Resistance is Futile- new saw inbound from the West Coast.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I really tried to hold out for the new Stihl 661 but I gave in for the urge to have something else. I reasoned that while I wanted to try the Stihl- I no longer had bars or chains for them, and have several configurations that would fit Husq/ Jonsered, so let's just keep it simple and stick with them. Back in late March a listing came up for a particular Mastermind Saw that really got my blood pumping. I made a couple post in the thread but resisted the impulse. No one else bought it and the thread expired. Then in April the listing came back up- and I again was active in the thread but never contacted the seller. I made the mistake of going to "Mastermind7864's" youtube channel and it was now futile to resist any further. I had several times gone back thru the old listings and I always got stuck on this particular saw- so late last week I decided to shoot the feller a PM. Unfortunately his inbox was full. I shot Ol' Randy a pm regarding the listing (never hinting that I wanted him to call for me), and out of the blue Randy offered to call him for me.:rock: As luck would have it the seller still had the saw. This thing was coming together as if it was meant to be. Randy, being the great friend he is, handled everything for me. I asked Randy to have the saw shipped to him bc I am working a lot right now and Kari (who usually is a stay at home mom) has spent the last month at her parents house taking care of her father who is on Hospice, so there would be no one here to recieve the package. Once the saw comes in, I will be picking it up and dropping my Husq 2100 off for a complete restoration/ woods port- killing two birds with one stone.

It's red. Supposed to be smoother than a 288 with higher RPM. Should fit nicely between the 288 and 2100 and help balance my Husq/Jonsered ratio.

Last edited:
Me and the red ones are kindred spirits it seems. Was able to swapp the o44 with MDAVLEE for the 2153. Was able to make a deal with Mclaren for the 2171- he drove it half way to me. Then this saw is avail since March and no takers- it was destiny. I wanted to get this one back to TN to it's "forever home". Since it was ported here I figured it would be like coming home for it.:msp_wub: I've been able to twart the 390xp interest since I have such a special place for the 288 but the fact that this one was red and I know it was built the way I like em.........:cheers:

I'm guessing you got the 2188 with a full wrap that was on here? :givebeer:

Somebody had to give it a home.:msp_wink: It had been taunting me for 2 monthes.

Last edited:
I even considered getting it myself. I thought it had sold again or I probably would have pursued it a little more.

Well I went to visit "muh fwend" up on the plateau today. Had my 2 little girls with me. My oldest daughter Ryleigh (4) is very attached to me- I can be doing the most miserable task and she is always right there lending a hand instead of playing. Madalyn (3) is more like me- she does her own thing most of the time and is a real peice of work. I tried to sneak off this morning to see Randy but Ryleigh was having a little breakdown about wanting to go so I loaded up the car seats in the truck. We took the backroads up the mountain and enjoyed our ride singing at the top of our lungs (it's a Daddy thing). Kari and I are having to give special consideration to the kids right now since they are a little emotionally shipwrecked at the moment. I have kept it private but my FIL Walter finally gave up the battle he had with Stage 4 gleoblastoma brain cancer these last two years on Sat June 15th at 11:14pm. The kids had been going back and forth between Kari's parent's house, our house, and my parent's house for the last two monthes. I sat up stairs on my in-laws bed for 2 days and was with Walt when he passed. I picked him up with ease after he passed so my MIL could change his shorts and under garments. I also shaved him before the Funeral Home took him away. It was the saddest experience of my life. My heart aches for the pain Kari and her Mom are dealing with right now. It is so difficult to watch the body fight to hold on up to the last second and then be no more. Being there with Kari and her family exposed my kids to the "loss of someone you love." But the kids were where they needed to be- in the house where mom and dad were. The extended family helped keep the kids downstairs and distracted but still they were affected. Now everyday, the girls have a little episode when I have to leave for work (luckily I make my own sched) and can go thru our little spill in the mornings. They want to know where Im going and "you'll be right back?- tomorrow?- no... tonight girls." It's a beautiful moment- at the same time it is sad that they are having those concerns.

Anyways, back to saws. I got to pick up my new 2188 today while I was dropping off my Husq 2100. Randy was a great host as always and I enjoyed the limited time I got to spend there. Let me tell you- I have a new favorite saw. Holy Batman- the 2188 is a monster!:rock: Put a 24'' bar on it and a "decent" chain..... blipped it..... put it to the wood and it raced thru the cut. I was kinda taken back by the speed it went thru the log. Had to make a few dozen more to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Nope, this saw is the real deal!:msp_wub: Very pleased with this purchase.:msp_wink:

Looks real nice. I'm sure you were impressed with the cutting speed of it. :yoyo:

Well I went to visit "muh fwend" up on the plateau today. Had my 2 little girls with me. My oldest daughter Ryleigh (4) is very attached to me- I can be doing the most miserable task and she is always right there lending a hand instead of playing. Madalyn (3) is more like me- she does her own thing most of the time and is a real peice of work. I tried to sneak off this morning to see Randy but Ryleigh was having a little breakdown about wanting to go so I loaded up the car seats in the truck. We took the backroads up the mountain and enjoyed our ride singing at the top of our lungs (it's a Daddy thing). Kari and I are having to give special consideration to the kids right now since they are a little emotionally shipwrecked at the moment. I have kept it private but my FIL Walter finally gave up the battle he had with Stage 4 gleoblastoma brain cancer these last two years on Sat June 15th at 11:14pm. The kids had been going back and forth between Kari's parent's house, our house, and my parent's house for the last two monthes. I sat up stairs on my in-laws bed for 2 days and was with Walt when he passed. I picked him up with ease after he passed so my MIL could change his shorts and under garments. I also shaved him before the Funeral Home took him away. It was the saddest experience of my life. My heart aches for the pain Kari and her Mom are dealing with right now. It is so difficult to watch the body fight to hold on up to the last second and then be no more. Being there with Kari and her family exposed my kids to the "loss of someone you love." But the kids were where they needed to be- in the house where mom and dad were. The extended family helped keep the kids downstairs and distracted but still they were affected. Now everyday, the girls have a little episode when I have to leave for work (luckily I make my own sched) and can go thru our little spill in the mornings. They want to know where Im going and "you'll be right back?- tomorrow?- no... tonight girls." It's a beautiful moment- at the same time it is sad that they are having those concerns.

Anyways, back to saws. I got to pick up my new 2188 today while I was dropping off my Husq 2100. Randy was a great host as always and I enjoyed the limited time I got to spend there. Let me tell you- I have a new favorite saw. Holy Batman- the 2188 is a monster!:rock: Put a 24'' bar on it and a "decent" chain..... blipped it..... put it to the wood and it raced thru the cut. I was kinda taken back by the speed it went thru the log. Had to make a few dozen more to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Nope, this saw is the real deal!:msp_wub: Very pleased with this purchase.:msp_wink:
Going thru it right now with my brother. Actually just taking a break from the hospital where he's dying!! Very rough experience and feel for you my friend!! Very sorry for your loss!
All the best to you and your great family!!

Going thru it right now with my brother. Actually just taking a break from the hospital where he's dying!! Very rough experience and feel for you my friend!! Very sorry for your loss!
All the best to you and your great family!!

Make the most of every single moment you have with him. Tell him all you need to say. Pls dont leave anything on the table. My FIL stayed in a med induced deep sleep for the last two days, but I got right beside him and told him what needed to be said while I held onto Kari and her mom in each arm. I reminded him of the first time he saw his little girl.... how he felt. That, that was how I felt the first time I saw Kari- that I could love her unconditionally and thru anything. I also told him that when he entrusted her to my care and I said my vows to her.... that there was a special promise in that for him and Linda- that I would always care, love and respect Kari. And that it was ok to go to rest, that they didn't loose their daughter- they gained a son. I promised him I would look after Linda and make sure things were done around the house. I also promised him to raise our 3 kids into adults he would be proud of.

It was a very tender moment, and was very difficult to say thru the tears, but I have no regrets in what I said.

Say what you need to say to him...... I will be thinking of you and your family in the coming days. Whatever you do, dont bury your feelings and emotions- its much harder to deal with later (that's what I did when my Papaw passed back in 06). If you need to talk- we can do so over pms or I can give you my number.

I hope you find peace that only God can give while you face this trial in your life.

I like the new saw. I am sure you will enjoy it, plus it fits in with the 2153 and 2171 real well. Sorry about the loss of your FIL. You and your family will be in out thoughts and prayers.

Latest posts

Back