Root Surgery Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Forester

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Today I performed surgical root removal on a 22" honeylocust. The root was about 20 ft. from the trunk and had pushed up a section of sidewalk that was being replaced. After I made the cut a condo board member mentioned that a previous arborist had recommended that plastic be laid down over the root prior to the new concrete being poured. I had never heard of that and was concerned that plastic would greatly reduce 02 levels in the soil and inhibit microbial activity thereby reducing the "healing" of the root. I know that concrete is not exactly great for 02 levels but I saw no real benefit to plastic (to me plastic and roots don't play well together). Anyway on the way back I started thinking abgout possible reasons for plastic over the root. The only thing I could think of is the effect of new, wet concrete (the elements it contains) could have on the fresh cut. Has anyone ever heard of using plastic after root surgery in this situation?

...plastic and roots don't play well together). Anyway on the way back I started thinking abgout possible reasons for plastic over the root. The only thing I could think of is the effect of new, wet concrete (the elements it contains) could have on the fresh cut. Has anyone ever heard of using plastic after root surgery in this situation?
Makes sense to me to keep fresh concrete off the wound. Makes more sense to either use a coarse subbase and elevate the walkway, or cut the root further back if the tree can spare it.

Root barrier not plastic

I beleive the gentleman was referring to the root barriers that are used to keep tree roots from going under walks etc.

...or cut the root further back if the tree can spare it.

This was a weird root it came from well under the sidewalk, almost straight up then split into a V. The split was the point that came in contact with the sidewalk. I cut it below the V, thinking that since the tree was fairly mature and it was 20 ft. or more from the trunk, the chances were slim that it would become large enough (again) to cause trouble. Locust roots can do some pretty strange things though... Thanks for the input guys...

...I cut it below the V, thinking that since the tree was fairly mature and it was 20 ft. or more from the trunk, the chances were slim that it would become large enough (again) to cause trouble. Locust roots can do some pretty strange things though... Thanks for the input guys...
If the root was growing straight up, how could it NOT regrow in the same direction?

Would've been interesting to see where it came from...and cut it back more...much easier to say on computer than do with pick and shovel though. :givebeer:

Steel plates are often used for this--a heckuva lot more barrier.

If the root was growing straight up, how could it NOT regrow in the same direction?

In all honesty, once I saw what I was dealing with I didn't really care if it came back. I figured that since I'm 54 yrs. old, by the time that root grows back (if), I'll be retired or dead, so will the homeowner and the board member, so no one that was around will even remember. ;) I know that might not be the "pure Arborist" thought process, but my back sure thanked me. :laugh:

In all honesty, once I saw what I was dealing with I didn't really care if it came back. I figured that since I'm 54 yrs. old, by the time that root grows back (if), I'll be retired or dead,
Very short work or life expectancy!
so will the homeowner and the board member, so no one that was around will even remember.
Ah but now you are on record, so when that panel causes a tripandfall they can sue your grandkids!

:cry:

Very short work or life expectancy! Ah but now you are on record, so when that panel causes a tripandfall they can sue your grandkids!

:cry:

Oops... :jawdrop: I'll have to come back here and delete my post. Maybe I shouldn't worry though, the way the gov't is spending money and since our kids are going to be stuck w/the bill, our grandkids will be broke too, can't get blood out of a turnip... :hmm3grin2orange: why am I laughing...? Thats not funny...

Latest posts

Back