Rubber Annular Buffers Nightmare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there an easy way without preferably damaging them to get these damn things out of my Stihl chainsaw so i can gain access to the oiler?

If not just a good method in general - they are damn long ones too, aaaarrrrhhhgggg been trying for ages so far and havent got one bugger out, they just spring back.

If you're talking about an 017... just pop (push) them though the handle and leave them in the engine cradle portion.

If you're talking about an 017... just pop (push) them though the handle and leave them in the engine cradle portion.

Lakeside, these are long with maybe three rings around the rubber, for the oiler part on the stihl ms170 i cant see how that can be got out other than by pulling the blighter. The proper service manual tell you to do this too. Trouble is i dont see a way that isnt going to ruin it..?

heck.. I don't know... I just twist the handle to one side and push the rubber though with a blunt object (after popping out the black retainers). After the first one, there's more room for getting the others out.

Not sure what you mean by the last part.

Last edited:
i was wondering if grease or something similar as these guys are in tight

i just bought one of these as i am probaly gonn have to cut the other out. £5 quid - for a peice of damn rubber - i hope nothing is wrong but being clogged.:mad:

got em out, but had to cut em. Each damn buffer replacement = £5 aaaahhhgg. 15 quid just for bits of rubber

lolol (sorry...)

Trust me, you're doing something wrong.... I've taken dozens apart.. no cutting or special tools needed.

guys i have ordered 2 more from another place who are a lot cheaper 2 for £5
Is there a technique of getting the little beggers in?

My service manual (pg. 27) says to pry them out and just push them back in. Fuel tank off for the lower one in the engine housing. Mine came out and went back in o.k. Not easy but they came out.

:cheers: :cheers:

Long handled needle nose

I have a big set of the mentioned needle nose pliers,,,,
Like Andy said with a bit of prodding and use a big screw driver/blount object to push,,,, make sure you have removed the dust cover retainer plugs and fasteners,,,, sometimes thet do get stuck and slide the needle nose in between the housing, Go all the way around the outer circumference to make sure its not stuck then a little pressure,,, I have had them stuck but like andy said with some twisting, pulling and pushing,,, never have had to cut one!!!!!!!! the top one in the front part of the handle can be a booger,,, if you forget to remove the retainer plugs on the backside of the top rear it wont come out !!!!! :monkey:

Last edited:
Yes i was told by an Aborist who obviously didnt have to pay for his - thus cutting them out.

Either was getting a new set should i put any lubricant on em? to push em in

Yes i was told by an Aborist who obviously didnt have to pay for his - thus cutting them out.

Either was getting a new set should i put any lubricant on em? to push em in

No lube,,,,, you must clean the housing very well thats all,,, if they are not clean or if there is any oil they wont stay in,,,, :bang: :bang: :bang:

Is there a special way of getting the blighters in though as i certainly cant exert enough pressure by just pushing them in, they have 3 ridges or bands if you like and to get one is hard - i imagine some tool does this or technique?

Latest posts

Back