Removing Oiler Gear from Husqvarna Crankshaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Did you figure out how to get that gear off? It does look like you need some sort of puller. I have a 50 also that needs a seal replaced. I was wondering if it was a standard thread that I could put a large nut on and make some sort of puller out of it. Anybody know? Thanks.

I believe they make a puller to remove the worm gear. Only way I had any luck getting it off was to grind a small slot in it, being careful not to grind into the crank. The worm gear is pressed on, i used a socket that fits just over the crankshaft and gently tap the new worm gear on. a new gear is like $5.

Ok, I will look for a puller. It sounds like a new gear and your method might be cheaper than the puller though. thanks.

Hey;

Use the Husqvarna puller tool only, be sure you get the right puller, see your dealer for the P/N, as there are different pullers for different saws. The puller threads onto the gear and you turn down the threaded center bolt, or may just pull straight off, depends on the exact tool.. Same to re-install. Hope that helps.

Hey;

Use the Husqvarna puller tool only, be sure you get the right puller, see your dealer for the P/N, as there are different pullers for different saws. The puller threads onto the gear and you turn down the threaded center bolt, or may just pull straight off, depends on the exact tool.. Same to re-install. Hope that helps.

Yep just went through this myself.....bought the tools...works perfect.....price wasn't to bad either....can't remember exctly something like $14.00......

At first glance it seems like there'd be an std threaded nut or pipe fitting that wuld work for making up a puller. never could find anything that would thread on fully.
Get the tool. thread it on all the way. gear is a tight fit. 272 oiler and seal is a nicer design.
oh, and the gear fits just fine without the new seal, ha ha. done that too.
remember to put in the new seal.

Thanks for the pdf Gregg. Would you happen to know the part number? Can I get the tool from Baileys? I asked my dealer, and he looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. He said they just pry them off with screwdrivers. He looked on his computer and said there is no such tool listed in the service tools section.

must be a hellofasrewdriver, lol.
try this -from service manual:

Using oil pump drive gear puller P/N 5025026-01 and
sleeve P/N 5025099-01, remove the gear from the
crankshaft.
Separate and clean the oil pump components. Exchange
worn or damaged parts.
Assembly
Thread the oil pump drive gear into the sleeve P/N 502
5099-01 until the end of the gear is flush with the end of
the sleeve.
Assemble the puller P/N 5025026-01 to the sleeve
without the center bolt. Using a brass or plastic faced
mallet, drive the gear onto the crankshaft
After removing the tool, make sure the drive gear is
flush against the shoulder on crankshaft.

Last edited:
I ran into this problem on my Husqvarna 142e. The solution was simple, since I already was going to have to change the crappy "donut" seals on this throw away saw, I just pulled the crank shaft and piston out of the cylinder and hooked a standard 2 jaw gear puller on the bearing, which also removed the worm gear! If you do not have one there are many auto part stores that will "loan" you one for free.
Speaking of "donut" oil seals, it deeply saddens me to see that Stihl is fazing out the two part bearing and separate standard oil seal, with a "donut" seal.

I think it was @Mattyo (?) that has a video on this... but basically a few electrical fittings will do the trick.. Get a 3/4” rigid coupling and a 3/4-1/2” reducing bushing, screw it on over the gear, and it should “pull” right off as you tighten the coupling by hand...something to that effect.
I used the same “tool” to reinstall (tap/press on) the gear, this past weekend on a 55 rebuild...

Yes, it's a good way to pull off the oil gear with the bearing, but it only works on plastic chainsaws

I think he inferred about pulling the bearing and gear off together, which would only be applicable to a clamshell saw.

?
I think it was @Mattyo (?) that has a video on this... but basically a few electrical fittings will do the trick.. Get a 3/4” rigid coupling and a 3/4-1/2” reducing bushing, screw it on over the gear, and it should “pull” right off as you tighten the coupling by hand...something to that effect.
I used the same “tool” to reinstall (tap/press on) the gear, this past weekend on a 55 rebuild...
you wanted info on a 55... which is not clamshell. nor is it plastic case. so, those vids are now supplied

what specific clamshell are you referring to piotr?

Back