist thread and I didn't want to come across as even more of an a-hole. :D

:bang:

Edited and working fine for me.

Yes, they are links to your posts. Just my little bit to help reduce some of the redundancy around here, in hopes that folks will use the last item to search the place more effectively.

I've got one you can have but, I better clean him up first to make sure it's worth sending. Really nasty, and if the flocking falls off not worth the postage.

Carl.

Are they the same for multiple saws? I saw some advertised as sl5, some sl9, some sl4. I may have a serviceable one in the pile somewhere.

Of course as clean as this thing is it probably deserves a NOS one if they aren't made of gold.

Latest posts

Back