Risky Oak (bad tree)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
asthesun

asthesun

ArboristSite Guru
Thats too many "probablys" for me, and likely alot of owners with themself or their climber, their company reputation and potential insurance claim on the line. Especially considering you've only seen the tree in a 2d pic. Kind of hard to make those proclamations without being at the base of the tree isn't it?

Or are you the guy who ends up saying..."Sorry boss, I really thought I could make it go there. But hey.....you're deductible is cheap right?"

i've had 1 insurance claim in my 9 years of climbing, on A bad bounce from blocking down a pine tree by an air conditioner. you're right, i havent seen the tree in person, i mentioned something like that in one of my posts. if you want a sure thing, get a bucket truck and a crane to take out the left side, then drop the right side. thats overkill on this tree, imo

Mapleman

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
Didn't read the whole thread, so don't know if this was already talked about. I think I'd probably put a trucker's hitch through the first crotch of each leader. Leave a loop on the backside of the trucker's and put a clevis in the loop. Tie a bull line into the clevis and cum-along it back to another tree or a big truck. Then start bombing/lowering small pieces or whatever you feel comfortable with. Without actually being on site, this is a tough call. I'd definitely do this one on an empty stomach though. I hate bucket trucks, but this might be a consideration.

ozzy42

ozzy42

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would probably take a set of ratchet straps and tighten them up about where the first of the larger limbs start so it would hold the stems together while trying to do any rigging. Not to tight though.

I agree with M M on this one.Like you said ,not too tight ,just enough to minimize separation at the crotch from the shock load and my fat ass up in the tree.

Of course tree may look different in person.Pics can be deceiving.

Stay safe ,and let us know how it goes.

ddhlakebound

ddhlakebound

Addicted to ArboristSite
i've had 1 insurance claim in my 9 years of climbing, on A bad bounce from blocking down a pine tree by an air conditioner. you're right, i havent seen the tree in person, i mentioned something like that in one of my posts. if you want a sure thing, get a bucket truck and a crane to take out the left side, then drop the right side. thats overkill on this tree, imo

Right on man, sorry for bustin your balls like that. I'd had a crappy morning, and your "noob" and "noob move" comments didn't sit so well.

I didn't see anything noobish about an experienced guy saying he had no need or desire to climb and rig in that one. He didn't say it couldn't or shouldn't be done....he just said he wouldn't.

If you don't mind, would you please explain why you thought it was a "noob move" to rachet strap the two leads together in preparation for rigging?

asthesun

asthesun

ArboristSite Guru
Right on man, sorry for bustin your balls like that. I'd had a crappy morning, and your "noob" and "noob move" comments didn't sit so well.

I didn't see anything noobish about an experienced guy saying he had no need or desire to climb and rig in that one. He didn't say it couldn't or shouldn't be done....he just said he wouldn't.

If you don't mind, would you please explain why you thought it was a "noob move" to rachet strap the two leads together in preparation for rigging?

i guess i was in that kind of mood too. i'm not an overly-cautious person as far as using ratchet straps and the like, i've never seen them in use ever. to me thats more of a peace of mind than a solution. i have tied a few bull ropes on split trees before i climbed to make me feel better, but when i was done i realized it wasnt necessary. in my opinion, on a daily basis the wind puts as much strain or more on a tree than you ever will rigging it. once you have removed the first few limbs, you are certainly in the clear and you can commence to jump around as you please. if i really was concerned that the tree might fall while i was in it, i would get a crane and bucket or turn the job down

Raymond

Raymond

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tree MD said he was going to climb it and just piece it out.
I also think that's just what I would do.
No bucket truck, no crane, just climb it and make it a memory.

DONE..NEXT!
TreeGuy.jpg

oldirty

oldirty

Addicted to ArboristSite
No bucket truck, no crane, just climb it and make it a memory.

DONE..NEXT!

no more monkeys or half cat half monkey pics either man! scoobie hit'n the doobie is ok for the odd occasion. and the dancin tree guy too i guess, he's alright.

anyone else think that rot hole is shaped like a heart?

anyway. id go up the right side and lighten it up some. then rig out the left side with plenty of "letr run" keep the mess central and then pull them butts over and then deal with the wood. but thats just me. i like climbing and running the saw.

id say no need to rush the job if you made your bid, right?

have some fun md. tree's like this keep ya interested in the game. thanks for sharing.

are all those trees ice storm hammered? seem like a lot of flat tops in the other tree's.

Raymond

Raymond

Addicted to ArboristSite
no more monkeys or half cat half monkey pics either man! scoobie hit'n the doobie is ok for the odd occasion. and the dancin tree guy too i guess, he's alright.

anyway. id go up the right side and lighten it up some. then rig out the left side with plenty of "letr run" keep the mess central and then pull them butts over and then deal with the wood. but thats just me. i like climbing and running the saw.

have some fun md. tree's like this keep ya interested in the game. thanks for sharing.

are all those trees ice storm hammered? seem like a lot of flat tops in the other tree's.
But I like some of my monkey pics.
01011101020201040220071025722d342e1.jpg

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite

That's pretty much the plan right there. As soon as I get some weight off the tree I'm free and clear I believe. Remember, mother nature already gave this tree a huge crown reduction in the ice storm. Yes, all of the trees in in these pics were severely ice damaged. Not sure about the topped tree in the background because it is actually on a neighboring property and that guy had an illegal from south of the border spike and "trim" his trees. Not sure if the tree was that severely damaged by ice or if the guy just topped it to save time and move on.

I'd like to video this one but some A-hole stole my video camera out of my truck last year. I'll try to get lots of pics.

I'm having to wait on weather to clear to do this one. We've had high winds for several days now and the weather radio is ringing off the wall today with T-storm warnings and tornado watches. We got a storm rolling in with 60 MPH winds now so this one will have to wait for a day or two. I am thinking like the Dan, if the tree can withstand 60 MPH winds I feel a lot better about rigging off of it. It's got plent of good holding wood and should be a piece of cake with a little TLC.

Rickytree

Rickytree

Addicted to ArboristSite
You should have saw the tree I did today! 45 degree lean, root rot with stump heave, crack in the base and 60 feet tall with full canopy( no leaves though) Ya my knee's were knockin!! Then the last tree of the day was a willow beside high tension power and 55 mph winds! I earned my money today. Which wasn't enough.

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tree md,Where are the pics from that bad boy?
We want to know how it worked out for ya.

Dude we have got like 4 inches of rain here in the past 48 hours. Heavy rain predicted for the rest of the week. I am just praying that I'll be able to do my little stump grinding job on Friday. Really sucks!

Anyway, I can't get in there until it dries out a little. No hurry, he is adamant about not wanting to drive in there while it is wet. I'll take some pics and post them as soon as the weather allows me to get in there.

God of ArboristSite
it's stormy season in Tulsa ... winds 35+ mph last few days... rained all day today.

when it rains with the sun shinning... it's tornado weather.

ozzy42

ozzy42

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dude we have got like 4 inches of rain here in the past 48 hours. Heavy rain predicted for the rest of the week. I am just praying that I'll be able to do my little stump grinding job on Friday. Really sucks!

Anyway, I can't get in there until it dries out a little. No hurry, he is adamant about not wanting to drive in there while it is wet. I'll take some pics and post them as soon as the weather allows me to get in there.

Send some of that rain my way.
Not a drop in 12 days.
Can't even wash my truck in the driveway,,,,,water police will get me.

Henry111

Henry111

ArboristSite Lurker
Nothing high enough or big enough. I would like to try to fall the left half of the tree but it is at such a lean I would have to get a huge pull to do so and with that base I don't want to try to pull on it that hard. I'm not even sure that I could pull it over and would have to drop the right half first to do so. If I drop the right half and cant get enough on the left to pull it over I would be screwed because I would have nothing to rig off of safely. I think the best bet is to just lower off the right side and take it in small bites.

yeah :agree2: if you don't have a way to pull it safely, I have taken down a lot of those kinds. as long as your rope lets them run I see no problem. Be safe brother:cheers:

Latest posts