Replacing the old Farm Boss.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blacksheep1998 said:
As someone else said, yeah I know "boss" is just a label they throw on the side. From my old saw the specifics on it are very hard to find, heck even parts took a month to locate. If it was still around I could give you serial numbers to look up and find out what it was. Anyways, I figured if they called it a "Boss" back then, it should be the same size/class of saw now just updated materials and technology.

As for the Warranty's they are the same 2 years on both for consumer use. The husky gives you lifetime on ignition parts only. The dealers around here are limited. I have 2 Sthil dealers (there are more, but i have not dealt with them) that have been in business since the late 60's, one has turned to the darkside and rips you off every single time (the also sell snappers), the other is still family owned, they sit and will talk shop all day long, and have great service. I have used them for parts and advice over the past couple of years and it has all been great. With the Husky dealers only found a couple around here kind of far out, other than the lowes/home depot/northern tool kind of place, but those guys only sell, not service so they don't really know reliability.

So what I'll take from all you guys advise is to go with either the same brand I have used in the past, or the one with the best dealer support in my area. Since the saws I am looking at are the same price points, I was looking for a specific reason as to not go Stihl, or husky.

I'll go visit the Stihl dealer I know next week and pick up a saw. It is going to be in the 270/290 range, as I have not seen anyone post that I should go smaller. I also can't justify the price diff for a PRO saw, yeah I dont like the thought of plastic, but if 1000's of people use them, this list would kow if there were serious problems.

Thanks for the advise.
Pete

Pete, I'm 75 miles from Raleigh, are you on the east side? My brother's ( business partner ) wife works at NCSU. We are not that far from you and we sell Quality Chainsaws, Stihl, Husqvarna, DOLMAR, and RedMax. I recommend you buying from your local Stihl dealer if he treats you right. If you need any help with your purchase we will be glad to help. Check out our website. Tony Flinchum

manual said:
four or five brands is not the whole world.
I know that I have gone through more woman then that before I found the one to settle down with.:D
Besides I don't know if I want to compare women to chainsaws.

You stud.....

TreeCo said:
Thall you are not listening to LakeSide

The saws in question are not pro saws. Lake mentioned all Stihl saws were considered pro quality 35 years ago, but that is not the case today. Lakeside also mention the consumer saws are harder to work on. Lower quality and harder to work on starts sounding like a throw away saw.

The bottom line is the consumer saws Stihl is selling today are not of the same quality of Stihl saws 35 years ago. Stihl is reaching out to the non pro market with non pro saws. These non pro saws will be in the landfill while the pro saws will be worth repairing and rebuilding.

I'm sure all saw manufacturers are faced with similar marketing pressures and are responding in a similar fashion as is Stihl.

Thall you've got to lose the Stihl mantra. You sound like a recording and it's costing you your creditability.

Dan you didn't read the mans post. He said in fact he was looking for a reason not to go with Stihl or Husky. No one could give him a valid reason, making what I said right on the money. He also said he was only looking at cutting 1 or 2 cords of wood a year now so why does he need a pro saw for that, hmmmmmmmmmm. Good try Dan but as usual you come up short with the facts,hehehehe.

blacksheep1998 said:
I'll go visit the Stihl dealer I know next week and pick up a saw. It is going to be in the 270/290 range

I think for your stated uses that you are making a good choice. Two of my buddys have MS290s and they cut like a champ... they're a little heavy, but as was said before, you're not going to be cutting with it 6 hours a day, every day.

good luck,
Ian

THALL10326 said:
Dan you didn't read the mans post. He said in fact he was looking for a reason not to go with Stihl or Husky. No one could give him a valid reason, making what I said right on the money. He also said he was only looking at cutting 1 or 2 cords of wood a year now so why does he need a pro saw for that, hmmmmmmmmmm. Good try Dan but as usual you come up short with the facts,hehehehe.
Oh yes I did mister. The 029 is a good. I had one and liked it.
IF I was to buy a new saw today in the 50cc class it would be the Dolmar hands down. Dolmar is WAY more advanced then ANY Sthil on the market.
I would not worrie about Dolmar leaving us soon.

manual said:
Oh yes I did mister. The 029 is a good. I had one and liked it.
IF I was to buy a new saw today in the 50cc class it would be the Dolmar hands down. Dolmar is WAY more advanced then ANY Sthil on the market.
I would not worrie about Dolmar leaving us soon.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Manual the story is a closed book, he made his choice, not the one you liked but your not buying his saw. He had good reason to choose the way he did, he found no one could give him a reason why he shouldn't just like he said. See it was common sense all the way,hehehe

Saw Choice

Mr. Homeowner here, but cutting a lot more than two cords/yr., my firewood, helping friends, and some clearing at a little school.
I have an MS250, 029, and Timberbear.

Two cords, 12-16" trees, occasionally bigger, clean up a friends yard?

MS250 is fine. You're more likely to screw it up with stale fuel than to wear it out! I looked at Stihl and Husky. The more open construction of the Stihl appealed to me. The feature I liked on Husky was that the compression release came on theirs at a smaller engine size, but I went with Stihl and have no trouble starting the 250. If you had a saw for 35 yr, you may be reaching the delicate age when drop starting a high compression saw disagrees with you. If so, be honest and go for a compression release! The Timberbear, cheap old thing from Harbor Freight, has a pretty good size engine but starts really easily with the comp release. But it's WAY too heavy for continuous use! I just get it out for big ole trunks. As soon as the big stuff is down and the main trunk bucked, I switch to something smaller!

I think if you keep either sharp you'll do fine. Also, be sure to run monthly or so and use stabilizer! Keep the mix right and don't loan to goofballs. Assume everyone is a goofball.

Hope that helps,

manual said:
THALL10326 said:
No one could give him a valid reason,

And I said I did.
I don't care what chainsaw he buys.
Its not my money.

Me neither, heck 1 or 2 cords a year, shoot any saw he chooses will handle that. Wait a minute, this isn't right, you and me are agreeing,grrrrrrrrrrrrrr,LOL

manual said:
THALL10326 said:
Ok Slick whats up. LOL too

I'll tell you whats up bud, hows comes you didn't tells me that you gots yourself a non-zebra chainsaw,haha. How do you like that tinging clutch on that 361,lol, alot of them do it.

Lakeside53 said:
Hey, don't you try to start me and Tom fighting... We'll just gang up on you!:hmm3grin2orange:

No fear on that Lake, Dan would like that but he doesn't deserve the pleasure, that Georgia feller must be a Ty Cobb fan,haha

Uwharrie you in asheboro? I'll be going through there tomorrow. Those links you had the first one i guessed to be your website? A dolmer however nice it is; is still 75 miles for a dealer to work on it seems a bit far.

infomet, I used the saw for 18-20 years, before that it was my dads he cut, I split and stacked. So on a 35 year old saw I used it for about 20. compression release still sounds like a good idea if it is offered on the mid class saws.

Yeah I loaned the saw out 2 times, both it came back dull as heck, and a little dirt in the bar. At least the second time i loaned it when it came back the guy ave me a new chain cause he knew he had wasted the old one.

Thanks,
Pete

THALL10326 said:
manual said:
I'll tell you whats up bud, hows comes you didn't tells me that you gots yourself a non-zebra chainsaw,haha. How do you like that tinging clutch on that 361,lol, alot of them do it.
Huh Huh Huh Maybe you can figure out the vibe problem but thats another post.

THALL10326 said:
manual said:

Depends on which clutch... They were updated... Guess Manual got an early version.. Don't sweat it Manual - it works fine.

Back