Rope question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came across an old picture, similar to Phattyphat's glowing , red-hot meat cleaver. This is a different sort of meat cleaver, and old Silky blade that I never threw away.

fatty- your rope ends show what skwerl was talking about. Tape first, then melt. Your rope ends will be even CLEANER!

Don't settle for "good enough."

love
nick

Beweller said:
Has anyone tried shrink tube as a rope end treatment?

Hey Bert,
I've used shrink tube to cover and protect splices but it didn't hold up all that great. IMO it was pretty much a waste of time for a work rope. Even on lifelines it seemed to stretch and loosen up after a month or two. Then it would slide up the rope and get in my way until I'd cut it off.

I whip the ends on all my ropes and snug it up by pulling on both the ends of the whiping cord with two of plyers. I'll finish it by tieing an an over-hand knot with the wipping cord ends as close as I can to the whipping . This ensures it stays tight and if the over hand knot makes its way under the whipping...I'll be able to feel its location under the whipping and know how its holding up. Over kill...maybe but I feel better doing it that way. If I am cutting a length of rope from a spool, I'll whip the two areas very close to each other before I cut & melt...no need for tap at all with this method! ***While on the topic, can anyone tell me what liquid is used to dip the whipped ends into and why its done? I use to know but since forgot. Thanks. HC

Last edited:
The orange rope appears to be Walls Super Braid, a nonsplicable double braid with a very tight cover.

In my experiance I do not like that line. For a test I tied a peice of Safety Pro (12 strand mid 6k mbs) to a piece of 1/2 Super Braid (8.9kmbs I believe) using 2 bowlines with interlocking loops.

Out of ten test I believe the Super Braid broke at the bowline 8 times, Saftey pro 2. When a bowline broke I reused the other non broken bowline. I directly attibute this to the stiff cover not being able to bend well enough to retain what I consider a reasonable amount of strength.

Sherrill sells a coating specially for dipping I believe, however, I perfer simply cutting the ends, melting the tip, then with a gloved hand mashing it together. I do tape it first, leaves cleaner results.

Here is a picture of Stable Braid by Samson in 1/2" rated to 10.4k that put an eye splice in.

.jpg

Hey Beweller, Welcome to the site.

I've never used shrink tubing on a rope end. I have over splices, and had the same results as skwerl.

Shame on us for the poor manners...Welcome to AS.com Beweller. This is a very informative forum & I (we) hope you stick around and post often. Its all about sharing information to become better at what we do. :) Enjoy! HC

shrink tube plus

I tried the shrink tube--seemed a little wimpy. I have now tried "priming" the rope end with Pliobond, then applying two layers of shrink tube. Now to see how it stands up.

It's probably not worth the effort, except that I have the shrink tube.

Bert

Whip It!

Do it the best possible way. Like everyone says that wipping it will last the longest. In your case you only have one rope and you need it to last you. So Ill show you my way of "whippin' it"
Pic 1: I tied a slipknot so the core doesnt move. Then I cut the rope by heating old handsaw blade until rosy red, then put the rope on it and moved it back and forth until completly burnt through.
Pic 2:I got about 1' (2' is better) of whipping twine (little strands from rope, 100lb fishing test non plastic, anything really 1/16") then tied it to strong sewing needle. Then at other end tie two knots so it stops when you pull it through. And I go about 1" down from the cut and put needle inbetween the braids and come out on other side inbetween braids.
Pic 3: Start wrapping the twine around the rope tightly about 10 times or until you reach about a 1/2".
Pic 4: Take needle and stick it through to the other side at end of wraps. Then bring back to the start of wraps and go through and repeat until you have four stitches across the wraps. I hope the pic explains it better than I am!
Pic 5: Heres the finished product with the end of the twine still there. All you do with that is tie a knot as close to the rope as possible, cut the extra twine off. And burn the knot down until its close to the rope.

Thanks
I try to post in an educational manner.:laugh: Hopefully titan will take the 5-10min. that it takes to do it.

Back