Roller guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lollydude

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a remington PL-5 and it has a oregon 72V chain on it 3/8 pitch and it requires a 7/32 file. What roller guide do I use on that thing. I am not sure how you chose the correct roller guide, because I got a 5.5MM roller guide that also has 3/8" on it and it does not fit. I actually states on the box,File 5.5MM :3/8.

Hmmm...it sounds like you have the correct roller guide. 5.5mm is basically equal to 7/32 (minor difference due to rounding). When you say that it doesn't fit, do you mean that the square cutouts in the roller guide will not fit over the drive links? Or, are you having trouble getting the file to mate up with the cutters?

Have you experimented with it some to make sure that you are mounting it on the chain properly? [Not intended as a slam, but if you haven't used a roller guide, they can be a bit confusing at first...]

Yes, the slots will not fit over the chain. I have use one on my huski, and on my homelite and they work fine. I am actually not sure that it is a 72V that is on the remington but I know that is what goes on it and it does have a oregon bar on it and the chain does have a 72 on the drive tooth, but I am not sure it is a oregon 72V. Should that make a difference.

http://www.oregonchain.com/lowkick.htm

Does the chain look like in the link?

The only reason I can think for the guide not fitting is if it is the wrong size for the chain (ie, it isn't the right pitch roller guide) or if it is 72V chain, that it doesn't fit because of the funky raker on the Vanguard chain.

Thats probably your problem then, because the roller guides aren't designed for use on chain with bumper tie straps. They need to have the slots sit down on the standard tie straps to be correctly positioned. I am not aware of a roller guide being produced for use with bumper tie strap 3/8" chain. You may need to look into a file guide like a Granberg File-N-Joint http://www.granberg.com/repair_tools.htm that will work with the bumper tie strap chain, or switch to a different chain without them.

TimberPig said:
Thats probably your problem then, because the roller guides aren't designed for use on chain with bumper tie straps. They need to have the slots sit down on the standard tie straps to be correctly positioned.
Yep...I think TPig hit the nail on the head. Sounds like you need to go with a different filing system (but it might be cheaper just to get a different chain....).

Thanks Guys. I just measured and the pitch on the chain that is on the saw is 3/4" or .375 so this is not a oregon 72V. I guess I will just get a new chain for this old saw; thanks again.

.375 is 3/8" chain. If the pitch (distance between the centers of 3 rivets divided by 2) is 3/4", then that is .750". If it is 3/4" chain, it may be tought to find for a chainsaw, as most chain in this pitch is for harvesters/processors, which is very aggressive and not intended for use on handheld saws. You may have to convert to a different sprocket (and bar if sprocket nose) to convert to a more common pitch if this is the case.

I've never heard of 3/4 chain on a one man saw, what a sprocket it must take for that.

It is kind of like half inch chain, only more rare. It was once used on old gear drives and such, but was never particularly common. I believe some of the hot saw racers run 3/4" harvester chain on some of their bike/snowmobile engine saws.

I am no math wiz but if the distance is 3/4" dont you divide 4 into 3 and get .750 then divide .750 by two and get .375? Or do I have it all wrong.

lollydude said:
I am no math wiz but if the distance is 3/4" dont you divide 4 into 3 and get .750 then divide .750 by two and get .375? Or do I have it all wrong.
You have it right -- if the distance between three rivets is 3/4", then you have a 3/8 pitch chain (i.e., 3/4 = .75/2 = .375 = 3/8").

If the distance between 3 rivits is 3/4", then when you divide by 2 to get the pitch it will equal .375( 3/8"). If it is 3/4" pitch chain, then the distance between 3 rivits will be 2 times the pitch or 2*3/4" = 1.5".
You said the pitch was 3/4" or .375. 3/4" does not equal .375". So I am a bit confused as to whether the pitch is 3/8" or 3/4"? Or is the distance between 3 rivits 3/4" which would be 3/8" pitch chain?

lollydude said:
No it looks more like this one with the bumper tie strap thing on it. http://www.oregonchain.com/faq.htm#chainsize, right above, "How to set my depth gauges?"
That is probably a 72SG chain, then. Probably not a very productive chain, even when sharp.

Do yourself a favor, and change it out with either 72LP or 72LG, provided the bar is .050 gauge!
Cutting will be faster, and you will be able to use the rollerguide. ;)

I have a husky roller guide for a Husky H42 chain type. The thing really does confuse me, i'm much more use to the STIHL guide. Where do you get the angles for the tooth from? Since H42 chains are 25 degrees rather than 30. I've hurd you just line the file up in the middle of the guide and that give you the angle because of the way it sits on the tooth?

TimberPig said:
Yes, thats is basically how the roller guides work.
Yes it is, but ....
.....what I think is their most important function, is to help you hold the file at the correct height, and still letting you see what you are doing.
You will have to watch the angles actively, even though they help a bit in that respect too.

Latest posts

Back