Resivior too small?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirenut2266

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Folks: Have a 16gpm pump on my splitter project. Have a 5 gallon resivior sitting around. Would like to use it, but I have a feeling oil will overheat ? Will only get used 2-3 hours at a time. Should it be used, or should I get a 10 plus gallonj to be safe. I feel a 15 gallon or larger may be smidge too big??? Let me know best opion???? Bruce....:spam:

Wirenut, In my opinion it would work if you were using it only in the cooler months. If you use it in the middle of the summer it might get a little warm. Mine is a 16 gpm pump on a 9 hp motor, with about 9 gallons of fluid. I am not worried about it at all, even in the summer. Maybe you could just change the fluid a little more often than if you had a larger tank. :monkey:

In my experience 1/2 the GPM in volume is more than enough so even though that is about a 1/3 it should be ok. You'll know if its not enough as the cylinder will be very hot to the touch. Hydraulic fluid should run about 120 degrees.

Depends on your situation. Is it just for you, your home heating wood? If so I would use it and not worry a bit. If you are doing high production splitting day in and day out for a bizz then no, I would go higher.:cheers:

Back