Rope pulling training?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats with these boyz calling men girls? Over a thousand miles
away pretty lame in my book. Get a pop knot around here for
those sort of things:laugh:
pop knots round these parts are made with 13 rings and a twist:jawdrop:

rope pulling or rope puller

Maasdam rope puller can pull much more than several guys and only takes one to operate it.

Provided that you have a good anchor, be it the truck or otherwise, it is more predictable than petroleum power lean re-direction (pulling with the truck) and you don't need a driving path.

Crank the handle smoothly to reduct the sway. It won't be as fast as pulling with the truck if you need to move something fast to swing it, so its not a replacement for the truck, but an addition to it.

Whoever is paying the damage bills and insurance has the say. If the guy isn't willing to do what you need him to do, maybe he isn't the guy for the job. I test pull before cutting to see what kind of power the puller(s) are generating.

Also, the more horizontal the rope angle the better. People don't always want to walk to the end of the rope (making the rope closer to horizontal), but it increasing pulling power.

There WERE other mitigating factors here... but nothing that a truck couldn't have taken care of.

1) Not much hinge wood.
2) Back lean
3) Side lean - this concerned me the most.
4) Another pine to get around.

A truck would have pulled it right in there.

I'm not gonna argue that this wasn't my fault... because as they say "The buck stops here" and anything that happens on my watch is my fault whether I was using the saw, or pulling the rope, or doing nothing.

As for my guy... he doesn't care, and he did get paid for the day. In all honesty I should really just get rid of him. I don't know why I haven't already??? guy hit me 2 times last year (once in the head with a piece of brush which wasn't allowed to run, and shock loaded another piece.. I thought I broke a rib.). This year he gave me other troubles... the house yesterday, and then almost hit me a few months ago on another job with a top.

This was posted by treeman 82 11/11/07
I had a big piece that I was gonna blow out of this maple, but to get it where the guy running the show wanted it to go, it had to get past some limbs on a BIG hickory. So I put a rope in, not very high, but it should have been enough to get a little bit more power behind it coming down. Well I start cutting, and 3 guys are standing there "pulling". The piece starts to go a little bit, and I guess I cut a bit too far, plus they weren't pulling enough, if at all... so it kicked off the tree and came down butt heavy due to the hickory branches. When the top came down it came back towards me.

Look at number 4.
IMO the same thing keeps happening and it is not the groundies fault. And if it keeps happening we will be one climber less.

This was posted by treeman 82 11/11/07
I had a big piece that I was gonna blow out of this maple, but to get it where the guy running the show wanted it to go, it had to get past some limbs on a BIG hickory. So I put a rope in, not very high, but it should have been enough to get a little bit more power behind it coming down. Well I start cutting, and 3 guys are standing there "pulling". The piece starts to go a little bit, and I guess I cut a bit too far, plus they weren't pulling enough, if at all... so it kicked off the tree and came down butt heavy due to the hickory branches. When the top came down it came back towards me.

Look at number 4.
IMO the same thing keeps happening and it is not the groundies fault. And if it keeps happening we will be one climber less.

Most that have spent many years in trees have had this happen!
If we lived we learned,I have had one do exactly the same but
did see it coming and was able to dodge the bullet!

Look at number 4.
that's what I've been saying, if there is an object in the way, a rope isn't going to get the tree or top through that object.

No offense to treeman 82 but going by his recent posts he sounds like an inexperienced young guy who likes to take short cuts and passes the buck when it' doesn't go right.

plain and simple, if you need to "GET AROUND SOMETHING" then a rope isn't the answer.

Most that have spent many years in trees have had this happen!
If we lived we learned,I have had one do exactly the same but
did see it coming and was able to dodge the bullet!
like rope i have spent many yrs in the tree. i read em like a book. iv dodged many bullets in my day but as i get older its been a cease fire for the most part.if this kind of crap is happening to you use your brain!! get up in it get out on it and do what it takes to keep you from dodging bullets!!!! you playing rullet is gona get ya!!! ill take em as big as i can and fit em where i can git em, but sometimes small is all i can take to make it safe. ill cut tree in half or handle pieces from the top. i will not play rullet. rullet is not crazy its just plain stupid!! there is a big difference.

It could of been a number of things. Was the notch deep enough to allow enough length on the hinge, maybe he should of cut it lower on the stump to acomplish this. If it had back and side lean the hinge length should of been higher than the 80%/dia even closer to 100% Cutting lower on the stump allows this without cutting the notch depth deeper than 1/3 the dia. because of the butt swell. This is more important than the over all thickness of the hinge although it should still be in the 10% range. When the tree starts lifting most of the hinge thickness breaks off, only a small (maybe a 1/4") portion stays intact. The open face notch should have been used to allow the tree longer control to the ground not a thicker hinge.

Back