Repairing a cracked plastic gas tank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thread is officially hijacked :)

I don't mind my thread being hijacked, I think the flippy cap is a prime example of over engineering. I like when you think its locked but it opens and pours oil all over your leg. Nice.
Thanks for the info on fixing the tank. Welding sounds like the way to go, but I think I'll try a combination of using the solder gun and reinforcing it with a screen and JB weld.
I did find one(a tank) On e-bay for 44.00 bucks(That includes shipping)but moneys tight right now, and I have a solder gun and JB weld.
Thanks for the help. I'll post pictures unless its to embarrassing.

I don't mind my thread being hijacked, I think the flippy cap is a prime example of over engineering. I like when you think its locked but it opens and pours oil all over your leg. Nice.
Thanks for the info on fixing the tank. Welding sounds like the way to go, but I think I'll try a combination of using the solder gun and reinforcing it with a screen and JB weld.
I did find one(a tank) On e-bay for 44.00 bucks(That includes shipping)but moneys tight right now, and I have a solder gun and JB weld.

Post em anyway, we've all messed up....:greenchainsaw:

Here's your answer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4hIVaXlaw4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4hIVaXlaw4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LMFAO!!!!! I love the side by side...

ridiculous german engineers...

I own a VW TDI Jetta, and just did a cam replacement:angry:, so, I can speak from experience....

POST PICS! I would suggest the soldering iron as well. I've had good luck with the reg small round tip working the crack LIGHTLY, initially, then finishing the area with the flat piece....and laying in the screen. smooth with some JB, and finish with some good paint, if you so choose, gotta be careful with fuel spilling everywhere though...

J

LMFAO!!!!!
I own a VW TDI Jetta, and just did a cam replacement:angry:, so, I can speak from experience....

Me too and I haven't replaced the timing belt (I'm at 250,000 this week) because the process to do it is about 200 pages of instructions and special tools...:chainsaw:

Me too and I haven't replaced the timing belt (I'm at 250,000 this week) because the process to do it is about 200 pages of instructions and special tools...:chainsaw:

Brian,

This would NOT be the place have some for me to FLAME you for that, and I will take my questions/comments to PM...but we need to chat a bit!!!! The TB is not that hard if you have decent mechanical ability, and some ingenuity you only need ONE $40 tool, which you can sell when your done, or keep it for another TB.

Bottom line, TB= 100k miles. much more than that, you risk DETROYING the engine, as when it breaks, the valves will contact the piston...

Beast, posr lots of before/after pics!!

J

Brian,

Bottom line, TB= 100k miles. much more than that, you risk DETROYING the engine, as when it breaks, the valves will contact the piston...

Yeah I know. Problem is time. It's my only car that I use to get to work. It's only a 2005! What I need is another one with the same engine so one can be maintained while the other is driven...

Yeah I know. Problem is time. It's my only car that I use to get to work. It's only a 2005! What I need is another one with the same engine so one can be maintained while the other is driven...

And I thought our 04 had a lot of miles @ 244k! lol

BEASTMASTER how have you made out on the tank???

Here is the results of my do it your self crack repair. I first cleaned off the area real good. Then I Ved out the crack a little. Braking out my trusty soldering iron I melted the crack closed. Then I filled what was left with an two part epoxy made for plastic. Theres been several tanks of gas ran though the saw so far and its holding tight. I also fixed some cracks in the starter cover using the iron on both sides of the cracks. Seemed to have worked fine.
Now the top handle on the 200t is broke at the base on the front of the saw. I ran some screws throw and bolted it all together. I don't have much faith in that repair though.
I want to thank all of you for helping me out. Couldn't of done it with out your advice and sharing of knowledge. Beastmaster.

Hope it holds up well for you, I have several pieces of fuel tank plastic saved up to use as donor material for when I weld up other tanks,it really works out good,have done 5 tanks and 6-7 handles ,all are still out there working. A piece os metal screen imbedded in areas of stress seem to help out a lot.
Pioneerguy600

Here is the results of my do it your self crack repair. I first cleaned off the area real good. Then I Ved out the crack a little. Braking out my trusty soldering iron I melted the crack closed. Then I filled what was left with an two part epoxy made for plastic. Theres been several tanks of gas ran though the saw so far and its holding tight. I also fixed some cracks in the starter cover using the iron on both sides of the cracks. Seemed to have worked fine.
Now the top handle on the 200t is broke at the base on the front of the saw. I ran some screws throw and bolted it all together. I don't have much faith in that repair though.
I want to thank all of you for helping me out. Couldn't of done it with out your advice and sharing of knowledge. Beastmaster.

Pic assist: Looks good beastmaster!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks folks. This post saved me plus or minus $230 for a replacement from stihl. If I was getting it replaced at the local mower place I would be up for another $100. I used the soldering iron inside and out on my Stihl 024 and hot glued the outside also. Happy days!

Latest posts

Back