Removing trees with a light touch within parkland

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
consider where you can to preserve habitat tree trunks logs etc as part of your rehabilitation replanting needs, this will bode well to lessen the grief you'll likely got/get from the park users

seeing site picture me thinks walking team of tree fellers followed by low pressure tracked chipper to hog limbs leaving chips & log wood on site

im sure you have considered trench-less crack out and reline http://trenchless-australasia.com/news/pipeline_replacement_using_relining/001793/ as option & surprised it does not win here in price and environment protection

We are doing cured in place pipe liner (CIPP). No open trench. But many of the dozen or so manholes will have to be fixed or replaced. And the machines used to do the lining are as big as a semi truck. So there is inevitably going to be some impact. It will be an interesting project!

We are doing cured in place pipe liner (CIPP). No open trench. But many of the dozen or so manholes will have to be fixed or replaced. And the machines used to do the lining are as big as a semi truck. So there is inevitably going to be some impact. It will be an interesting project!

i been involved in a $20 million pipe line rebuild project vs trees in park streets past 4 years the project had essential service laws above my treehugging wants but we negotiated the best outcome vs costs for all

http://www.jaydo.com.au/pipelines-alliance-wins-victorian-engineering-excellence-award

Hire a horse logger, they generally leave less damage but would even if they do some damage they are considered by most as being more politically correct.

And inefficient and expensive. So the tradeoff is political correctness/feelgoodness (is that a word?) versus the efficient use of tax payers dollars. Guess what will win out.

Man, talk about walking on egg shells. Where I'm at you would probably have to do an environmental impact study for a couple years before touching trees in a bird sanctuary. Personally I think mechanical logging seems overkill.

On a side note if you want to keep upset citizens pacified; consider setting up open public forums or an oversight committee that doesn't have any muscle. I've participated in things like that as an " expert" and it was very successful for all involved.

I think der woodi is on to something above. A track chipper with grapple and blow chips into the woods. Would be fast and hardly any ground disturbance. Is that some kind of walking trail. Do you have to restore pretty or can you scatter logs and chips and lose them in the woods?

Of course, the size trackhoe needed to set a manhole on 39 inch sewer pipe will be much, much bigger than anything the clearing crew will bring in anyways.

Interesting project.......

Old-soul is on to something with leaving large rounds. It's totally environmentally friendly, cost effective, and economical. Chip brush and limbs <6" and leave the rest to make soil!:clap:

I agree from a practicality stand point, a feller buncher will be able to direct felling and work efficiently with some soil/road impact. From a sensitivity aspect, they will look like a horrific tree mangling monster to the average bystander. For PR purposes, I too think a bucket truck and either a tracked skid steer or small/mid sized excavator with a grapple would work for log handling. Chipping into the woods would also present another host of problems, just truck them off.

sac-climber is right on track with hosting a public forum with an expert there to explain the impact of various methods of removal. It will definitely take the pressure down a few notches. We do them when doing trail builds or modifications.

Back