Reset the M-tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I remember reading somebody posting you can reset the M-tronic. How do you do it?

I remember reading somebody posting you can reset the M-tronic. How do you do it?
Take the bar and chain off, crank saw in choke position, and leave it on choke running for approx. 90 sec. Then move mastercontrol lever all the way to off. Reinstall bar and chain and go make several full cuts

KG, you only left out the part that the chain brake is off.
I wonder why in the manual it says in the regular startup procedure to start with chainbreak on but in resetting to leave it off? I do believe they have aproblem witb some mtronics with the hot start issues. too many people having the same problems

Those sound like safety precautions to me (ie...in case the saw runs fast enough to turn the chain). My dealers mechanic described the procedure briefly and I thought he said something about an additional idling cycle after the 90 sec run on "choke" but before the test test cuts ??? Just curious.

Those sound like safety precautions to me (ie...in case the saw runs fast enough to turn the chain). My dealers mechanic described the procedure briefly and I thought he said something about an additional idling cycle after the 90 sec run on "choke" but before
the test test cuts ??? Just curious.
Not sure? Service manual says nothing about additional idling?

Someone posted a more in depth, or at least more complicated procedure for resetting the M Tune. It was some time ago, but I remember seeing it. Maybe in MasterMind's last Ms241c thread?

I just sat through a Stihl tech class and we discussed the 441-CM pretty thoroughly. No additional techniques in resetting the M-tronic. I think the hot start issue might be guys not moving the selector down to the "choke" position on every start. I could be wrong.

I just sat through a Stihl tech class and we discussed the 441-CM pretty thoroughly. No additional techniques in resetting the M-tronic. I think the hot start issue might be guys not moving the selector down to the "choke" position on every start. I could be wrong.
It says nothing in the manual about starting in choke every time? I'll call Stihl Tech support Monday morning and ask some questions

No additional procedure sounds nice and simple. I never set mine to choke when warm and it fires first pull every time when warm.

The small issue I am having with mine is that when I set it down to idle and move some wood around sometimes it will die but it always fires right back up on 1st pull. Maybe it is because I run 36:1 but it seems the m-tronic would adjust to the mix.

Mine has never, not once, failed to enthusiastically start on the first pull warm or hot. 4 pulls max if very cold and/or ran completely dry of mix (I seldom have done that since finding non-eth fuel source).

No additional procedure sounds nice and simple. I never set mine to choke when warm and it fires first pull every time when warm.

The small issue I am having with mine is that when I set it down to idle and move some wood around sometimes it will die but it always fires right back up on 1st pull. Maybe it is because I run 36:1 but it seems the m-tronic would adjust to the mix.
It's a very simple system that makes the adjustments based on RPM and the temp sensors in the ignition module. Oil ratio would only be adjusted for if it effected RPM or the temp, which I assume it would.

yeah there was a thread about some cm saws stopping when sat down and idled for periods of time. i believe its a carby pump adjustment or similar. try searching with 441cm stalling or the like.

Maybe I'm just missing something here...but if you're going to let the saw idle for more than 15 seconds...just turn it off..:confused:

Just got off the phone with Casey at Stihl Tech Support. The correct way to recalibrate is crank saw in start position and let idle for 90 sec in the start position. After 90 sec blip throttle to run position then shut off. Restart and let idle in the run position for 60 sec then shut off. Recrank and make 5 full cuts. A few notes was he said no need to remove bar and chain and also to recrank in the start position everytime not in the run position

Just got off the phone with Casey at Stihl Tech Support. The correct way to recalibrate is crank saw in start position and let idle for 90 sec in the start position. After 90 sec blip throttle to run position then shut off. Restart and let idle in the run position for 60 sec then shut off. Recrank and make 5 full cuts. A few notes was he said no need to remove bar and chain and also to recrank in the start position everytime not in the run position
Argh! I wish all the Stihl "tech" guys would get together and give out the same party line on what to do. In reality it may not matter, but we were told to not touch the throttle at all and move directly to off. Nothing about letting it idle in run, just get out and do the test cuts.

Back