riding a crane pick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all in your head, that tree lost no strucural integrity. Piece of mind but a waste of time.

Riding with the pick is no big deal. I do it to get a drink or just come down and bs for a few. I do it when they are not even dead, once the load has settled just go with it. Using spider legs or two slings is more important when riding in case a top decides to roll while your under neath it.

It's all in your head, that tree lost no strucural integrity. Piece of mind but a waste of time.

How much pretension are you talking also I doubt the tree will break from it but also have never seen it. Do you tell the op what to put on it? You really don't need that much pretension. Pretensioning is mainly to get all the slack out of the boom and winch. 1000 pound piece only needs 5 hundred pounds you should also be pulling up not left and right. Cut straight threw skip that sissy shelf stuff. That adds more stress sometimes than pretensioning.

See thats where you become a tool :msp_w00t:, you start a thread about riding the crane both ways then you take ####s on friendly recommendations , then too top it all off you mysteriously can tell from a 3 minutes video from what I can tell was the closest of 30ft that 2 cranes are lame and that tree was fine , well then guess what stay in your big leaf maple cause I think the trees sound enough and your just being a ####Y ... Jesus man LOL , don't ride both ways cause thats lame and homos:dizzy: do that ....

Last edited:
Riding the pick is fine if you want a lift to grab a drink, or its the last piece from out of a poor access back yard. Why not make your cut tied in, repel down, and stand clear. While the crane op is lowering the piece into the LZ you can be planning out your next move instead of slowing down the ground crew. then tie back in near the tree.

Use a bigger crane 50 +, and use your small crane to support your climber,

[video=youtube_share;pCCDcN4DRbg]http://youtu.be/pCCDcN4DRbg[/video]

anyone can say what they want, but this video demonstrates someone asking to get seriously injured or killed, those limbs could have easily hit him in the head. Do that long enough and it would happen. not smart at all.

Too much equipment and not enough brains to use it properly. working with saws and cutting trees out is dangerous enough as it is, without being a jackass.

I just watched it again, and its even worse than i thought the first time.

Last edited:
Riding the pick is fine if you want a lift to grab a drink, or its the last piece from out of a poor access back yard. Why not make your cut tied in, repel down, and stand clear. While the crane op is lowering the piece into the LZ you can be planning out your next move instead of slowing down the ground crew. then tie back in near the tree.

because he does not want to be tied into the tree at all because it is possible that it will fail at the base if stressed

because he does not want to be tied into the tree at all because it is possible that it will fail at the base if stressed

Yeah, i get that. Make the cut tied into the ball. Repel down to the ground. watch piece sail away into the sky

Yeah, i get that. Make the cut tied into the ball. Repel down to the ground. watch piece sail away into the sky

some of the climbers we work for like to tie their climb line into the dead end on the crane boom tip in situations like this. this allows the pick to be held independently of the climber. the crane can adjust the load if needed without affecting the climbers position. climber makes the cut, crane holds the load, climber rappels down and out of way, crane moves with load as needed. climber controls his positioning himself. radios work nicely here, as climber can advise op if he sees problems developing as he is making the cut.

See thats where you become a tool :msp_w00t:, you start a thread about riding the crane both ways then you take ####s on friendly recommendations , then too top it all off you mysteriously can tell from a 3 minutes video from what I can tell was the closest of 30ft that 2 cranes are lame and that tree was fine , well then guess what stay in your big leaf maple cause I think the trees sound enough and your just being a ####Y ... Jesus man LOL , don't ride both ways cause thats lame and homos:dizzy: do that ....

Lighten up, that tree is toast and the two crane deal was not what I was posting about. You've been following me around like a love struck puppy for awhile. How bought you actually contribute something. Never seen a pic of you in a tree, im sure you are good tree worker but not so sure you are tree climber, so id hold of on the ##### comments.. Anyway you make me laugh so ill give ya that, but then again so did Aerial Arborist. Thanks for the posts from everyone else I learned a few things.

Lighten up, that tree is toast and the two crane deal was not what I was posting about. You've been following me around like a love struck puppy for awhile. How bought you actually contribute something. Never seen a pic of you in a tree, im sure you are good tree worker but not so sure you are tree climber, so id hold of on the ##### comments.. Anyway you make me laugh so ill give ya that, but then again so did Aerial Arborist. Thanks for the posts from everyone else I learned a few things.
fair enough but we already talked about whether I am seriously mad or just breaking your balls , I do find you interesting enough though , I mean I enjoy your posts too , and I do post pics from time to time just rarely ever of work mostly funny or different stuff , I am not a real tree worker but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night if ya wanna see pics of me in a tree , go on my profile page I have a picture up for guys like you LOL

My personal feeling on the video is that of indiffernce. I am neither impressed or unimpressed. Dude had two cranes there.....good for him. As far as riding a pick, it can be a little touchy but def not out of the question. If you are that concerned about the integerity of the tree then riding some picks may well be the safer way to go.

I am not as experience as some on this board with crane removals, but I do one or two a month and at times a lot more then that. I did a huge dead walnut tree on a hillside a while back. It was crunchy dead with compromised(pulpy) roots, and I rode a lot of the picks down, not trusting the tree. I cradled some and stead on them while attached to the ball with my climbing line, and on the more vertical ones, I used a long choker setting it lower then I normally would so it would be on sound wood, then used a short sling with a carabiner, up near the top of the pick, placeing the sling on the branch and then snapping the biner on the choker cable to stablelize it(it was a knuckleboom crane) some, make the cut, let him pick it up, then unhook and follow it, hanging off my climbing line the piece above me. when I was over level flat ground I would lowing my self first to the ground. I only did it on the end pieces, (it didn't feel real safe) I did stay tied in on a few tell the piece was lifted off, then undoing my climbing line off the ball and staying with the tree. after feeling secure it wasn't going to collapse.
The tree didn't bend, but had a creepy wobbleing thing going on. I would of gladly like to have had an other crane.
Right or wrong riding the pick down I know the important thing is to make sure the piece doesn't flip on you or your screwed. It seemed only a little safer then staying in the tree riding those picks down to me, but on those crispy skinny end pieces it was the only way I could of justified the risk

Latest posts

Back