Rope all twisted after using friction saver....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is this normal? I was using DRT on a Buckingham double steel ring friction saver, and when I came down the rope was all twisted and I had to lay it out and undo the turns. Never had the same problem with a leather cambium saver.

no that is not normal, perhaps itwas set up incorrectly, with the rope not going through the rings straight but backwards on one or both sides... don't know without seeing, but rope should run through straight...

I would say the friction saver had nothing to do with it and it had a lot to do with the prussik straightening out the rope ... yes it does happen especially when the end of the rope is still in a bag or something and some-one coiled it up then shoved it in the bag.

Best bet is to just put it in the bag dont wind or coil it.

Have you also heard about milking the rope?

Do that from time to time to.

It was in a bag, but it was flaked in, not coiled. No idea what milking a rope is. Funny that it never happened on a crotch or leather saver.

DeanBrown3D said:
Is this normal? I was using DRT on a Buckingham double steel ring friction saver, and when I came down the rope was all twisted and I had to lay it out and undo the turns. Never had the same problem with a leather cambium saver.
completly normal what type of rope was it?

DeanBrown3D said:
It was in a bag, but it was flaked in, not coiled. No idea what milking a rope is. Funny that it never happened on a crotch or leather saver.

Could it be a matter of sequence? That the steel ring friction saver was used "After" the leather?

I found that if my ropes dont hang free (if a few feet are left looped on the ground at my highest elevation) and if I am not careful to untwist my ropes after each climb the hockles build up until I am finally forced to attend to them. Twists seem to slowly develop in the rope through successive climbs until I finally have to deal with them.

Back