Revert from Power Pruner to > Pole Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
Curious if any others have sold or hung-up their power pruners and gone back to pole saws.

For about 2 years, I owned a gas operated Echo power pruner, but soon after went back to just using 6 foot fiberglass pole sections with a saw blade attachment.

That was at least 4 years back, long before losing 60 pounds. So for me, it was in the technique, convenience and enjoyment for the tool.

I don't have more than minutes to a couple of hours pole pruning at a time. If I went for 6 hours and lots of 4" or larger wood ... maybe a power pruner. But with a sharp blade, 3" diameter and smaller is pretty easy to deal with after years of cutting.

I use mostly the Stihl 131.
I think the weight and awkwardness of the Stihl is still usually less than the effort of sawing with a pole saw, esp. hardwood, or dead limbs.

I, along with everbody else in my group, hate those power pruners. I bought one of the things new about ten years ago and everybody used it just a little, a wee little, and then wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I almost bought a power pruner after a bad windstorm that tore through the area 2 years ago...otherwise, I don't know that I'd use it often... I try hard to get my hands on any cut I'm going to make, so even the pole saw is limited use - but necessary.

I use my HT-101 about one-fourth as much as I use my pole saw with the thick, wider, Fanno blade. The HT-101 has its uses, and in some cases I think it is a real labor and time saver. Thing is, it is terrible for finish cuts as it will almost always take a nibble out of the parent branch you want to save, no matter how much control you think you have. Even so, I'm glad I have it. For quick limbing of lower branches prior to take-downs or more involved pruning gigs, it's a good tool to have.

I have a 14' consumer-grade manual pole saw, with a decent blade and lopper that I use for light trimming from the ground, and a consumer grade electric pole saw. I understand that this is different from in-the-tree work.

But I also got to try a 40 volt battery operated pole saw for storm clean up work. In that situation I am not looking for clean looking pruning cuts, as much as I am trying to relieve tension, or to 'simplify a problem' (tangled trees) from a distance. I really like the power saw in that application, because some of the branches are thicker, and I may not have the space or access for moving a manual blade back and forth.

Philbert

it is just literally CRAZY to decide to not have a gas polechainsaw in lieu of a manual polesaw. Manual for climbing and pruning. Low limbing and reachable cut backs from the ground or stepladder with the power pruner. Indespensible and just another tool in the box. Never don't have one hanging out of the back of my pick up every day of work all year long. If you don't you may just be an amateur or a weekend warrior. Vaden is mainly an armchair arborist.,

Use both, a lot. I do way more pruning than removals. So the hand poles get used all the time. I have all the attachments out there for them and have several poles, so I usually have them at the ready. But hitting the gas on a 5ft long 8" dia stub, 12ft high, left by ROW is dreamy. I also like to use it in the bucket, it is very cumbersome up there, but, if your in a bomb city job, ya can park that bucket in the middle of the canopy and get your saw off. Also, when doing any type of pine or spruce, it's nice clearing the way from the ground, then, if you are in the bucket, ya step back about 10ft and go up and you can shave the tree pretty fast. I don't recommend climbing with it tho, very heavy hanging off the hip,LOL! Think it all depends on the application.
The thing about the gas ones, they can be treacherous to those who cant read wood. I have seen and heard of many minor to major bobo's from guys standing too close and not realizing that they are the LZ. When whatever lets go, they are not ready for it and it lands on top of the pole, sliding down it and hitting the operator, or its big and it slams the pole down, bending it.

We have one, but in the last several years Iv'e maybe used it three times. I prefer a pole saw. On smaller stuff, less then three inches a good pole saw(think silky)will cut just as fast. As far a proper cut I find its almost impossible to do with a power saw, power pole saws are heavy and not well balanced.
I buy these cheap extending polesaws from home depot, throw the blade away, and modify a silky blade to fit on it.
But then again I rarely use a chain saw in a tree unless it a removal or has a lot of big dead branches, so I'm provably bias.

Ive been so happy with my double thick mondo blades, I re sharpen them and keep them real sharp which makes quick easy work with pole sections, especially climbing. When in the bucket ( the best tool on the truck ) is the hydraulic stick saw, if you were not trained on it and think it's just for line clearance well you will miss out on a much easier , faster , productive multi tasking tool. it stays on the boom with tool holders and is there for when i need it, keep you away from the danger , insulated and cuts WOOD not just branches, you can be in one position and cut several branches or leaders with ease. keep the Saws in the scabbard with me as well when it's time to break them out too. the more tools you have the more versatile you can be to pick and choose your weapon!!

Power pruners are the greatest invention in the history of the universe. It rivals the light bulb, the wheel, and the internet. I could make the 30 mile commute to work on my son's skateboard, but I'd rather drive my car. Pole saws do have there place. It is usually for climbers working a tree crown.

Both. I use both in the tree and each has their place. Along with the manual pole saw, I have the interchangable lopping head for pruning with the Silky Hayauchi. The power pole saw I use for those strange angle removals up in the tree that the manual pole saw just isn't cut out for. Of course from the ground, the Silky will get me up in the tree 20+ feet. The power saw is an easy change also and sharpening is free. The Silky blades are around $60.

Power pruners are the greatest invention in the history of the universe. It rivals the light bulb, the wheel, and the internet. I could make the 30 mile commute to work on my son's skateboard, but I'd rather drive my car. Pole saws do have there place. It is usually for climbers working a tree crown.

It's so basic in design, that I almost don't think of it as an invention, even if it is one. Pretty much a chainsaw on a stick.

I find it a curious thing that it was not developed earlier in time than it was.

Back