Ripping chain too short.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just recieved the bar and chain that I ordered from Baileys last week, well ive had it a few days but just tried to mount it to the saw last night.The bar description told me that the bar would use 76 drive links of .404 063 chain, so this is how many links of ripping chain I ordered. Went to put it on and it looks like the description wasnt altogether correct. There isnt enough chain left to fit up on the sprocket after its on the bar, looks to be 2 or 3 links too short. I dont have any extra links or tools to make it longer and Baileys is yet to reply to my emails. Does anyone have any suggestions. Im looking into buying some extra links and taking it to the local stihl dealer to have it made longer, I just dont want to have more money in 2 or 3 links than i do in the chain itself. Thanks.

If your dealer is a good guy he will do it for like $10. Ain't no big thing, he will have a gauge to show him exactly how many drivers are needed for that bar.

Yes I counted and recounted. Shipping on 6 more links is over 6 bucks. Figure that and 10 more at the dealer and I have sixteen dollars in fixing a sixteen dollar chain,LOL. Makes the tools and a small reel of chain look pretty handy right now. Maybe this will be my next investment. So much for trying out the small log mill out for size tomorrow.

Links

Dusty, I have a 404 063 chain that is now obsolete since I changed to all 3/8. You can have it, but it doesn't help you for this week-end. It was on a 25" bar, so you could cut it down for a 20 and get some extra links to boot. Let me know and I'll check on shipping cost.

That would be awesome Hautions. I really appreciate it. Let me know about the shipping price and how you want to do this. Thanks again.

404 chain

I believe mine is an 80 link. It is not new, but it has half the life left in it. You could file it to 10 degrees for ripping. What bar and saw are you putting it on?

chain

Dusty check your PM. $7.33 UPS Check the zip I used. PM me a full address and I will put it in a box Sat.

dustytools said:
Makes the tools and a small reel of chain look pretty handy right now. Maybe this will be my next investment.
Sorry to hear that dusty... I hate when my plans go south due to little details like this. Awful nice of hautions to send you that used .404 chain. You are right though... the right tools DO come in handy. I just got the breaker/spinner combo from Baileys, along with a 100 ft reel of chain. Big investment, but then cheaper chains in the long run. Chains exactly as long as you want, and you can make one up in 10 minutes the night before a day of milling.

As has been said many times here, this forum will definitely help you lighten your wallet.:cheers:

I had the same thing when I bought my 42" bar from Bailey's. Bar said 135 links, but it needed 136, but I thought 137. I called up Bailey's and they sent me about 10 links and half dozen connectors for free, and shipped them that day.

Yes, I had to do it myself, but I was so blown away by their customer service that I didn't care. They made it right. The benefits of doing business with good people.

Mark

oldsaw said:
I had the same thing when I bought my 42" bar from Bailey's. Bar said 135 links, but it needed 136, but I thought 137. I called up Bailey's and they sent me about 10 links and half dozen connectors for free, and shipped them that day.

Yes, I had to do it myself, but I was so blown away by their customer service that I didn't care. They made it right. The benefits of doing business with good people.

Mark

I had a similar situation when I bought the first 3/8 chain for my 72" bar. Book says 220, my saw needs 222 for a 8 pin sprocket. Called Bailey's and got the same treatment. Good people. I've gotten into the habit when ordering chains for new bars to have them throw in 10 or so extra links and a few tie-straps. If I need to add a few links or repair the chain I'm set.

hautions11 said:
Dusty check your PM. $7.33 UPS Check the zip I used. PM me a full address and I will put it in a box Sat.
I replied to your message. Please let me know that you recieved it ok. Thanks again.

Chain

Dusty. I maoiled the chain this AM. I believe they said Wed. delivery. I sent it US Postal service.

Thank you Hautions. Do I need to add any extra with the shipping for your troubles? Also I called Baileys today and told them about my problem and they are going to make me up an 80 link ripping chain and send it to me free of charge. So thanks to you and Baileys I should have the small log mill to play with while I break the 395 in.

chain

Glad to help. No extra required. It would just hang on a nail in the shop. I'm glad someone could use it.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back