Removal Permits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeHuggers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Our area has a lot of city regs concerning permitting for removals. When a permit is required, we have the homeowner obtain approval prior to removal. Curious about whether other services obtain permitting vs. asking homeowner to obtain. Does it change your answer when there is a cost involved? As a homeowner, I know I'd appreciate a tree service offering to get permit, but as a tree service I've found it challenging because I can't always answer the questions they're asking.

Let The Homeowner Do it! You have far better things to do with your time. It's not hard in most cases but time is time. If it's a big badass job then maybe but we pull very few most of our dealings are roadway use stuff through the county.
Now get this, we have a contract for our county to do their work. to block a lane on some of the bigger roads to do their work we must obtain a permit through the county, pay full price, which the county pays since the contract it t&m and it still takes 4 to 6 weeks to approve the closure! Wtf!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Our area has a lot of city regs concerning permitting for removals. When a permit is required, we have the homeowner obtain approval prior to removal. Curious about whether other services obtain permitting vs. asking homeowner to obtain. Does it change your answer when there is a cost involved? As a homeowner, I know I'd appreciate a tree service offering to get permit, but as a tree service I've found it challenging because I can't always answer the questions they're asking.

Yup, offer to get the permits and bid in the cost or the the homeowner get the cost, but do your research so you can tell them the cost of the permits,,
Jeff :cool:

Let The Homeowner Do it! You have far better things to do with your time. It's not hard in most cases but time is time. If it's a big badass job then maybe but we pull very few most of our dealings are roadway use stuff through the county.
Now get this, we have a contract for our county to do their work. to block a lane on some of the bigger roads to do their work we must obtain a permit through the county, pay full price, which the county pays since the contract it t&m and it still takes 4 to 6 weeks to approve the closure! Wtf!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Or, offer to do it for the homeowner and pass on the cost to them, they probably think you know more about it than them and they may be asking for your help with it. Be nice and give options or tell them to do it,,,up to you,,
Jeff

We find that the municipalities treat the HO easier than a tree care company, so we recommend that they do it. We'll arrange an arborist report if necessary (use a 3rd party consultant).

We find that the municipalities treat the HO easier than a tree care company, so we recommend that they do it. We'll arrange an arborist report if necessary (use a 3rd party consultant).

We are the arborist and we know the channels in municipalities and they know us,
and we know how to get treated right,
Jeff,,:cheers:

Tree permits is a minefield. Municipal, City Local or State Government should open the system & train up tree contractors to be permit issuers allowing them to survey customer trees under the lands permit law control methodology. The Approved Contractor can then assess and decide if tree can go - stay or be hazard amenity pruned.

But that Dracula in the blood bank! you say,,, not so the city only has to regulate a handful of tree contractors not watch over its thousands of yards. The approved contractors would be required to take pictures and submit site details in an open web forum for each removal or tree task that triggers permit and the City & others can easily look over them and act if they see the system being breached or abused and if remove the contractor issuing permit licence .

simple win win, fast lower costs , lowers conflict, customer does not need to make application, the approved contractors will watch out for illegal tree works & the City does not need to employ many arborists admin to run a tree permit bureaucracy..

If I was a homeowner in that situation, I'd expect the tree guy to handle it all. Much the same that'd I'd expect a plumber, carpenter, electrickan, etc to do the same if they were hired to do work.

Reminds me of a fishing charter I went on. About mid way into the trip the captain asks something like, you guys are logging what fish you caught right? Uh... No? I paid good money for the charter, was told all we needed were fishing license, how would I know anything about keeping a log??!

Latest posts

Back