Ripples in the cut. 96 inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weka Wood

Reaction score
Hi there, Have been chainsaw milling for a while but never been satisfactorily explained what causes the deep surface ripples in the cut. Sometimes it comes and goes/ I know you dont get it with a new chain.
Also I am looking for a double -ended 96 inch bar. I believe Canon make them but the prices are crazy here in New Zealand.

Hi and welcome to AS.
I find that stopping and restarting can do this, also a dull chain or a chain with too much angle on the cutter. Rakers too short too, Just my 2 cents

A 96" double end bar is most likely going to be a custom job and will be expensive no matter who makes it. The longest stock size I have found to be advertised is 84" but I know Cannon had made them as long as 12'.

GB advertises that they make custom bars. I bet they will be cheaper than cannon too.

http://www.gbbar.com.au/extra_long_bars.htm

Good luck.

Hi and welcome to AS.
I find that stopping and restarting can do this, also a dull chain or a chain with too much angle on the cutter. Rakers too short too, Just my 2 cents

All of the above, plus as infomet says, sloppy where the chain can flop around. Also, keeping the chain tight on the bar makes for a smoother cut. When I use standard round ground chisle chain, it cuts faster than ripping chain, but way far rougher cut.

Thanks for replies.

Thanks. As you can see, there are many theories. I have had ripples after having the groove machine-hammered to the right thickness so I think it could be the "rakers" - we call them drags - too low. I have an 84 inch bar I mill with, no problems . The worst offender is my 36 inch hardnose - time for the bin.
I contacted GB bars in Australia about making me a 96 inch bar but no reply yet.
Hell I miss milling - spend all my time making furniture these days. Check out my website www.wekawood.com
Love this abborsite !!

My theory, backed up with limited observations, about this is that it is worst when the bar is not parallel to the mill in the forward/back dimension. This forces the cutters to rub more on one side or other of the kerf - can slow you down a fair bit as well.

attachment.php

What surprises me is how in some hardwoods the grooves seem to fade - sometimes completely away - as the wood dries.

Thanks. As you can see, there are many theories. I have had ripples after having the groove machine-hammered to the right thickness so I think it could be the "rakers" - we call them drags - too low. I have an 84 inch bar I mill with, no problems . The worst offender is my 36 inch hardnose - time for the bin.
I contacted GB bars in Australia about making me a 96 inch bar but no reply yet.
Hell I miss milling - spend all my time making furniture these days. Check out my website www.wekawood.com
Love this abborsite !!

Nice work! I'm just the opposite. Between work and milling, I can't seem to get much furniture built.

Back