Rigging Blocks & Pulleys???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aaf_lol.gif

Originally posted by Mike Maas
TJ, funny spot to tie your sling, right where the tree tapers down. Funny spot to choose to make the cut too, at the widest spot. Oh well, by the hour. LOL

What's going to happen when that chunk comes off? The taper will guarantee the rope won't anywhere.

What if he's cutting 4 footers for firewood? Make an odd length just to avoid cutting thru a bit more wood?

The sling will prolly slide down a bit, so what? Shock absorber. Maybe there's a notch we can't see to prevent that from happening anyways?

Here is my opinion.

attachment.php

Like the file name says, it got the job done.

I wouldnt like my sling sliding down the spar, but like Eric said, it was ok. However if it slid, then his lanyard might be under the sling, and that might not be too cool, as it is his only APPARENT tie in. However there is a snap hanging off his center hard point, so there might be something I aint seein, but if so, that is alot of slack.

It would seem to me that the piece is properly tied, and isnt going anywhere.

He is wearing twice as much PPE as half the people in this industry.

It got the job done, post more pics!!

Also, about the firewood, unless you have a hydraulic spliter (or even then), then I think that I could find easier than that to split and process to firewood.

Please excuse me for getting picky, Mike, but that list includes arborplex and true blue, which are not hollow core rope, and are not splicable normally. Also, I'm sure some of those other lines listed, which aren't as strong as Tenex, are cheaper.

And Tenex is very strong, considering it uses no synthetic aramid fibers.

Additionally, I'm not sure, and will need to ask my supplier and/or Nick, if the aramid ropes require special splicing care, due to the slippery nature of the rope.

I'm soon going to be making a bunch of slings of varying kinds, and will be using spectra or similar lines, most likely. Anybody need some lines, let me know, I get product for real low prices.

One of the rather inflexible things taught at Arbormaster training was to be tied in twice and to have both placed above the lowering sling. That can be OK, but one of the two tie-ins should be choked around the spar, then it's not going anywhere. And since the sling should be tied as high as is practical to minimize drop, there's not a lot of room. So, I see no reason not to affix a lanyard below the sling, but above the block. If for some reason, it gets stuck, and the climber needs to move down, he should be able to attach from both lanyard ends...which might mean to have a quick release on each end..carabiner or other snap.

Nice pic, TJ

Originally posted by rbtree
One of the rather inflexible things taught at Arbormaster training was to be tied in twice and to have both placed above the lowering sling.

That is what I thought, but in some of there pics (more evident in last years catalog, but it can be seen in this years) it shows the lanyard being under the sling. What gives?

TJ, I did not intend to stir things up. I was just asking a question. I have always placed my lanyard above the sling and my climbing line at waist level. I am always trying to learn a better way of doing things. I should have added more to my post than just the question.

BTW, very professional looking picture. I really liked the way you made your notch.

I like to see the pics get picked apart in a freindly professional way.

Beats the backslapping, mutual admiration that happens so often.

Brandon's a tuff guy, he can take the nitpicking.

Thanks everyone, I should have explained the pic a little first i guess,, First off, I do have another tie in it is just hanging low, w/ s little slack in it. Made it easier to move around. Before i made my cut i placed it (my climbing line above the sling..I prefer one above and one below. Tying a timber hitch below your lanyard and rope is a real pain,, much easier just to have the sling above as you see in the pic.
In regard to where i cut it, well yeah it probobally wasn't the greatest spot, but i didn't want to take it smaller, and wasn't comfy w/ it much larger. There were 3 pieces i took this size, this was the first. So i wanted to try to keep to a general size. That way i'd end up where i wanted.
No it wasn't for firewood, that was garbage.
and last of all yes i was wearing earplugs.

Thanks for all of the compliments and the criticism..Both are always needed...:D

and to my recollection, i don't believe there was any slipage at the sling. I see how that could be an issue. good point though.

Originally posted by TreeJunkie
and to my recollection, i don't believe there was any slipage at the sling. I see how that could be an issue. good point though.

It CAN be an issue. I had it happen to me once when I was learning how to rope chunks. The hitch wasn't snug enough and it slide down on my lanyard, dragging me down the tree 3 or 4 feet. NOT a fun event.
After that, I made sure to set my hitch tighter, and to NEVER have my primary lanyard below the hitch.

And Brian, when someone posts a smiley after someone says something funny(What MM said), that means they thought it was funny, too. Can you dig it?

No, probably not. :(

The only time i recollect slippage of a sling was while rigging down blocks of royal palm. Thankfully out of the bucket. I guess you should make little notches in the side of the trunk for your sling; b/c that sling slid until the chunk hit the ground. Thankfully nothing was hurt.

has anybody ever had a sling that was tied properly slide? I haven't seen it myself, but I could understand that an improperly tied sling could move. Maybe a case for loopies?

Latest posts

Back