Resurfacing the bar rails.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leave my bar square. No chamfer. At times I just hit the outside with a belt sander so I guess it may be chamfered out there but certainly not much. What’s the idea of doing that?

If the outside edge is flaring out or had a burr I'll do a quick pass to knock that down, but that's mostly so no one cuts their hands while handling it.

View attachment 772828 First I use the 30” x 1” belt sander with the table set at 90 degrees to the sanding belt. I make quick light fast passes till both rails are parallel. Next is the chamfering of the square corners. the square corners of the chain can bind in the square corners of the bar if not chamfered correctly. It’s less friction on the chain if the square edges on the bar are chamfered. See drawing.
I bought a table saw at a garage sale.
Ground the teeth round an d made sure it was dead square to the table. A fairly rough sanding disc and I’m set.
Easy to handle any sized bar and the cast iron doesn’t drag.
Cratex to deburr

This will work and easy to use.
shopping
If that’s a Pferd I bought one at the Paul Bunyan Festival. Easy to use and works great.

Back