Reservoir Baffle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all! TGIF! The reservoir I am making for my splitter is 7" square tubing 40" long which will double as the axle. I read that you should have a baffle inside. I don't understand how they work and how to make one for my reservoir.

Thanks to all that have the time to help.

Cheers!

Sid

I'm not entirely sure of the specific need for a baffle in a hydraulic reservoir, but in fuel and water tanks of any size they are needed to keep the liquid from sloshing around too much when moving. They also add strength to the tank as well.

Building one is simple. For a buddy's auxilliary fuel tank I helped build, we just took a piece of I think 1/8" plate steel and drilled several 1/2" holes in it in down towards the bottom. Then we made some spacers so the whole thing sat about 1" above the bottom of the tank and welded it in place.

I may be wrong, but I think the idea is that anything that settles out of the oil will not be drawn toward the outlet of the tank and drawn to the pump. And with what you're describing, you may need it. You should have enough volume and the outlet should be high enough to allow particles to settle to the bottom of the tank and stay there. You definitely want enough volume to give the oil a chance to cool down. I would say a piece of steel blocking the bottom portion of the tank would be considered a baffle.

In your tank a baffle will probably not be needed due to it's length. A baffle is used to lessen turbulence near the suction outlet and to increase the distance the fluid has to travel between inlet and outlet, to allow for the most cooling and let contaminates settle.

One think that i have seen is that the baffle is placed around the suction port to stop the chance of a whirlpool effect (i.e.) your pump would start sucking in air. With only a 7" high tank i would think this would be something you may consider,

Last edited:
baffles are to encourage air to come out fo the oil, and to encourage oil without air to go to the pump.

your tank also has the problem of it not working if you put it at a sideways angle.

A simple solution. put a 4 inch tall UPRIGHT section on the tank. The idea here is that the if your upright is like 3 feet tall, and somewhere in the middle of the tank, you can guarantee the horizontal section is always full of oil.

also, aerated oil going past it would tend to "float" up.

so, like an upside capital T

you dont need a baffel, put it in if you want but you dont need it

oil returning in to a tank at the bottom will not make air in it
if your getting air in your system then seals in your pump or valve
are bad

take big buckit fill it up with your garden hose then put the hose
just under the surfess and you see a lot air in the water then lay
in the bottom level and you will not see any air

if have a bad water company in your town sending air in the line then i dont know what you will see

look at the pictures they may help you

Thanks for the help guy's. What I ended up doing is extending the return line down inside the tank about 2 inches from the bottom and welded a piece of plate horizontaly above the outlet port.

Cheers!

Sid

Latest posts

Back