RS or RM chain for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the wood. AND operator ability to keep the chain out of the dirt. RS is THE way to go for clean Fir. I round file a special way that cuts faster than RSL out of the box.

Both, no doubt - at least until you find out what works best for you!

In my case there is no doubt that chisel (RS if it has to be Stihl, but I prefer Oregon LP/LPX)) works best - but I still keep a few semi chisel (RM) around just in case I encounter some "dirty" Wood.

I cut for firewood and most of what I cut is dead dry and dirty and RM holds up the best. Out cutting by yourself you will never notice the difference in speed, especially if you don't have to sharpen as often.

Both, no doubt - at least until you find out what works best for you!

In my case there is no doubt that chisel (RS if it has to be Stihl, but I prefer Oregon LP/LPX)) works best - but I still keep a few semi chisel (RM) around just in case I encounter some "dirty" Wood.

SawTroll nailed it. If he's giving Americans credit for doing something right, you need to give it a closer look. Oregon makes the best firewood chain. You have to understand the 10 degree down angle that's all. When you go to file it in the woods, you'll thank ST and BA.

Oregon also makes the best firewood cutting bars because of the greaseable tip. With a little care in these areas, you can make firewood cutting pleasant. Blount's engineering staff has obviously been gunning for the sleeper role in the bar/chain market. Don't overlook them thinking it was all lawnmower parts as I once did. That was a mistake.

Besides Rapid Super and Micro, I run Oregon JGX and VXL chains and alot of it.

SawTroll nailed it. If he's giving Americans credit for doing something right, you need to give it a closer look. Oregon makes the best firewood chain. You have to understand the 10 degree down angle that's all. When you go to file it in the woods, you'll thank ST and BA.

Oregon also makes the best firewood cutting bars because of the greaseable tip. With a little care in these areas, you can make firewood cutting pleasant. Blount's engineering staff has obviously been gunning for the sleeper role in the bar/chain market. Don't overlook them thinking it was all lawnmower parts as I once did. That was a mistake.

Besides Rapid Super and Micro, I run Oregon JGX and VXL chains and alot of it.

Thanks - but I don't agree with everything you posted there.

First, I feel that a 10 degree down angle on the file handle is a bit much.

Second, I never grease bar tips, and never saw any need for it.

It would be no fun here if everyone agreed on everything though! ;)

I should have mentioned, a few Oregon chains don't take any down angle. The 91VXL is what we use on climbing saws. No down angle, shouldn't concern ya on your firewood equipment anyhow. There is one type that takes a 45/45 round ground chisel. lol Good God what's that stuff for.

The down angle and the bar tip maintenence are both classic topics for epic debate. It boils down to the camp of OCD machinist types with a clean bench, zero glint, oily rivets and no wiry edges on the bar rails and the other camp of guys who think you are trying to create work for them for no reason. They will get around to it when they are ready and not a moment too soon.

Both camps need to get some brewski's but their wife gets mad. Even then, you still need to settle on a brand. How about Rolling Rock. It's a good beer. At least it was until she caught me.

Latest posts

Back