Rental fleet saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarioMO

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Would any of you buy a used saw from a saw dealership rental fleet?
How much usage/abuse do you think these saws go through?
How much would you pay for a Husqvarna 288xp...in a seemingly good condition?

They claim it was regularly maintained and looks like it too.

Thanks!!!
Dario :)

Koa Man said:
I wouldn't. If you are interested in a small saw like the 288XP, buy it new...they are cheap.

Thanks...but you consider 288xp (88 cc / 6.1 hp) a small saw?

The rental places near me that my Utility does business with are large chains that have checklists and comprehensive maintainance procedures that are followed closely.Parts are replaced ,not just fixed,and the tool is made ready again for another customer.Some of these places have warranties also.You might be able to "bargain"them if the saw has been on the floor awhile.Use your head,check the saw close,and ask advice on the site,and the flow of experience here will guide you right.

Sorry I got confused with Husky's old numbering system vs their new. (I just started buying Husky about a year ago) I thought the 288 was around the 346's size. I now recall that the 288 was replaced by the 385. I guess I would say the 288 is a small large saw. How much are they asking? You can find very good prices on new saws on Ebay. I have bought 5 saws on Ebay and was happy with every one, but buy new.

You have 2 things in your favor with this saw

First off, it probably hasn't seen many hours of use because of its size. Second, the rental place isn't going to let any moron use that saw. The local place here was skittish about renting out an 036 until I gave him my background. Didn't rent, was hoping they had a bigger one I could have.

And, yes, they usually maintain their stuff really well. Rental places don't get paid if the equipment goes down on the job.

If the price was "right", I'd be in. As far as price, look for a history on ebay. It will at least get you in the ballpark. Condition of the chain and bar should be taken into consideration, but, I think If you could get it for $400-500, you would be doing good. I paid $425 for an O66 (comparable Stihl) that was a good runner, but was well used, with a serviceable 36" bar and no chain. I feel good about the deal, even though the clutch will eventually have to be replaced ($80), it is worn, but will still stall the saw like a new one would. Until it slips, it stays.

Good luck, and have fun.

oldsaw said:
If you could get it for $400-500, you would be doing good.

They are asking $350.00 for it...maybe even get a new chain as a freebie :D.

If the seller has several of the same model saw in his fleet, and he's real specific about selling you that specific saw, but not any of those "rental saws" over there, I'd be very specific with asking about the history of the individual parts of the particular saw you are buying. What can happen is the seller will decide to have his OPE mechanic swap the worst worn out parts off each of the other saws, and "assemble" a special composite saw, 100% made up of overdue junk parts. In that case, he "saves" the other saws in his fleet, and you will end up with a "auction parts saw," wherein no major part will be worth saving.

Hello,

Marko had a good advise. Rent it and they will very likely forget about the rental fee if you take it for the 350 bucks. That would be a very fair deal and you have all the time to check it out.

Best regards
Christian

oldsaw said:
Second, the rental place isn't going to let any moron use that saw. The local place here was skittish about renting out an 036 until I gave him my background. Didn't rent, was hoping they had a bigger one I could have.

IMO, they were skittish because you are young. An adult moron could probably rent one no problem.

Rent it, then check the compression, remove muffler and check piston, cylinder, port, cleanliness, check carb and air cleaner area, check castings for hairline cracks etc. make sure there are no leaks from the gas and oil tanks, and that all controls are in place and operate smoothly and properly these are the items that will cost you an arm and a leg to get in to. If it has been abused badly it will show up in those areas.

Arrange for a new air filter, bar/chain and sprocket as part of the deal, you have now minimized your potential cash outlay for future use.

Thanks guys.

How does 288XP compare to 372XP? I've read a lot (of good things) about 372 but hardly anything about 288. Is it not a good saw?

Dario-I have a 372 and have used lots of 372s and 288s. The 288 is pretty much the best saw Husky ever made i.m.h.o. The 2 series saws (266, 288 etc) are tougher than the 3 series especially the ones that have the steelbrake. The 372 is a lighter saw, more all purpose. The 288 is a really nice falling saw, has more pull. Great saw for falling and bucking second growth trees 2-3ft at the butt.

If the saw is in good shape from the thoro lookover (what Lobo said)....that price seems fair. Good saw. I would like to find one myself sometime soon.

i stopped in one rental store that is one of a nationwide company. the manager told me that they buy large numbers of any model ie: 55 or 346. he said the reason for that is because the saws get so beat they can scavenge parts and not need to buy new. he felt it is cheaper this way and no waiting for parts. he showed me some really abused saws. he did offer me a run over echo. i could see it was new but the parts needed would have been expensive. that is were a fellow came back and demanded his money back because the saw stopped cutting. the chain was rocked. i asked what he was cutting and he said the roots on his hedges. the manager and i talked back and forth and the guy said "what? it was only dirt". we tried to explain using the comparision of a sharp razor on your face but the guy responded with "well maybe you shouldn't rent junk".
he had saws there that even though the saws go out with mix and bar oil, people still use straight gas. most times people trying to get 8 hours out of the saw, not underestanding that the gas is mixed with oil. he also said all saws go out with new chains. most times when they come back they are so bad he throws them out. the semi-chisel he showed me was so bad i wouldn't mess with it either.
i don't think a rental store would intentionally hurt you an a saw. good luck but use caution. marty

if they are selling that aw.. its because the profit margin on it ..is not up to their other saws.. possibly. still itll probably serve you well. good luck.

What we were told is that it is not getting rented as much as the small saws. Whether that is BS or not remains to be seen. They only have this one big saw left most are mid-range saws.

The saw is actually not in my area (other than Lowes, we actually don't have a Husqvarna dealership around here). My brother in-law scouted this for me. I cannot personally inspect it but he sent me 2 pictures and he said that they tried it and it worked great.

For the price he believes it is well worth it. He is not a chain saw expert but works on model planes, helicopters and hobby race cars so he knows about 2-stroke engines a lot more than I do.

I already told him to get it and mail it to me. Anticipation is already building up :D.

Thanks guys!

Woah, that's another major cc jump ;) and saw # 4

There is alot in the archives about that saw, tap in 288XP into the search bar. Lot of positive comments. Are you thinking about milling with it?

Anyway, I hate to be the one to tell you, but you have left a gaping hole in your new arsenal in the 60 cc range :p lol

Latest posts

Back