Replacing the old Farm Boss.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep1998

Reaction score
Howdy, just found this site. I am trying to decide if I should go back with a Stihl, or should be looking at other brands.

I ran a quick search and found several people like the husqvarna 340/345, and then others like the Stihl 270/250/290.

My old Farm Boss was about 35 years old, when was up north I used it hard every year cutting wood. Now I am down south I only use it a few times a year and cut 1-2 cords of wood for the winters. Well the saw finally died, and the costs to rebuild and all the parts needed are very hard to find (this saw is so old it does'nt have any modern stuff like inetia/clutch chain brake).

Prices for the Stihl are about $360-$390 for the 270/290 w18" bar, best i can tell from Google will visit the dealer later this week. Husqvarna's run about $300-$350.

My main question is for cutting 1-2 cords of wood per year, would I be fine with the Stihl or husqvarna? Which one do most prefer (I know a much debated question) And is the 50-55cc about what I need or should I be looking smaller/bigger, or even a cheaper class of saw? I used a cheap craftsman w/18" bar and did not enjoy it at all.

Thanks,
Pete

blacksheep1998 said:
Howdy, just found this site. I am trying to decide if I should go back with a Stihl, or should be looking at other brands.

I ran a quick search and found several people like the husqvarna 340/345, and then others like the Stihl 270/250/290.

My old Farm Boss was about 35 years old, when was up north I used it hard every year cutting wood. Now I am down south I only use it a few times a year and cut 1-2 cords of wood for the winters. Well the saw finally died, and the costs to rebuild and all the parts needed are very hard to find (this saw is so old it does'nt have any modern stuff like inetia/clutch chain brake).

Prices for the Stihl are about $360-$390 for the 270/290 w18" bar, best i can tell from Google will visit the dealer later this week. Husqvarna's run about $300-$350.

My main question is for cutting 1-2 cords of wood per year, would I be fine with the Stihl or husqvarna? Which one do most prefer (I know a much debated question) And is the 50-55cc about what I need or should I be looking smaller/bigger, or even a cheaper class of saw? I used a cheap craftsman w/18" bar and did not enjoy it at all.

Thanks,
Pete

Only lasted 35 years, what a bummer,LOL. Question should be why change if the first one lasted 35 years. I know most would stick with any brand that lasted that long and not think twice about it..

I'm with Thall on this one.
Why change on something that lasted that long and they are still building quality equipment.

Although I do not own a Stihl, if thirty five years isn't a testament of quality and durability I dont know what is. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the box store cheepies, you will just be back in a year or so for another one.
Find a comparable replacement for your stihl.:)

THALL10326 said:
Only lasted 35 years, what a bummer,LOL. Question should be why change if the first one lasted 35 years. I know most would stick with any brand that lasted that long and not think twice about it..

That argument would hold water if the Sthil build quality was exactly the same or better in 2007 as it was 1972. I don't know if it is or not and I would be interested in what the experience of long time users/rebuilders are.

Uhhhh....that WAS a long time rebuilder/user that just made the statement...

:dizzy:

Chaser

scrench said:
That argument would hold water if the Sthil build quality was exactly the same or better in 2007 as it was 1972. I don't know if it is or not and I would be interested in what the experience of long time users/rebuilders are.

THALL10326 said:

Lets see I have a John Deere chain saw. Made by Echo.
Runs great maybe he should try John Deere or would that be Echo.
Point is. What use to be is not anymore.
Don't under rate an Echo in your search for a new chainsaw Could save you some money.
Also in a 50cc A Dolmar 5100 is the bad boy on the block.
Dolmar is the first company to come out with a gas powered chainsaw.
They are back and they are taking names.

Yes, most prefer either Husky or Stihl. Others get all the serviceablitly from Johnsered, Dolmar, and certainly Echo as Manual noted...

Go visit your local dealers. You can probably narrow down what brand to buy from that experience alone. I'd be totally content w/ a Husky lineup but my Stihl dealer is stellar - and is an Exmark dealer as well. Leaves parts outside for me if I need something after hours.

FWIW warranty doesn't mean squat if you have a crappy dealer - or product. IMHO price/warranty is a diversion from what should be considered important. In many cases the lower quality products have longer warranties - it's a selling point and it works beautifully. Not really the case w/ Husky/Stihl.

Look at all the junk that has a lifetime warranty...(not all, but many). I basically buy stuff as though it had no warranty - which is about what most equate to anyhow once you read them.

Quality dealer - any brand - will stand behind his product if he knows you, how you treat your equipment, and knows his buisness well enough to honestly diagnose why any given failure occurred. It's understood that if you only darken his door once every 35 years... :cry: if you want to when he treats you like a stranger.

Doesnt' matter if you buy a Husky or Stihl - either can be totally reliable. None of us have to live with your decisions - just our own. :cheers:

Chaser

So the first saws I looked at were the Wood Boss and the Farm Boss. But saws have changed so much since the old farm boss i had was made, not sure what it would compare too now, my best guess is to replace it with one the saws i posted before. Also Like someone else said, is quality still where it used to be with Stihl? I like that the MS290 has the steel bearing and other internals like the pro saws.

I'll also look at the husky warranty, thanks for the tip Adrpk

Dolmar 5100, is about the same price, nearest dealer is 30 miles away. Only 3 dealers within 60 miles, and they are all rent-all places. Interesting they have a dealership in Newfoundland.

Thanks,
Pete

wagonwheeler said:
Uhhhh....that WAS a long time rebuilder/user that just made the statement...

:dizzy:

Chaser

LOL. Faux pas by me then.

Perhaps then......a discussion with specific examples of some wrench jocky type 'equal to/better than' build quality? No Stihl vs XXXbrand. Just old Stihl vs new Stihl.

In this modern world of outsourced components of questionable GC, it would be good to know of a product that has been consistent (or improved) throughout its history.

Last edited:
Don't look at the Wood Boss/Farm Boss names...it's just a bar with letters painted on it. It's another distraction that capitalizes on models long gone. Dunno that it was ever meant to indicate anything in particular. My 361 currently has a Farm Boss bar on it.

Though a solid saw (read heavy), the 290 is not like the pro saws. Takes more than bearings. If your dealer told you that he's losing points fast...if the Stihl website says it, it's just something to blur the mind...Like saying you drive a Hummer when it's a H2 or H3... 290 crankcase is still plastic - like comparable Huskys. It's one of many reasons why they cost less than the magnesium cased pro saws.

Every company offers a range of saws for a range of applications and service life is matched to that market. None you have mentioned are 'pro'. But that certainly doesn't mean they cannot last for many years at 2 cords a year even as long as your old saw...

5100s is a fine saw w/ a lot of lattitude. :chainsaw:

Chaser

blacksheep1998 said:
So the first saws I looked at were the Wood Boss and the Farm Boss. But saws have changed so much since the old farm boss i had was made, not sure what it would compare too now, my best guess is to replace it with one the saws i posted before. Also Like someone else said, is quality still where it used to be with Stihl? I like that the MS290 has the steel bearing and other internals like the pro saws.

I'll also look at the husky warranty, thanks for the tip Adrpk

Dolmar 5100, is about the same price, nearest dealer is 30 miles away. Only 3 dealers within 60 miles, and they are all rent-all places. Interesting they have a dealership in Newfoundland.

Thanks,
Pete

I'm not a Stihl user, so I can't offer advice on newer (or compare to older) models, but PLEASE do not assume that because a manufacturer made a high quality product 35 years ago that it will be the same story today. I live for Homelite saws, but only those made prior to mid 80s. After the 410 and 540 series, no decent saws (in my opinion) have came from Homelite (and these last models were actually made by Solo).

Stihl saws made today may be even better quality than your Farm Boss, but you shouldn't assume that. There's nothing better than seeing and using the new products first hand to make that decision. Any friends or neighbors with new saws? Visit dealers of the various models and ask for demonstrations. And there's more than quality to consider. Ergonomics and maintenance are huge factors in selecting a saw. If it doesn't feel right in your hands and if simple tasks like bar adjustment and filter cleaning are cumbersome, you won't be happy with the saw, even if its built solid. Hopefully whatever you decide on will last you at least another 35 years.

Best of luck,
Dan

TreeCo said:
Pete,

The models of Stihl saws you are considering are not Stihl professional saws.

Be very leery of advice from those repeating the Stihl mantra suggesting you stick with Stihl just because it is a Stihl. I'm a Stihl user myself but I don't own a non pro Sthil saw and don't ever plan to.
It isn't stihl mantra. Stihl is a great saw, and I'm guessing that the amount of cutting he will do the stihl saws he mentioned would do just fine. He doesn't need to spend all his money and buy a pro saw if he doesn't need to. and why is it that when someone brings up a stihl "homeowner" saw it is junk. But someone mentions a husky "homeowner" saw and it's good. I used husy's non pro saws and every one of them sucked! A poulan with different skin. I've owned several stihl non pro saws and found them to be very good running saws. Thats why i like stihl I've never really had any bad luck with them. And someone mentioned Stihl outsourcing there production, husky can't even make their owm bars or chains and are owned by a conglomorate.

BTW. I see that you listed the MS250 as a possible choice. I use one regularly. I got it frome some idiot who just gave it to me because he thought it broke. I put $25 worth of parts in it and it is a awsome running little saw. I use it more than most my other saws. And it is non pro.

I would respectfully suggest you go back to the Stihl dealer and take a good look at a MS361. It costs more than the MS290/390 you mentioned but I think it has gained a reputation for being a great saw that almost everyone likes. It is a pro model that might last as long as your old saw. I have one and really like it.

scrench said:

The argument holds up just fine, what doesn't add up is your idea that it doesn't. If you had a saw that lasted 35 years why would you switch brands, seems its a slam dunk decision.

First off, welcome to arboristsite!

So you're looking to cut 1 or 2 cords of wood per year plus the occasional fallen limb or whatever, right? That is NOT a lot of cutting by any measure and does NOT necessitate a pro-grade saw; your saw will spend far more time sitting than being used, after all. The sort of use you're contemplating is the very reason that they make non-pro saws!

I like magnesium-cased pro saws as much as the next guy, but I also like to be realistic about the saw's intended use. Depending on the size of wood you normally encounter, you could easily get away with a Stihl 250 or 290 and have both a very reliable saw capable of bucking and felling respectably-sized trees AND some extra cash left in your pocket. Could you do it faster with a bigger, "better" saw? Sure. But since you've got the whole year to get your 2 cords cut up, what's the hurry?! I know a number of people who have been quite happy with the 250 and 290. I was one of them - my 290 was my only saw for a long time and cut tons of wood in the years that I had it. It never failed to start, to run properly, or to get the job done. The only reason I sold it was that I bought another saw that weighed more or less the same and had nearly twice the power output, so you can guess which one of the two got picked up more often.

If you're willing and able to spring for the extra cash, either a 361 or 440 would make for an excellent all-purpose saw, especially if you intend to be in 20"+ wood a fair amount of the time. But those saws cost nearly twice what a 250 or 290 does, so the performance and price increase may not be worth it for your intended use; only you can really know whether it is "worth it" to you or not.

If I was going to be limited to just one saw and it was going to come from the Stihl line, it'd be a 440 - I could run an 18" bar most of the time and a 28" when needed without asking more of the saw than it could be expected to give.

Back