....Renting out my new log splitter and my back...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailride

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I told my wife this new toy would pay for itself.. and thats where my trouble started.
I really needed a splitter but was having a hard time justifing the $1800.00 investment so
I came up with this ideal that I would put an ad on C-list offering my services. In the ad I
said that I would split for 35.00 an hr and if any cutting was needed I would do it for 45.00 an hr.
well I have my first job this sat. but im starting to think I didnt charge enough. I can use some advice!
I love the work and would really like to build a part time firewood business.

Seems too high to me. I personally Wouldn't pay anyone by the hour to split wood unless they could guarantee their output and have proper insurance .Going rate around here for full processing service is $50- 60 per cord.

So, I told my wife this new toy would pay for itself.. and thats where my trouble started.
I really needed a splitter but was having a hard time justifing the $1800.00 investment so
I came up with this ideal that I would put an ad on C-list offering my services. In the ad I
said that I would split for 35.00 an hr and if any cutting was needed I would do it for 45.00 an hr.
well I have my first job this sat. but im starting to think I didnt charge enough. I can use some advice!

How did the first job go? So what makes you think you didnt charge enough? Fuel charges for equipment and vehicle to get to the job?

If its 4 foot ugly knotty rounds you'll earn that $35. Then the guy will say you aren't doing it fast enough. Might be better off charging by the cord.

I see you are from Buffalo, if you are serious about selling firewood I can hook you up with some good (read nearly free) wood sources of ash and oak within 10-12 miles of you. I said nearly free because you would have to cut, split and haul it.

I charge $50.00/hr for myself and the splitter, and I am fussy about what I do. I can easily knock out a cord plus per hr. if the processing area is set to my specs. I always go look and I don't travel that far(gas and time add up). The 2 guys I do this for have there wood cut to size and stacked as rounds in rows, so I can pull along side and grab and split. As the pile grows(sometimes they are not available to remove processed wood when I am on site), I just pull forward and continue until finished. I usually knock out 4chord or better on a Saturday morning with this technique. Now when I am splitting for campfire wood, I charge per bundle, as this gets a lot more labor as the splits are smaller. Some people probably think I charge too much or wouldn't pay what I charge, but I know what I have invested in my splitter and I know what I can make doing something else, so it's just not worth it to me for any less. I also don't take trades or barter for anything! Cash/check/credit card only when I finish, no exceptions!

I think I'd rather just sell firewood at that point. Too many "what-ifs" in your scenario.

Hook up with Walt - that sounds like the way to go and sell some cord wood next year!

Well, that's cool, but I would think charging by the cord would be better, and give them a generic rate + or - depending on what wood you are splitting (like 35 to 55 a cord maybe). Perfect wood (say straight grained oak or ash, maybe 16-20 inch diameter) could be at the lower rate, big gnarly crotches and hard to split stuff (4-5 foot beasts with limb heartwood involved, and elm to boot..) at the highest rate, wood in between that at the medium rate.

charging by the cord instead of by the hour, no one can accuse you of slacking to pad the bill, etc.

It is like most any other contracting, way more common to charge by the job over by the hour.

How did the first job go? So what makes you think you didnt charge enough? Fuel charges for equipment and vehicle to get to the job?

Im doing the job this sat. and as far as not charging enough, I need to trailer the splitter to him witch is 30 miles away. im going charge him for gas but if he doesnt have much work I dont want to drive 45min to make 50 bucks.

Well, that's cool, but I would think charging by the cord would be better, and give them a generic rate + or - depending on what wood you are splitting (like 35 to 55 a cord maybe). Perfect wood (say straight grained oak or ash, maybe 16-20 inch diameter) could be at the lower rate, big gnarly crotches and hard to split stuff (4-5 foot beasts with limb heartwood involved, and elm to boot..) at the highest rate, wood in between that at the medium rate.

charging by the cord instead of by the hour, no one can accuse you of slacking to pad the bill, etc.

It is like most any other contracting, way more common to charge by the job over by the hour.

I know if I were to hire my splitting out, it wouldn't be for the easy stuff. Sometimes I think it might be worth it to pay someone to break their equipment instead of mine on the miserable stuff. I would also set a minimum charge.

Im doing the job this sat. and as far as not charging enough, I need to trailer the splitter to him witch is 30 miles away. im going charge him for gas but if he doesnt have much work I dont want to drive 45min to make 50 bucks.

30 miles is quite a long way to travel unless it is a big job. Does he know you are also charging him for gas? Its not a service I would pay for but Im sure it is for many others. You need to make sure you aren't losing you butt in expenses which at the rates you have plus the travel just to the one job if its not much you are going to be making next to nothing after expenses.

I think you should go to your wife and tell her that renting yourself and your splitter was a bad idea. Then tell her that when you get far enough ahead you will sell wood. A supply until 2023 should be far enough ahead!

thank you for getting back to me! I think im gonna try that and charge but the job and we will see how that goes.

I know if I were to hire my splitting out, it wouldn't be for the easy stuff. Sometimes I think it might be worth it to pay someone to break their equipment instead of mine on the miserable stuff. I would also set a minimum charge.

that makes perfect sense to me. but this guy just bought this house and the pile was sitting in the back yard. he sounded like he didnt have the means to do any work like this himself.

I think you should go to your wife and tell her that renting yourself and your splitter was a bad idea. Then tell her that when you get far enough ahead you will sell wood. A supply until 2023 should be far enough ahead!

your probably right! lol

I would not pay that much to have my wood split. I also would not do the job for that little either. I would tell the wife that every split you keep is saving you money. The longer the splitter lasts it pays for itself. So it would be 100 cords to pay off, your wood included. Thats working for free labor. How many cords is you splitter going to take before it craps the bed. Keep it for yourself, tell the wife to but out. It's your back your saving, worth it in the long run.
Splitters hold there value. use it for 20 yrs, then sell it for what you paid for it. Free splitter.

your probably right! lol

Nothing stopping you from doing both, selling wood, and custom splitting for people. Get around three years ahead, and always cut every year twice as much as you burn, and you can make some bucks a year and be paying off the splitter and saws, etc that way. Nothing extreme, just "some". Say you burn five cord year. Once you have 15 cord up, and cut ten cord a year, well....add in custom splitting for people, there ya go, this isn't any huge wear and tear on the equipment given proper maintenance.

with firewood, stay small or go huge, in between...err....you can't afford the equipment, it makes no economic sense. Small *or* large pro level, either one, but not in the middle...

Small scale, you need that level of equipment anyway for your own use, you have it, some saws splitter and truck, so....make it pay for itself without going nuts and overtaxing yourself or gear.

I have been rearranging some piles, etc from around here, restacking and cleaning up. I technically have this years ready to rock in two stacks. Then over yonder in split/stack area #2, I have several more stacks as my future stash, several winters worth. Been going through the leftovers in my first stacking area from the last three winters, those stacks, putting them all in one new stack, and DANG if I ain't sneaking up on two full cords of oak and hickory "surplus" (all leftover tornado blow down wood). If I wanted to, I could sell off this surplus right now or swap or whatever. Not a ton of cash, but basically like scrounging change under the cushions, it's leftovers for me, it was cut and stacked to be used, but made it through these past winters without it. Surplus, well seasoned good stuff. Just sorta snuck up on me. And I have tons more kicking around, and I split it all, every stick (whatever needed it, half is just small rounds branch wood), by hand! And most of that was in 15 minute to half hour sessions, just putzing around, my little woodrobics workout time I give myself. And that doesn't count the several cord of pine campfire wood I have which can be stove wood as well..I just had it, so..cut split stack (still a lot to go actually, but a lot is done)

Think about just something like one truckload cut on the weekend, half a cord maybe, or one third, whatever your truck would hold without overloading it, then putz around and bust it up during the week sometime. Do it again, do it again. That's a decent amount per year, at small scale. 15-25 cord, if you could move that much, all with light duty equipment. wouldn't take too long, all your gear is paid for, with a lot of life left in it, along with saving on your own heating. A few steady customers, especially if you can deliver as it is split, one less step in handling, from splitter tossed right into the truck, throughout the year, and you are set then, gravy train.

Hi,i,ve been doing mobile splitting for years,cut,split landowners own trees.I charge one hour or $55 travel one way,minimum 4 hour job.After 4 hours work splitter rate reduces to $50 per hour.Cutting is $50 per hour.Charge more if difficult site.Camp firewood is extra splitting so rate is $75 per hour.Normal sized heater split wood, machine does about 4 cub metres per hour.It works out for customers, they get their own timber cut,split for about half the cost of buying it in at current firewood prices.GOODLUCK.:cheers:

Just do it, no big deal, heck its tax free & JUST PACE your self.... You have to learn so this is how to do it, by doing it, have fun, take a few pics and share them with us. I agree on a minimum rate, atleast 100 bucks.

Latest posts

Back