Rhino wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPS. LLC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do any of you guys use a Rhino or similar side by side for around the woodlot and for recreation? Two reasons, I am considering selling my Bobcat and would like something to move bulk items around with on my property. Also, my son wants a new ATV...the way I see it, he gets my old Honda Rubicon...so I've justified this in my head...now for real world questions:

Work wise, do they stand up to the punishment of hauling, dumping and towing? It will be used to haul, skid and tow wood...

Recreationally, will I regret not having a Grizzly to play around on, or will the Rhino be just fine?

If you have experience with a side by side, I'd like to hear your experiences, thanks.

They will definitely stand up. I have had one about six yearsand have used it hard.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

They will definitely stand up. I have had one about six yearsand have used it hard.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

I'm taking a hard look at the Ranger...looks like Polaris is on top of this game. UTVs aren't very common here, people like me stand by their 4 wheelers. I'm way behind as far as technology goes here.

I have had a Kawasaki Teryx for the last 4 years and absolutely love it. I hauled some firewood in it but mostly used it for pleasure. I also used it to move my trailers around the yard. I would never go back to a 4 wheeler. Looking at a Can Am now.

just picked up a 2012 Ranger 800 Xp with power steering. I'm in the process of adding goodies. Love it so far.

An economic observation

For what they want for those thing$, you can buy a nice used older 4wd vehicle, say like an old blazer or whatever, cherokee, bronco, tons of different makes and models in the less than full size pickup range, take out the back seat, and just for around the farm, put *real* offroad ag tires on it, not those "on road, looks like an offroad" tires most guys run. THAT makes a big difference. It'll haul and pull just as much as any of them ten grand little buggies will. Side by side seating, and at least the potential for AC in the summer as well as heat. If you ain't running it on the road, no insurance or tag required, and you can go nuts with modding it, lift kit, winches, you name it. Parts at the nearest competitive auto parts store and junkyard.

If it was me the rhino is a lot of fun and still has a decent bed for hauling. I went from 660 grizzly to 660 rhino very happy. I looked at the Polaris ranger looked great not as sporty as the rhino but probably a little better for chores still I would pick the rhino. Now if you want pure fun my buddy has the Polaris rzr 900 xp only room for a cooler but wow what a ride but you could buy a great 4x4 truck for the price.

An old friend of mine bought a new Rgino a few years back. Tons of fun to cruise around on but this one did not like to work. Dragging a small spring plow for a deer food plot and it would just overheat. Hauling rocks in the dump bed and it would overheat. Did not like going slow I guess. It was a ton of fun to cruise around in. needs beer holders though!:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a Rhino 700 and would not be without it or another side-by-side. It replaced a Grizzly 700 that I enjoyed very much. I appreciate the hauling and towing capability of the Rhino over the Grizzly. I also enjoy sitting and being able to bring another person. I like the selections of the four wheel drive unit. You can go from regular 2 wheel drive to regular four wheel drive and for really touch situations you can switch to low range four wheel drive. I also mounted a receiver hitch on the front so I can move the winch to the front or rear. Very handy. Almost five years on the Rhino and it has served me very well. As for which make and model of side-by-side to buy is determined by what you will be doing with it now and in the future. Some were designed just for utility functions, some for only sport riding and some for a combination of the two. I bought the Rhino because of the sport and utility combination that it provided. My advice would be to look carefully at each model available today, make note of the pluses and minuses of each, research maintenance records and choose the one that best fits your individual needs. And always remember, no matter which model you choose, they each come with sharp teeth that can bite you! Good luck and I am sure you will find them very handy, no matter which model you choose.

If you are looking for more of a work rig check out the Kubota RTV's . I have been very happy with the RTV900, handier than a shirt pocket !:msp_thumbup:

For what they want for those thing$, you can buy a nice used older 4wd vehicle, say like an old blazer or whatever, cherokee, bronco, tons of different makes and models in the less than full size pickup range, take out the back seat, and just for around the farm, put *real* offroad ag tires on it, not those "on road, looks like an offroad" tires most guys run. THAT makes a big difference. It'll haul and pull just as much as any of them ten grand little buggies will. Side by side seating, and at least the potential for AC in the summer as well as heat. If you ain't running it on the road, no insurance or tag required, and you can go nuts with modding it, lift kit, winches, you name it. Parts at the nearest competitive auto parts store and junkyard.

I hear what you're saying and I like your thinking on it, but there's also no denying what the narrower vehicles can accomplish in tight areas and trails that are just too slim for a regular vehicle.

While not as "sporty" my Gator 6x4 does a fair enough job. I've had enough oak in the bed to make the front tires very light and it moved it no problem. It also drug my chipper(brush bandit 65) out of the back yard after the October storm...foot of snow and no prior path to speak of. It wont win the race but it'll drag a ton of stuff across the finish line! Oh yeah,it's the 18hp gas version. I can only imagine what the diesel can do.

43acf8e6-5a2e-404a.jpg
Nuff said.

I do not know if this will fit the bill for you but I bought two mitsubishi mini trucksView attachment 227882I had to buy the two it was a package deal .I only want one so one for sale.the truck 2wd but so far it has been good for me hauling wood . I do plan to upgrade the rims and tire to something more aggressive . The truck has everything a normal truck has but in a smaller version .headlights wipers and Heat . I am asking $2.700 this alot cheerer than any side by side you can buy, and still keep the bobcat .

I have a couple quads, and they are fun and we pull some logs with them and do some light work. I also have a 1992 Isuzu rodeo. Cost me $500, plus another $200 in random parts to get it fixed up. Keeps saws dry, holds extra gear, V6 motor, 4wd, we can run to town for gas or drinks, insurance is $125 a year. It squeezes right down any trails my small wood trailer can get down. I would like to get a geo tracker for the small size if I can find one decent shape. They are also already a soft top. We have started stripping it down and taking doors and windows off a couple times, but end up putting it back together when we need room in the barn and it is going to rain.
Just a different cheap option.

utv

I would have to agree that from my experience, depending on what you want to do with it a side by side does have its advantages. I have had several jeeps and Geo trackers. I have bought all of the trackers for an eighth of the price of my Polaris ranger. You can find them cheap and they will work well for getting in and out of the woods. The space my ranger takes up in the pole barn is not too much less than the space my wrangler takes. However there are instances where the ranger shines and we have found this whether it be when cutting wood or retrieving deer from the woods. It will haul anything I have tried to haul or pull with it. My daughter loves riding around looking for deer with it in the summer on the backroads around our home. I am used to having quads and dirt bikes and can tell you that I have just as much fun spinning donuts in the backyard with the ranger as riding any of the bikes I have had in the past. Just my .02 cents as I have played around with just about all of them. It is pretty hard to beat a $500 tracker or toyota...those can sure be fun too.

I purchase a new 500 ranger in october and have never regretted my decision.I use it for my firewood as well as trail riding.
This is my second side by side and I hope to never be without one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, a lot of great ideas. I have looked at the Rhinos and the Rangers this week, and from my opinion, the Ranger is on top. I am trying to combine work and play, something I can haul wood this weekend and next weekend be enjoying with the boy on the Hatfield-McCoy Trails the next weekend.

Boy, those RZRs looked like a real good time...had to try to stay focused..

The plan for now is to see what property we find once our house finally sells. Looking for more acreage and can more easily justify which model to purchase. As of now, its definitely a Polaris over the Yamaha.

I've had a Rhino for about five years that I use it for hauling light loads and getting around the property. It's pretty much bulletproof in that capacity. I'm shopping for a diesel trans Mule (Kawasaki) which has two bench seats and a small bed or it can be configured to have one bench seat and a large bed.

Back