Rock Climbing -> Tree Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buurin

Reaction score
I lost a radio controlled glider in a tree last night... Id say its about 75feet up.

I am a rock climber and have gear for that (harness(not full body), rope(60m), slings, carabiners, prussiks, etc...)

I dont know anything about trees but I can say the tree is 1) alive 2) sturdy enough to hold me and 3) It has A LOT of branches all the way up

I have been told I can essentially lead climb this tree if I girth hitch the limbs near the trunk on the way up and have a belayer on the ground...

My questions are:
1) Is this accepted practice?
2) Any other tips(gear or technique) for ascending a tree with rock climbing gear?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
They way you said should me fine. If you already climb it shouldn't be a problem. I have hurd of people using trees and adding holds to convert to a wall but if you feel you can get up with just natural holds go for it. Wood is softer then rock but set up for links just a foot out on a decent size limb 4"or greater so if you fall you will not slam right into the trunk.

Just once you get to the top have your belayer hold the line and throw the other end over a limb to come down on with an 8 and retrieve your quick draws or what ever you are gonna use.

Accepted practice to lead climb a tree? No, but that's just because working in a tree takes a different technique, lead climbing should work fine to go up and come down.

If the branches get too spindly as you approach the estimated 75' height, girth hitch the trunk instead.

When you get to the glider you will need both hands free, and you will notice a feature of tree climbing you haven't seen with rock, trees move around! Any way you can triangulate yourself into a "work position" as you free the glider will help, even a short triangulation of a few degrees makes a huge difference.

I leave my number at work for after hour cat rescues and got a call once to to retrieve a radio controlled plane. With cats I know what I need: a bag to stuff little Fluffy into, a can of sardines as a lure and if that doesn't work I can get above Fluffy and chase her down.

With the radio controlled plane, I was not prepared for it's size. It was an easy get, but once I got, I was looking at the descent and shouting, "Does this thing come apart?" It did not, so I was looking at bringing a 4' wingspan down 18" gaps. It took longer than I had thought, angling it this way and that down through the tree.

So take a little handsaw up with you and clear out deadwood as you go. It will help as you come down.

Good luck.

RedlineIt

Agree with the above. Should work fine. The important thing when climbing both trees and rock is to make sure you have a good anchor point. The technique you suggest is unconventional, but it's probably better for you to stick with a technique you are comfortable with rather than trying a new technique that is a more common practice in tree climbing. Go for it... slowly!

How tall are these trees?

Thanks for the replies. I am kind of suprised you guys are giving me the go ahead, i expected to be laughed at for not hiring a pro.

I went back for closer inspection of the tree and in my opinion is pretty flimsy. So I've got a modified idea:

I have another climber ready to help me out... I plan on only climbing high enough so that I can knock the plane down with a PVC pipe(like 4x10 foot lenghts = 40 feet)

Carrying it down (9 foot wingpsan) sounds too tricky ... I'm content to just deal with it crashing out of the tree.

I've attached some pics of the tree... Any idea how tall it is? I am a terrible judge of height.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
how tall

Buurin, why don't figure the height of the tree by triangulating? The pictures do little good without some item in the picture of known height (a person?).

You could easily cut a piece of wood or cardboard at a 45 degree angle. Walk away from the tree until your sighting device says the angle from your eye to the tree top is 45 degrees. Your height plus the distance to the tree is the height of the tree.

But why does it matter?

What matters is can you judge the limbs and know what can safely hold you. If you aren't sure about that, then maybe you should get some help.

PVC is really flimsy, I wouldn't even go that direction. Maybe one length, and climb to where you can whack it.

Just climb SRT. No belay man. Use ascenders like normal.

Yeah the PVC did not work very well. I then tried the plastic gutter pipe and it was much sturdier however my plane is still stuck

I also ended up abandoning the belayer and just ascended the rope.

Im about to give up :(

You didn't get it yet? I had a call a few months ago from someone who had a plane (or glider) stuck in a tree at Marymoor Park. Quoted him a bit of a high price, didn't hear back. I'd get it for ya, but I'm kinda busy....

I'm out the door to do bids, might end up in Kirkland, call me on my cell (206) 909 -2644

Doesn't sound easy, though...That looks like a cottonwood or maple, and surely your glider is stuck near branch ends, and they look spindly.....could be hard to dislodge it, being as it is 9 feet wide... it prolly needs to be tugged out with a line...or maybe set on a zip line....

Roger

Last edited:
I ended up hiring a guy to get it... He got it pretty much damage free.

It was quite the performance he put on... He shows up with a parrot that he has me hold while he climbs, knocks the plane out of one tree and into another, then swings via rope to the other tree and brings the plane down in hand. All for $55.

I'm impressed.

I'd be impressed if he could climb with the parrot. :)

I'd a climbed up near it, taken the pole pruner with three 6-foot poles (two preferably), and with the pruner head trim branches, and delicately 'hook' some part of the plane and carefully grip, lift, and float the item hand over hand back to yourself. I don't recommend that method for cats, but inanimate objects, whatever works.

Glad the glider is safe.

Latest posts

Back