Remorse with MS391, going to MS362M??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice the weight loss, power the same. I prefer the M-tronic versions, the filter setup is better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Skinny, ain't she.

Nice. It's even got a "Wood Haters Club" sticker on it.

How does it run?

Not knowing how to start a Stihl saw can play into your favor. I once bought a MS460 for $200 that the owner said would not start. It popped on the first pull and ran on the second. He looked at me in disbelief and asked how I did it. I told him it was all in knowing how to do it.

I once worked on a crew that loved the way the 361 ran, but everyone always worried about cold starts...they flooded too easy.

I remember being of the opinion that needing to use half choke after first pop was hippie BS.

That created some easily remedied flooding.

Skinny, ain't she.

Nice. It's even got a "Wood Haters Club" sticker on it.

How does it run?
Just like you would expect. Very strong. Hot starts are not a problem either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

All righty then, I think I got it figured out. Many thanks to you guys for steering me on this one.
I decided I didn't really want to take a chance on a MTronic version although I hear some good things about them, but I also hear some negatives. That is true with all saw more than likely. I discounted the 362 mostly because of that, plus the price was $150 more than a 391.

Then I anguished between a 391 65CC homeowner saw which I, correctly or incorrectly, understand that to be a mediocre saw although still a nice saw and an Echo 620P.

I went to the nearby Echo dealer and he didn't have one but he gave me a price anyway. He told me $650 about. I asked him if I ordered it today when would it come in. He said not for a while. I asked when a while was specifically, 2 weeks or 3 weeks maybe. He told me it would be after the first of the year. I almost blew coca-cola out of my nose.

So I went home and ordered a 620P Echo someplace else online $40 cheaper with free shipping and should be here in 3-4 days, hopefully. Anyway, it come down to an Echo Pro with a 60CC with a 5 year warranty or a Stihl homeowner 65CC for roughly the same price with a 2 year warranty.

For history, I have a JD 55EV, basically an Echo for 26 years. The electronic module went out 10 years ago but I have a buddy gave me a point driven same size saw and that is alder but still a great saw.
I also have a Stihl 026 for 18 years or so and never had problems with either beside the electronic module which was major.
I also have a JD 36CC which is an Efco.
So I will be set, I hope.

Thanks a lot for your heartfelt info,

You bought a great saw, arguably Echo's best offering right now. Nothing more reliable than an Echo, IMO.

I just got my 620P in the mail yesterday and I spent the night reading the owners manual. I started it last night but I am still not sure what the decompression knob is for. I know it wouldn't start when it was out but when I pushed it in it fired right up. Time to go out and chew through a log.

Latest posts

Back