Roper 3.7 tear down and rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some time for it a few days ago. Had a XL12 piston brand new that seemed a perfect match. I have everything back together now, tried to start but she wouldn't pop. Was getting late so I stopped working. I have tomorrow off work, so I plan to get her running. Thanks again for the plethora of parts. They've been needed!

--JC

She runs! I got freaked out at first because it was throttled WAY up--I suspected a big air leak. But I'd already pressure & vac tested? As I was taking carb off again, I heard a small rattle. Lo and behold, a small screw sitting inside the reed cage! It was the throttle plate screw! If this had been a piston-ported saw, that screw likely would have nuked it.

Anyway... Who knows how many drive links of .325 it takes for the original 18" banana bar?

I'd go count chain, but I convert all mine to 20" 3/8 chain/bar now, using a 3/8 rim sprocket from Huskvarna. I think I have the info buried somewhere back in an earlier post.

The one I have still has the original bar, so I think it would be cool to use that one (helps that it's the only extra bar I have, too). ;)

I don't remember if it already had a chain on it when I got it or not... I'm thinking it was so rusted it was a goner. (Maybe I should have sent it to Philbert?)

In any case, the bar appears to be .050. The only other .325 pitch chain I have is on my 028S, but it's.063, so I can't even get it in the bar to make a guesstimate on how many DL the roper originally took. :(

I did get the check valve, I think 3 of them, I have not had a pressing need to work on the saws lately as other projects are consuming me, but at some point I'll give one a try and see if it will work. I know it seems like it would just take a minute to do, I just haven't done it what with building a motor bike from scratch, remodeling the laundry, utility bathroom and man cave so I just have my energies directed elsewhere. I will of course post in the results.

I ended up covering the old air filter with a piece of shop vac filter. Don't know how long that will last but it works better than nothing.
Got the Husqvarna (445) but it doesn't hold a candle to the old Roper today.

Attachments

• 2017-01-26 11.26.35.jpg
    2017-01-26 11.26.35.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Would have been nice, we dont have our parents forever. Mom pasted two years ago on New Year's Eve and now it's just dad. He's 81 and me and my brother will do just about anything he wants done.

Steve

John Graig I got one of those bars and chain hanging in the barn, will count after daylight never used it change everything to 3/8 looks to brand new . saw is great just have no use for .325 stuff

Any follow up on the duckbill ? I'm looking for one that allows air into fuel tank, just above flywheel, ahead of Air intake. It's a 1/16 npt. Any new oem, or used valves are prolly going to be hardened with age, rendering them useless. They were made of Buna, I believe. Silicone would be mucho gooder. Plus, that oem set-up should have been engineered with some sorta filter.

Latest posts

Back