Roper 3.7 tear down and rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad to see it grenaded on you. I tend to use threadlocker blue on these, it seems I use it more and more on automotive stuff as well like flywheel bolts, setscrews on shift forks etc. Threadlocker red is a bit too stiff, you have to heat that to get it to come loose.

Just sad to see that degree of carnage. The rest of the parts are worth something on fleabay if you go that route, or decide to search for parts to fix it once again.

Yeah--The bearing cap came loose, needles got out and wrecked everything. Not sure if the needles didn't sit right & allowed the whole works to shift, which loosened the screws, or if I didn't notice that the screws were worn when I reassembled. Chicken and egg kinda deal.

In any case, it's all toast. In any case, I figure I've worked on 50 or 60 saws, and this is the first one I've roasted. Not too bad. And considering I bought the saw for $10, and put $10 bearing and $10 carb kit in it, I'm not too deep into a failure. ;-)
may be able to help if you want it. probly took a few small parts off. pulls through, doesn't feel bad. ive got two others. yours for postage.3.7 parts 003.JPG 3.7 parts 002.jpg

Pretty sure I put photos and details in an earlier post as well as source from "The Greek" via ebay

Just wanted to thank everyone here. This site is just a wealth of info on getting my old 353750 running again after resting in the barn for 33+ years (with gas in it). I bought it new in July 1977. Used it heavily for 5 or 6 years. Great saw in it's day for me.
Just need to fashion a new air filter. Thanks again for sharing your experiences and fixes.

They are good saws and well worth keeping alive. You can likely glue a thin piece of felt around the perimeter of the old filter and drive on.

Pretty sweet. Sounds better than my fabric remnants. Site now shows one bought in last hour..........bet that was Pa.coal Dave.........:happy:

That was just too easy:clap:Opihi59. This morning when I drug that thing down from the barn and brushed 30 years of dust off of it, I'd bet $50 it will never run again let alone finding a forum on the web loaded with valuable information. AND AN AIR FILTER! WOW!
Dang......and I had the wife convinced I'd probably have to buy a new Husky.

You can still get a husky. I never take only one saw to a job anymore. I take 3 or 4 so they can all get a chance to play, and I have a backup if I yank off the starter cord on one, or run into a piece of metal or a rock and booger up the chain. Always good to have a backup. Of course, I'd recommend getting an older model someone else has had sitting in their barn for a few decades as well. In general, consumer level saws just aren't all that satisfying anymore when you have a dozen vintage saws. So go ahead and start looking for a husky, or Stihl, or Mac to round out the collection. Or of course another Roper or 3.

Backup:
7f1acd3db1b8d3b61db2ab65758429c7.jpg

The above varies month to month but you get the idea.

Dang, I thought I had my Roper in there.

You can still get a husky. I never take only one saw to a job anymore. I take 3 or 4 so they can all get a chance to play, and I have a backup if I yank off the starter cord on one, or run into a piece of metal or a rock and booger up the chain. Always good to have a backup. Of course, I'd recommend getting an older model someone else has had sitting in their barn for a few decades as well. In general, consumer level saws just aren't all that satisfying anymore when you have a dozen vintage saws. So go ahead and start looking for a husky, or Stihl, or Mac to round out the collection. Or of course another Roper or 3.

I can only imagine what today's home owner saws feel like as compared to the old Sears/Roper. I remember well that thing with a 20" bar and full chisel chain just pulling itself down through a big old oak or cherry log and all I did was keep the throttle mashed and let her hog it's way down through.
That was yester-year. Gees I have to stand on the thing to pull it over now and the compression release is working. Just too much for the old man anymore. At least it gave me great satisfaction to know it still runs like a beast again after all those idle years. Thanks again to everyone in this thread for sharing all their wisdom and knowledge in reviving catalog number 917.353750.
Dave

Latest posts

Back