Roper 3.7 tear down and rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took one of my Ropers, identical to the one in this thread, and put the HS79 carb on it today. That carb is the dual adjustable carb, thankfully when I got this one it also had the 2-hole grommet with it. I already installed the dual adjustable carb on the orig Roper featured in this thread, but didn't have one on the saw I just converted over to the 3/8 drive and bar/chain combo. Adjusted it up and it runs fine. Since I won't likely be using this saw for a few weeks, I dumped out the gas and found all of these case-sealant worms in it.

DSCN8564_zps34252d6b.jpg

This stuff seems to separate away from inside the tank where it is soaked with gas. The part of it that is gummed between the case halfs doesn't seem to be deteriorating, but the "drool" that sits inside the tank seems to peel off with exposure to gas over a time. None of my tanks I have sealed with this stuff have leaked though.

This stuff:

DSCN8097.jpg

Anyone else had this stuff strip away and turn into tank worms?

Silicone sealants

This stuff seems to separate away from inside the tank where it is soaked with gas. The part of it that is gummed between the case halfs doesn't seem to be deteriorating, but the "drool" that sits inside the tank seems to peel off with exposure to gas over a time. None of my tanks I have sealed with this stuff have leaked though.

Anyone else had this stuff strip away and turn into tank worms?

Yes, as those silicone sealers are not very resistant to liquid gasoline or alcohol, and the excess inside will
split away. I don't care what they write on their labels/instructions, or say in their marketing blings.
Same thing goes for Dirko (silicone), which is recommended for Stihl's clamshell types. They seem to hold up OK for
gas vapors & oils, but the real plus is that they are heat resistant. I'll probably get flamed for this, but the
Hylomar Universal Blue is the best I've found for gas tank seams that don't use a gasket.

What allows them work is that the sealer is trapped or captured between two flat pieces of materal that are
resistant to gas. Homelite also used silicone sealers, like the Permatex Ultra Black, in their small clamshells
and I've taken apart probably 40 to 50 without ever finding a sealing problem (when applied correctly). If the
surface is oily or you use too much, then the bead that was squeezed out on the inside makes a quick trip to the
muffler screen! Your tank should be sealed up fine, if you don't try to pull out a piece from the inside. Make sure
your gas tank vent is free to flow both ways, if you can, as you have some wicked sunrays on the island that can
build up a lot of vapor pressure in the tank.

You could always throw a handful of 1/4" washers in the tank with some gas, and slosh it around if you wan't to
get the remainder out.

There's a couple of those 3.7's on the St. Louis CL. Seller's asking $140 for the pair. New b/c on one of them.

great 3.7 thread!

Thread revival = I just acquired a 'low hrs/high years' Craftsman 3.7/18 (model 917353762) saw that has been stored in a house basement for 12 years. It's all there and I got it running, somewhat, after only purging the 'gas tar crap' out of the fuel tank, carb and changing the fuel filter, and many small prime shots of fuel mix into the carb intake. But it will need some TLC. The carb diaphrams are almost solid so I've got Tillotson HS carb kits ordered for it and my Stihl 041FB (same Tillotson HS kit). I'll know more after getting the carb done first but I think this will be a great little saw with no big $ needed to get it right. The cylinder bore and piston are baby-butt smooth and compression is 165. It leaks fuel between the case halves but I'll carve a gasket for that when I get started on the internals inspection. I'm glad I found this thread because the info will likely save me a ton of time.
I'm retired from logging/mechanic work but I help a local saw/mower/auto parts dealer repairing hand held power equipment in the busy summer months. This season is just about over so I'll soon have some time to spend with the new additions to my saw family. I really like the rugged build of this 3.7 and I always liked running a low RPM/high torque saw when I was cutting timber years ago.
I'll start my own thread when I get started on my rebuild but I just wanted to thank you, and all the participants of this thread for the great info.
And, Opihi59, I certainly "Thank You" for your military service over seas so that we can continue to be free to live for our hearts desire ... my case being - you guessed it..., building saws LOL!!!
Mike

My 2nd Roper joined the pile.

attachment.php

attachment.php

He was part of a two saw deal. Just needed a good cleaning and fresh fuel.

Craigslist here he comes.....................................................................

Attachments

• IMG_0224 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_0224 (Copy).jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0223 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_0223 (Copy).jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 164
Well fellow sawdust flingers and chip throwers, it's been a while since I put anything into the thread, but I've seen a lot of forum traffic regarding this genre of saw in my lurking--the venerable Roper 3.7 I've used a ton of saws out of my pile, but I keep coming back to the 3.7. It has an excellent balance with a 20" bar pulling 3/8" pitch, it has enormous power, and it just has a unique sound thru big wood 4 strokin' at WOT. I imagine folks have read thru my Stihl tophandle thread, and the MS660 etc, but I keep coming back to the Ropers. I have 3 of these here, all screaming and throwing chips, and a 4th sent to my son in WA state so he can get firewood and spread the virtues of this saw.
I did some cutting this past week for a buddy, since I have now retired after 38 years Active Army federal service including 4 combat tours, so I find time to help out my buddies with vertical trees who desire them horizontal. Loan of a chainsaw from me includes me, saws, and a truck that is as equally and gloriously spavined as I am. 86 Toyota 4 X 4, approaching 200K miles, never lets me down. So I brought down a Lychee tree, these can be pretty big with many accessory trunks and are always packed in closely to several homes that generally look to be tear-downs though with high occupancy levels. Lychee bear a very unique fruit that is killer when you can get it, but this tree has never produced while the adjacent buddy tree put out choke Lychee. Barren tree is coming down to make room for Mango, or Avocado, or bananas. Came down I should say, as it is now in smaller sizes in my back yard and I'm using appropriate sized chunks for smoking meat that I don't want to be overpowered by Keawe smoke. Lotta smoking of large slabs of dead animals here lately. Axis Deer, Briskit, Salmon I caught in AK, whole chickens, Taco/He'eh/Octopus, Turkey, feral pig, maybe some roadkill mongoose.

So what does this all have to do with the Roper story? Eh? If you're Canadian, "what's this all aboot now? My bar/chain oiler wasn't working right on my primary 3.7, so I had to set it aside and use the husqvarna closed port 55 Rancher, and the Stihl tophandle 015L. The little Stihl decided to show me that gas was mixing across the fuel reservoir into the bar lube reservoir and vice versa, so that little saw had to get put aside as well as it quit running trying to combust bar lube instead of 2-stroke mix oil, and I don't think the gas/mix thinned bar lube was quite doing the trick either. That saw has now been torn apart once again and I laid Yamabond on both sides of the gasket and put it back together to cure a few days before a test run.

My Roper oiler quit oiling though, and that is disturbing as it has both an automatic adjustable volume, as well as a manual function for supplementation of volume. There are 3 copper fittings/3 copper lines associated with this Roper 3.7 oiling system, and it is a bit complicated. I've read a ton of other threads with some of our forum's finest offering help on this topic, and hopefully they'll pitch in on mine. I'll just throw in my theory and a ton of photos. How's that?

You're looking from the right side of the saw, under the airbox. You can see one copper line, between bottom of the oil reservoir, up to the air box, and it goes to the valve you'll see in the next photo. As you depress the throttle trigger, it simultaneously opens this valve, and in what I can figure out it allows case pulse pressure to provide some pressurization of the oil tank thru a separate copper tube; valve shown here now inside the air box, connected with the trigger.

Valve in the lower left corner, inside the airbox.

This shot below is the opposite side of the assembly as I showed in the first photo in this post. You can see the valve in the box, though disconnected, (wait, it's not really there, just hallucinate it as I don't have a better photo loaded) and can see the round black knurled increase or decrease twist knob for oil flow, and the mostly square (Okay, it's a rhomboid, maybe better to just say it is a truncated triangle) black thumb press button that I love so much to squoosh out extra oil as I need it, and of course, I suppose I do over oil.

This saw though was getting no oil either auto or manual, and it wasn't from clogs in the pipes or problems with the bar and bar mount cover as I can tell.

So here is the pulse line below, it goes into the middle nipple in the oil tank.

And the oil feed line itself is here, the portion visible is going under the pulse line, and continuing forward in the case and pops out on the right side of the saw.

Oil feed line visible here on right side of saw where it pops out from the opposite side of the case, just behind and slightly above the rear most bar mount bolt. No hallucination required.

So when you remove the oil pump itself, it looks like this one in the top part of the photo, one from another of my 3.7s.

The bottom portion/cap twists off, does not unscrew, and reveals a return spring for the plunger, and a small flanged duckbill check valve.

So as it turns out, my duckbill check valve no longer checks, and I'm getting no lube to my bar/chain. Does anyone perhaps have knowledge of a source for a substitute flanged duckbill checkvalve? That cap on the bottom of the pump merely presses/taps back into place, and the pump unit can then be screwed back into its position. I'd appreciate if anyone has some input on this. While I can swap my one working pump back and forth between these 2 saws, I'd really rather have the both of them fully working as these are the ones I rely on the most. Maybe my benefactors Roanoker494, 67L36Driver, Hotshot, etc will come to my rescue once again.

Aloha! The classic Roper thread unburies itself again.

What's the base flange diameter on that duckbill?

Due to flowing bar oil, that's going to be much larger that a standard Poulan vent valve. Probably need to start looking at an aftermarket aquarium or water check application, or maybe a spring & ball type check.

Cruise Fleabay for "sankey kegerator beer valve". Same seller has a black one for the tap valve that looks smaller if that's too big. This may be the first case where chainsaws and cold beer do mix. :cheers:

Kegerator Disp Check.jpg

I was cutting with a blue & white Roper 3.7 back in May and thought about this excellent old thread...

EDIT: I got the dimensions for the black kegerator Fleabay duckbill above, and it's too large. 11/16" (.688") diameter on the collar, 3/8" (.375") on the stem diameter, and 5/8" overall length. ..

That little flange mics out at 0.325 " and it is 0.345" tall. Immediately above the base this wee elusive little obsolete piece of rubber is 0.163" diameter. The flange is 0.036" thick. I do suppose that I will have to poke around and look in my son's aquarium supply drawer to see if he has any of those anti-refluxing doohickeys you put in the air line so it doesn't siphon water back out in case someone shuts off the earth's gravitational field. There could also be a range of sizes that I could get away with here too come to think of it; it's not like I need a 5 antigen match for a liver transplant.
And thinking of Kegerator, I just scavenged a water cooler and stripped it for the cooling system so I can homebrew in a cool water bath. It's real hard to maintain a good fermentation temperature out here and we don't happen to Air Condition our house. I'll be putting on a brew this weekend.
I will Cruise Fleabay and see what is there under the beer valve suggestion. Maybe now that I have posted out some dimensions it may prompt some more responses. Thanks for reading thru all my drivel and giving me suggestions. :bowdown: These Ropers are really awesome saws. If the house caught fire I'd grab that one over the others.

Google "Taprite #70501" for the smaller pony keg dispenser tap.

That may be a direct fit, but you'd need to get dimensions from a distributor or sales office.

BTW, those reconstituted surgery towels make a great back drop for the photos.

This is my 3.7
WIN_20150902_090545.JPG
My brother- in- law picked this up from a guy who was throwing it away. He gave it to me last year. Got it running after a few pulls and left it at that. Finally got around to looking at it again and found a fuel leak at the front of the tank/saw. Got it all tore down, except for clutch, I can't budge that thing. Busted the head off a screw under the flywheel. Don't now what I'm gonna do about that. Need to order carb kit and get some gasket material and a new fuel line and put her back together. When I started it last year I thought the oiled wasn't working, but after looking at it today, it does work.:dancing:. happy to find this thread last night. Its nice to tear down a saw and know ahead of time what your looking at. Someone did put a trigger unit in the saw though. I don't know why the guy was going to trash it.

BTW does anyone know which repair kit I would need for a Tilly HS161a?

Give this a shot, Google is your friend: http://www.tillotson.ie/products-parts.php It will tell you for that carb you will need D5-HS/T for the full Diaphragm and Gasket kit, or RK23HS for just the gaskets. Most likely you need the DG kit. Good luck.

Google "Taprite #70501" for the smaller pony keg dispenser tap.

That may be a direct fit, but you'd need to get dimensions from a distributor or sales office.

BTW, those reconstituted surgery towels make a great back drop for the photos.

Hotshot--As a Surgeon, I have an endless supply.........In June though, I retired, and am not sure if I'm going back to work or not, time will tell. Maybe if my collection starts running down, I may just have to get back to work. They are awesome shop towels, and I do like using them as back drops for my photos I post up.
As far as the duck valve goes, I have not done anything in regards to replacing it yet. Retirement got in the way, then finishing the kitchen remodel, then various major repairs on multiple aging vehicles including yanking 2 engines, and now flat-bedding my 30 yr old Toyota 4X have got in the way of working on my saw pile. I'll get to it, and will of course post up a solution for the forum.

Alan, thanks for the information. I have converted most of my Roper 3.7s to 3/8 now, since I found the sprocket off my Huskvarna 55 fits right on the splines of my 3.7 saws. Then I put on an Oregon 200PXDD176 with a 72GX070G chain 3/8 pitch, 0.050 gauge, 70 drive links. This saw has abundant power to pull that 20" bar, and it has given me no issues. I've been totally away from the forum I'm afraid, and have likely missed much. Hope all is been going very well for all my buddies on this forum. I do believe that is everyone by the way.
Still have made no progress on duck bill valve issue as above, I found the anti-reflux valves for aquarium air bubbler hoses is way too big, so my favorite go-to saw featured in this thread is gathering dust.

bdb00eb939b9346e4e18b664ca427bb8.jpg

Just picked this up a few days ago, all original, bar and I believe the chain is too. Had no spark til I cleaned the points, problem is the fuel tank is pouring gas out as fast as you can pour it in, leaking at bottom rear near handle. How hard to tear down to split the case, never worked on a saw of this vintage or brand.

Steve

Not overwhelmingly difficult. Start on page one, I give a blow-by-blow on the experience. The tank is enclosed in the case halves, it is not a separate plastic piece so you need to get some Yamabond/Hondabond/threebond to seal it back together. If the screws do not come out easily in separating the case halves, heat them up like with a torch, hot gun etc but make sure you've evacuated any fuel/fumes etc.
And if you get frustrated in trying to do this, put it in a box, send me a PM and I'll give you my mailing address. Very nice "sleeper" saw you have there. It's worth bringing back to life.

You sound like ya did when we where working on those top handle 2.3 Craftmans a few years back. I'll keep this on too. I've worked on a good many saws with real crank cases but none with the motor is not part of the case, ( crank case/cylinder assembly). I use GM gray sealant on my cases, haven't had any problem with the stuff. Just a pain to take back apart after fully curing out. Good to see you're still around.

Steve

Back