rope bridge on Weaver Cougar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am kind of beating this topic to death, but....

Of the liger mods I have seen, everyone (including me) has run the biggest hole forward as a connection point.

If a person did not care about having an extra large hole on their rope bridge connection plate (like the ergo, for example), I think it might make more sense to reverse the plate and put both the upper and leg straps through the big hole (which would then be toward the back/outside).

This is how all stock saddle plates I have seen are. Again, look at the buckinghams.

It would help the one very minor issue my liger setup has, which is the rope kind of pulls the plate "inside out" because the rope bridge hole is further to the outside than the connecting straps holes.

No biggie, but kind of inelegant. I think reversing the plate orientation would have the rope pulling from inside the connection strap so the plate would not flip over....

Anyone tried this orientation with the straps both through the biggest hole in the plate?

Last edited:
I just replaced my rope bridge on my new Cougar saddle. The inner rope is orange as per Weaver's recommendation. Is this right and should I replace it in 6 months or just use a favorite, tried and true rope or what? I don't have the knowledge to decide which is the right choice.

cougar rope bridge swap

I just replaced my rope bridge on my new Cougar saddle. The inner rope is orange as per Weaver's recommendation. Is this right and should I replace it in 6 months or just use a favorite, tried and true rope or what? I don't have the knowledge to decide which is the right choice.

I have been riding this "doubled" setup for a while now and really like it. Its 2 lengths of Tachyon double fisherman to each other through the stock "stamped" rings. The primary load is carried by the short length on the ISC pulley and is backed unloaded by the longer length on a swivel. Slightly longer than the sketchy stock bridge. Provides alot more articulation for work positioning and I am alot more confident in the saddle. I just can't handle second guessing my equipment, so this works for me.

*PS I am not condoning mods to safety equipment BTW*

View attachment 281664

Let us know how u liked it. I ligered my puma but it felt like it made the leg straps ride higher. I never really spent any time in but I was unsure of comfort so I took it off and just tied to the rings. Been planning on trying it out just haven't taken the time to set it up again.

Well, I used the Liger all week. I need to adjust the straps on the belt a little snugger. The roll stitching may impede that some so I may need to do a little stitching work there. But I Really like the extra length of the bridge.
I'm not the most graceful climber anyone has ever seen, unless I'm the first climber they've seen :msp_smile:
But I do feel good and secure. I can see and inspect the entire bridge system easily.

The op's question needs further input....
Don't "tie in" to your side D rings..
What harness is he using?
Maybe I missed something...
But there should be another tie in option, if not a rope bridge then perhaps floating double D's or?
Side D's are only for lanyards, fliplines.

Tramp did that throw off the center of gravity? I'm thinking that extra hole could be a good spot for a figure 8 and out of the way of your hitch.

Tramp did that throw off the center of gravity? I'm thinking that extra hole could be a good spot for a figure 8 and out of the way of your hitch.

It definitely changed the center of gravity. Less tension around the waist as its adjusted right now. I've been planning on trying an 8 in the upper hole.
I'm going to adjust the roll stitching on the waist adjustment straps. But withoutthe extension straps of the factory bridge rings it may be inevitable.
I actually like that the leg straps rotate some to the outside. . Its more comfortable for me.

Tramp, I was wondering about your stopper knot? I don't know what is recommended for your bridge. Below is a photo of other knot recommendations. Excuse me if this does not apply to your case, I don't own what you have.

attachment.php

View attachment 304532

OK Smoke ; I'll check into that knot. The reccomended one. It's not readily apparent how to tie it. The stopper knot has been working this past week but I was going to put a few stitches in it just for added security.

Thank you for the heads up. I'll see if I can find a yt vids of it.

OK Smoke ; I'll check into that knot. The reccomended one. It's not readily apparent how to tie it. The stopper knot has been working this past week but I was going to put a few stitches in it just for added security.

Thank you for the heads up. I'll see if I can find a yt vids of it.

Just an observation on my part since I don't own one. The photo I attached is a regular double overhand stopper used for another brand of harness, the knot you have is just one small step from the double overhand. I did a vid on stopper knots used for the hitch hiker that may be interesting (or not) to you. see Hitch Hiker Stopper Knot vs. Stevedore Stopper Knot in my signature.
The thing about the stitching is that you can't take it out in a climb say you wanted to change the ring for a swivel etc.
Anyways,
cheers

Last edited:
Back