Ripping chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Methoss084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was curious to see what degree you guys grind your ripping chains at. Is 4 Degrees a good angle? Or is that not enough? We are talking about 3/8 .058 on a 2065 Jonsered. Thanks
Josh

Only 8 beers????!!!

What are you, some kind of wussy???!!!

Must be American beer!
Aren't you glad I didn't say *****??

Hi Josh, dont listen to those hecklers, they're just a couple of piss tanks.
Anywho, as we all know, we get better performance, longevity etc. when we do not adhere to manufacturers specs.
So in view of that, grind at 0 degrees, your boards will look like plained lumber.
For an exhaustive lesson on grinding for milling, get Chainsaw Lumbermaking, by Will Malloff, published 1982, by Taunton Press.
Although out of print, you can find one at www.abe.com
If you are into learning from a profusely illustrated text then this book is worth its weight in gold.
Malloff is from Oregon and specializes in milling big wood with an 090.
John

All Gypos chains are at 0 degrees including his race chains. With that said go with 5 degrees for a large power head and 8 to 10 on smaller ones.

Gypo lives in Canada so he grinds in centigrade. That would work out to 32 degrees Fahrenheit, about normal. I don't know him personally, but there is probably the usual 6 degrees of separation between us so I file mine to 26 degrees.
But seriously, ;) I am wondering why a larger powerhead would use a smaller angle. I was under the impression that ripping chain was filed to 0 deg. because it took less power. If this notion is incorrect, what actually is the reason for filing to different angles in different applications?
Thanks,
George

Thanks Gypo and guys!! I went with the 5 degrees , and the customer was very happy with the results! Hey Fish, thanks for those great links.:D

What chain did you start with?
What about the results was the customer happy with, smoothness?

Latest posts

Back