remington

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raceyblue

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i need you guys feelings about a remington model pl-4 saw.is it a decent saw for light firewood cutting?what about the sl-4?

Going to be a heavy saw for cutting firewood if it is anything like the JD type 17. This saw is all metal no plastic. Reminton made saws for JD. The SL and PL-4 are the same saws, just different numbers, engines are the same idenitical bore and stroke, from the research I have done on them.

I have a Remington like yours that is suppose to run, never have tried to get it to fire up. I am going to part it out for the engine for the JD. An old timer I knew said the Remingtons were good saws, but I don't have hands on experience running one.

This is strange, there was a Remington SL-4 on e-bay recently, you snag it by chance. I was watching it but went for too much money for my pocketbook for a saw that would only run on a prime down the throat of the carb.

Larry

Last edited:
I have a sl-4. It does not get a whole lot of use but for a 59cc saw it is fairly light. Whenever I use it I am always surprised by its power. Since I picked it up used for 5 dollars and got a parts saw off ebay for 25 shipped it has more than paid for itself. :cool:

I ran them for several years. Dad was a Remington dealer a long time ago. I felt that they were a good saw....in their day. When I got my 046 I put the remingtons were sold and out to pasture.

Wierdist problem I had was the check valve in the bar oil tank failing. Crankcase would pressurize the oil tank then at idle the oil would go back into the engine. They would leak. One thin fussy gasket seals the crankcase, oil tank and fuel tank.

I cut a lot of wood with my SL-9 / PL-4 saw.

Good Luck,

Bob

Speaking of Remington saws...................

I have a Remington Mighty Mite 600 that was given to me several years ago. It's been sitting under a bench ever since, but since I've been hanging around here, I'm getting the itch to try to fix up some of these old "orphans" I've got laying around. It seems to be in pretty good shape, other than missing a couple of parts. The plunger part for the built-in sharpener is gone, which I figure is just as well as it was probably more of a gimmick than a useful feature. The bigger problem is the missing cover for the air filter which goes on the top right side of the handle. Anybody know where I might be able to find another cover?

Latest posts

Back