Reviving some old chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just found a couple chains, from back in the days (20 years ago) when I didn't really know how to maintain my saw... when the chain got too dull I just bought a new one... sheesh. Anyway, they're very dirty but the cutters look good, there's no visible rust, so they're worth restoring and putting to work. Any recommendations on cleaning and prepping them prior to sharpening?

Ummm, I pull chains out of my toolbox that are OLD, throw them on the saw, touch them up a with a file, and use them. Or I go to about 50 STIHL RS 20" chains hanging on a wall in the barn that have been there forever, and are only half gone. I don't clean my chains up or anything; make a few cuts and they look clean.

If you've dropped the chain on the ground and got sand/soil/etc. in it, while there are probably a hundred ideas out there, what I do is put it into this old aluminum fying pan I kept for this reason and pour a little whatever in it. It can be old gas [be very careful], laquer thinnner, etc. Mess it around a bit with a stick or something, dry it out [or blow it off with comp. air]. Sharpen, then hit it with wd 40 or motor oil [a little does it, some people soak them in it but I don't]. Or any variation of the above. You can use a coffee can, anything, reason I like the fry pan is you can spread out the chain a lot and it doesn't use very much volume of solvent.

Back