Rotary small diameter log processor.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadeclinton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was sent a video of a small diameter log processor via Facebook. I'm tempted to call BS on it but thought I'd ask around here. I searched and didn't find it sorry if it's a repeat. From what my father in law and I can tell it looks to be a 5HP or larger electric motor, 4" or so drive pulley, 12" or so driven pulley and the upper shaft looks to be 2" based on the bearing that can be seen. And most likely uses a knife of set of timed knives to actually cut the material. I'm curious if this type of machine is real or not, and if so is it practical for use on olive wood? My father in law has an orchard and has quite a bit of limb wood from pruning that we've devised no real fast practical way to make it useable.

Link to video, hopefully it works doing this from tapatalk.

https://www.facebook.com/clint.wade.16/posts/10205453905252186

Can't access the page the link is for.

Mr. HE:cool:

I worked at a log home place after college and the boss had built a log lathe. It was capable of turning a log to 14" finished diameter 42' long. It had a planer head that would travel down the log and get it to rough diameter, then another planer head that would travel down the log to turn it to finish diameter. The log would spin on a live head and a dead spindle on the other end. It was pretty cool. Made a lot of wood chips, but Doug fir wood chips smelled great!

Trying again from home. The link should take you to the video's OP face book page. Should be public.....

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="">Post</a> by ‎<a href="https://www.facebook.com/computer.problem1">كیشةی كۆمپیوتةر</a>‎.</div></div>

Wow that is really pretty cool. I was envisioning a type of lathe for turning small diameter wood, not a chopper type. Maybe I had been into the beer and that's what my brain was thinking of....

Can you post a link to the page that shows how this machine was made?

That's just it. I don't know where the machine originated. This video came my way and I thought the knowledge base here may have seen this before or could determine what this machine is or how this machine was made. Is it possible this machine is an adapted hammer mill. See link for a possible match?

http://www.feedmachinery.com/glossary/images/hammermill_1.jpg

i believe its European, they have very different ways of processing firewood. that video seems oddly familiar.

There is simply two cylinders with sharp blades down the length spaced at the intervals that correspond with the length you want. The cylinders are geared to each other and the blade ends almost touch. Wood size is very important to this size machine. If you notice the wood is mostly straight without many small branches. Just wrist size sticks. The don't have any feed mechanism(nor do you want one or it could compete with the blades and break them) therefore they throw the wood in to ensure it engages the blades and the self feeds. Twisted and knotty wood probably shouldn't be chopped like this.

Latest posts

Back