riding a crane pick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr. holden wood

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up a job removing a big leaf maple around 75'. I have seen one guy go down in one,another guy blow a tower and had another friend almost go down with one. Basically they are pretty sketchy trees. This one has more then 2/3 decay at the base and is a sucker off a old stump. Im thinking the pretension of the pick could cause it to fail. I'm thinking about riding the first few picks untill enough weight is off. Guys seem to make a big deal about this , anyone done this or seen bad reults. Any advice would be appreciated.

I just picked up a job removing a big leaf maple around 75'. I have seen one guy go down in one,another guy blow a tower and had another friend almost go down with one. Basically they are pretty sketchy trees. This one has more then 2/3 decay at the base and is a sucker off a old stump. Im thinking the pretension of the pick could cause it to fail. I'm thinking about riding the first few picks untill enough weight is off. Guys seem to make a big deal about this , anyone done this or seen bad reults. Any advice would be appreciated.

In situations like that I stay tied to the ball while making the cut. No lanyard on the tree. Make the cut BELOW your friction hitch. Once the pick is made I'll then decide to either bail to the ground or tie back into the tree ( if I think it's safe/advantageous for the next choke point ) while the pick is being moved. I would assume this is far from the bull#### safe practices but some situations dictate critical decisions that may or mat not fall within the normal rule of thumb.

Btdubs. Credit goes to OD for that move.

Seems easy peasy to me and the crane op. My concern is failure of the whole tree and crane going threw the house with me included. Hope od has better things to do then post on this site, but if he's banned im done. The policing on this site is bullchit and not the merica I want to be a part of.

Seems easy peasy to me and the crane op. My concern is failure of the whole tree and crane going threw the house with me included. Hope od has better things to do then post on this site, but if he's banned im done. The policing on this site is bullchit and not the merica I want to be a part of.

Word. You have headsets to talk to the CO? I've never used them but have wanted them many times in sits like this. Don't see how he could make the whole tree fail if he only applies just enough tension to transfer the weight from the stem to the crane. Finding the right amount of tension is key though. Good op at least?

Word. You have headsets to talk to the CO? I've never used them but have wanted them many times in sits like this. Don't see how he could make the whole tree fail if he only applies just enough tension to transfer the weight from the stem to the crane. Finding the right amount of tension is key though. Good op at least?

Hey Blakesmaster after you get them, u WILL use them on all jobs, no more screaming or miscomunication, They are nice, worth the extra $500 all daY LONG.:msp_thumbup:

Use a bigger crane 50 +, and use your small crane to support your climber,

[video=youtube_share;pCCDcN4DRbg]http://youtu.be/pCCDcN4DRbg[/video]

Next........., how bought I use a jet pack and a make the pick off of a satellite.Its a 3k job that should take abought 5hrs. That type of work is way beyond me and my price point

Next........., how bought I use a jet pack and a make the pick off of a satellite.Its a 3k job that should take abought 5hrs. That type of work is way beyond me and my price point

Not to mention that tree looked perfectly healthy and there was no need for the second crane. Not sure the reasoning on that vid but dude definitely needs a bit more practice w/ da slings.

The guy is a guru imo and most others round here. Thats the thing with tree work, what you don't see will kick yer azz.This tree sits in a greenbelt behind a bunch of houses and is sheltered from any wind load. Even going easy on the tension could be the biggest force this tree has ever faced. Talked to my old boss with a m.a. in engineering and that was his first concern, this **** isn't as basic as alot of guys think.

Not to mention that tree looked perfectly healthy and there was no need for the second crane. Not sure the reasoning on that vid but dude definitely needs a bit more practice w/ da slings.

pretty sure the only reason mark used the smaller crane was because he owned it and if it wasn't there it would just be sitting at the shop.

Was Just a suggestion.. 1 crane is plenty if you have a good operator, that crew was allmark not mine ( Sorry Mark)

Yeah, Mark is a good guy. From the vid though...I mean...really? Two cranes for that was a bit overkill. And like I said, could have been much better sling placement to avoid the violent picks. Just sayin.

pretty sure the only reason mark used the smaller crane was because he owned it and if it wasn't there it would just be sitting at the shop.

That's what I figured too, but it still seems like a lot of extra work and $ to bring out an extra crane just for a SLIGHTLY more advantageous TIP. If the owner of the big crane wouldn't let him ride I could see the setup time and fuel usage but otherwise it's just #### waving IMO.

Sitting in the shop saving on fuel costs where it belongs. Ill post pics, when done and that dual crane **** was lame.

Latest posts

Back