removal of flywheel and clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valspar "Ford gray" I did the clutch cover and compared it with a new Stihl ... amazing. I am really finicky, and I really can't tell the difference. Pick it up at Tractor Supply from a response to a post on this site.

just a suggestion,
if you have the clutch cover painted why don't you you run the saw a while and see how the paint holds up before you get in over your head?
as has been hinted or bluntly stated to split the cases on a perfectly good saw just to paint it is @#$%ing nuts unless you want to just look at it apart or part it out on fleabay
from the questions you ask you might want to start with a non runner so you have less to lose

thanks. I am going to take the advice and paint cases while still together.

the clutch cover came out real nice with the Valspar "Ford Grey"

Speakin' o' Ford, and getting back to the original thread...

So can I use an old 8N or F-2000 steering wheel puller to remove my 026 flywheel? ;-^)

Seriously tho, are there alternative gear/wheel pullers for the task that can be had from your basic auto parts store? I'm getting my rebuild feet wet with an
026 that had a roached piston and head which I managed to replace using what
is probably a questionable aftermarket solution, but was a helluva lot cheaper than going OEM. Don't want to burn it right back up again so was gonna replace
the crank seals for good measure since they came with recommended gasket kit for the p/h job -- and the original damage was likely due to an air leak from what I've read elsewhere in the forum.

TIA for any tips.

didn't realize this was an old thread, did you paint the saw?

I have an 024 almost torn down. I got a Bosch flywheel puller from Treats. Cheap, easy to use. I read the threads on saw teardown, and made a case splitter. Search on 024, 026 teardown.

http://www.treatland.tv/puch-bosch-flywheel-puller-p/puch-bosch-flywheel-puller.htm

Seriously tho, are there alternative gear/wheel pullers for the task that can be had from your basic auto parts store? I'm getting my rebuild feet wet with an
026 that had a roached piston and head which I managed to replace using what
is probably a questionable aftermarket solution, but was a helluva lot cheaper than going OEM. Don't want to burn it right back up again so was gonna replace
the crank seals for good measure since they came with recommended gasket kit for the p/h job -- and the original damage was likely due to an air leak from what I've read elsewhere in the forum.

TIA for any tips.

attachment.php

This thread brings up old, strong, bad feelings...............

Sniff................................................

I need a tissue............................

I just went by my local Stihl dealer looking for a 038 flywheel puller...They could not find the part listed anywhere???? So the fellow behind the counter proceeds to tell me they never use a puller " all you have to do us tap a screw driver behind the flywheel till it is wedged behind it real good then just beat the crank with a chunk of brass and a BIG hammer" They just pop off he says.....

I think I will still order a puller from some other place...

This thread brings up old, strong, bad feelings...............

Sniff................................................

I need a tissue............................

Yeah, I get a little teary-eyed too trying to decide between "Ford Gray" and "Ford Grey" when tryin' to figure out how to remove an 026 flywheel with a non-OEM puller process. Silly me.

Sorry to yank on that old rusty hook evidently still stuck in one your gills there, Fish.

So what color do you paint your clutch covers?

I just went by my local Stihl dealer looking for a 038 flywheel puller...They could not find the part listed anywhere???? So the fellow behind the counter proceeds to tell me they never use a puller " all you have to do us tap a screw driver behind the flywheel till it is wedged behind it real good then just beat the crank with a chunk of brass and a BIG hammer" They just pop off he says.....

I think I will still order a puller from some other place...

Sounds to me like he wants to sell ya a new flywheel instead of a puller.

With the flywheel nut off, you need the puller or you need to have the dealer pull it for you.

No you do not need a puller. Just heat up the flywhell as close to the spindle as possible and tape the shaft with a ballpeen hammer and it will pop off.

cocono

please dont do that

If you guide the flame around the spindle 3 times very slowly it works perfectly every time. Just put the nut on the shaft so when you tap it it will not damage the threads.

Back